Opinions on a 788 build

788 has the fastest lock up time of any factory rifle, or did at its inception,
Its a great choice.
Id go Lilja on the barrell, jewel trigger, and a mcmillan stock.
cant go wrong with 223, or 308.
especially now that you can make remington Accellorators from the recipies and supplies offered for sale now.
22 caliber projectile, 30 caliber sabot, 308 case.
4000 fet per secont...PERFECT predator round.
Good luck.
P.S. get the metal cryogenically treated, 400% wear reduction. $65...whats to think about.

788 ACTION IS EXCELLENT.
FASTEST LOCK UP TIME OF ANY PRODUCTION RIFLE IN ITS DAY.
I COULDNT DISAGREE MORE.
IVE OWNED 2 OF THEM, AND NEVER MISSED ONCE WITH THAT RIFLE.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI have three 223's, the latest being a Rem 788. Been kicking around the idea of buying an X-caliber barrel in 20 cal and making a 20 Practical or 20 Tactical. Probably a new Boyd's thumbhole or Prarie Hunter stock and a Timney. Its still going to be a 788 no matter what I do to it but thinking it will be a really cool 788. I know I could use a 700 action or Savage or????? action. I just thought building it on the 788 would have a bit of cool factor. Whats your thoughts??

It would be a good one, if it would work. But it won't. One of my favorite truck guns is 788 in .223. I'd have made it an AI, but that case won't fit in the magazine. A 223 magazine has a vertical rib on each side just forward of the shoulder, and the 223 case fits fine. But move the shoulder forward just a bit, as in the AI version and it's a little too long and won't fit. The 204 shoulder is much further forward. That case won't go in the 223 magazine. Maybe if those ribs were somehow flattened, but that's not something I'd want to be doing.

I had a 788 in 223 I acquired several years ago. Not having much use for another 223 I had it rebarreled to a 17Rem. ...............I don't regret it.
The main complaint I have with it is it's to darn heavy for a sporter, but it shoots very well and feeds great.
One of my Grandson's now has it and loves it. He did tell me the other day, man, this thing is heavy. He was comparing it to his Ruger American 243. LOL

My vote is to do it.

I say go for it...I had a 788 in 20 Tactical in a McMillan Sako style stock. Sold it to a friend and wish I had not done that. It shot great and never had any feeding problems. It killed a ton of coyotes and the new owner is still killing coyotes with it.
At the end of the day it still will be a 788 and nothing more. I know there is a cult like following, but life is too short to "just say" you have an original 223 788...around here, they might get $300...nothing that you can pad your retirement on for sure.
You won't be disappointed re-barreling it and it will work just fine.

Originally Posted By: AckmanOriginally Posted By: pyscodogI have three 223's, the latest being a Rem 788. Been kicking around the idea of buying an X-caliber barrel in 20 cal and making a 20 Practical or 20 Tactical. Probably a new Boyd's thumbhole or Prarie Hunter stock and a Timney. Its still going to be a 788 no matter what I do to it but thinking it will be a really cool 788. I know I could use a 700 action or Savage or????? action. I just thought building it on the 788 would have a bit of cool factor. Whats your thoughts??

It would be a good one, if it would work. But it won't. One of my favorite truck guns is 788 in .223. I'd have made it an AI, but that case won't fit in the magazine. A 223 magazine has a vertical rib on each side just forward of the shoulder, and the 223 case fits fine. But move the shoulder forward just a bit, as in the AI version and it's a little too long and won't fit. The 204 shoulder is much further forward. That case won't go in the 223 magazine. Maybe if those ribs were somehow flattened, but that's not something I'd want to be doing.

In a later pyscodog post I saw mention of .204 and got it mixed up with his 20 Tactical/Practical post. I wish the 788 magazine was a little different and would accept a .204 case. But either of those .20's on a .223 case would be a great idea. Maybe it was a cheaper gun but the 788 is really a good one. I've had mine since the early 80's, wore out a .222 and rebarrel to .223, and wouldn't think of selling it. Just shoots too well. With no guide rails cut inside, a long threaded barrel shank, and a smaller ejection port it's a very stiff, accurate action. With detachable magazine it works really well for a truck gun. Were I to build a .20 it would probably be on that gun.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogSorry but I wouldn't build anything off a 783. JMO

I've been told by a few different gunsmiths the 783 is actually a pretty decent piece. They, maybe, aren't the most aesthetically pleasing, but that doesn't make them bad to build off of.

Originally Posted By: DannoBoone

If it were me, and it doesn't shoot well under MOA, I would
go with a Prac20. Some rifles have feeding issues with the
Tac20. There are loads with either which will rival the .204R.
Brass is cheap.....there's a lot of .223 brass in my reloading
area, but it gets converted to Tac20.
thumbup.gif

Got with the 20 Practical, easy to form, and it's a flat shooting round.

I shoot a 783 in .243 and its a good shooting gun.prolly wouldnt have been my first choice but my wife bought it for christmas so kinda gotta shoot it

I'm sure they are decent rifles. Ackleyman and others say they are good actions and some reviews say they shoot. Other video's not quite as good of reviews. If I'm spending money on a custom barrel and a custom stock and probably a trigger as well, there are better actions that will hold their value better than a 783. That's just my opinion.

I hear you Bill! Resale would be zilch.

I put a boyd's stock on mine, then a Krieger 4Grove 8T barrel, 6.5 creed. First time to the range I as getting 1/4" groups and less with 140g Hornady bthp Match with H4350.

I resprung the trigger, it is less than 1 pound now. I made a jig fixture to turn the bolt handle down and put on a custom bolt knob.

The 783's are machined very true, even their recoil lug. Lock time on the 783 is very fast.

As to whether or not the 783's will become popular, who knows.

There is a practical side to making choices and what is visually pleasing. Also, the Pride of Ownership issue is huge.

Most of use that loved 788's know they are the Ugly Duckling that just shot like a house a fire. The 783's will fall in that category also.

Nut rifles look like [beeep], but you can barrel 2-3 times yourself for the cost of one R700 to a smith. I just may have to try one in a hot 6.5.

Back