243lbc barrel, who is better?

loadedjoe

looking to put one of these together on an AR.
i guess im down to Xcaliber for $350 shipped
or
Blackhole/columbia river for $244 shipped(25% off right now)

has anyone shot one or the other or both? is one any better than the other for the $100 difference?

Ritch designed the one we talk about. The chamber design he did is not being produced by BHW currently. Caliber foes not use the same chamber. If you call Ritch or go to his website you can order the LBC that will serve you well. Additionally you get his experience and support down the road.

Greg

The blanks are made by an outfit out east that is a major supplier for lots of companies. The steel used is the same as all the top end guys 416R. The rifling is done using propriety designed five land true polygon rifling. The machinery used is state of the art. Stress relief is computerized. Barrel one in a run is as close to barrel one hundred and accuracy is consistent. When TO gets the blanks they are CNC turned and each is hand chambered.

Greg

Originally Posted By: loadedjoeahh, so Ritchs are made from FN blanks. got it.

I don't know where that came from. I can assure you FN has nothing to do with it. AFAIK FN only does hammer forged barrels and these are not that. I can't remember the company name but I talked to them at an NRA show a couple years ago about there goodies as I have more tan a passing interest in barrels and performance.

Ritch has been getting Savage style barrels from TO that are shooting in the 3's in 20 Practical, 6 Creed and 6.5 Creed. I'm shooting 6X6.8 and 22-NXS tubes on AR's from them right now and they are all doing under 0.5 and I'm not even in the same zip code in the ability of Ritch.

Greg

Ritchs sound like the ultimate and probably shoot fine.

im leaning toward X-caliber though. i have yet to try any of their barrels. ive seen some good reports on them, bolt and AR.
just didnt know if the $244 BlackHole would be just as good....?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: steve garrettCall mike at dedicates technologies

does he have a 243lbc reamer? if so, id go that route. im not scared of a shilen.

I had a 6 LBC from BHW that I built and it shoot lights out. I found the lack of reloading tools for it to be the biggest challenge. I used an S die and bushings, but I'd rather have had a set of name brand full length sizing dies.

CH4D has dies. You'll have to call them. If i had to do it again i'd just get the sizer. I'm using aForester 6 PPC seater. As far as barrels i have both my 243 LBC and 264 LBC from Ritch, and have no complaints or issues.

Back