CC Revolver Options

Originally Posted By: 1750ShooterBought a Kimber K6S & love it. I’m shooting +P .38 Special in it because I can’t recover from a .357 mag shot fast enough. Lucky Gunner did tests of .38 Special, .357 mag, & 9mm ammo a while ago & the results were an eye opener.

Thinking about a K6S as well. Possibly the 3” DASA. Might have to wait until there are a few more holster options on the market.

Originally Posted By: GCYou aren't getting through body armor with your handgun.

With that in mind, is there any merit to just thumping him harder with a .45 or 10mm? Is the additional energy of the larger and/or faster slug more likely to temporarily incapacitate a bad guy in body armor through blunt force trauma? I sure ain't going for head shots in that kind of situation.

Originally Posted By: DesertRamOriginally Posted By: GCYou aren't getting through body armor with your handgun.

With that in mind, is there any merit to just thumping him harder with a .45 or 10mm? Is the additional energy of the larger and/or faster slug more likely to temporarily incapacitate a bad guy in body armor through blunt force trauma? I sure ain't going for head shots in that kind of situation.

Handguns not much, if at all. The guy that really brought affordable body armor to LE is Richard Davis of Second Chance Body Armor. He used to do demonstrations in which he would wear a vest and balance on one leg while shooting himself in the chest with a 6" M29 . 44 Magnum full house 240 gr. load. The impact wouldn't rock him off balance and he would immediately spin and engage gallon jugs of water in rapid fire with his .44 S&W. Did the same thing sorta with a .308 rifle. He wore armor certified to stop a rifle cartridge and would balance on one leg while an assistant shot him at near point blank range with an FN FAL .308 and 150 gr. FMJ. The shot would not knock him off balance. I think I have some of his old VHS tapes showing this stuff.

Edit: I found him on YouTube.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IwBLL7Z3OvU

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brad PhillipsCan you imagine the stones it took to do that the first time ?

Huh, EVERYTIME!

Originally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: Brad PhillipsCan you imagine the stones it took to do that the first time ?

Huh, EVERYTIME!

+1

I understand I might not get through body armor with my handgun, but, it's the best I can carry with me, so I use the best load I think might work.

A quote, paraphrased "if I was expecting trouble, I'd bring a rifle" kind of applies here.

I carried a Ruger 4 inch GP100 in 357 mag for some years. I admit it's not the smallest/lightest for concealed carry but I managed and I like shooting it.

The factory santoprene grips are great for managing recoil but I found caused my jacket to hang up, so I replaced them with Hogue cocabola grips. jackets, vests, T shorts etc just slide right over these though you will feel the recoil more.

Years ago the FBI went to a 2-inch S&W 357mag.
I have carried an S&W chief 38 special since 1969.
The only thing I have added was a set of laser grips.
That was about 10 years ago. I carry a Kimber Solo sometimes.
The Kimber likes Nyclad rounds and so do I.
I lost my first Chief in Vietnam in 1972 when I was hurt.
The first thing out of the Hospital was a new Chief.
Still have it, it saw action in Baghdad in 1991-92.
Now it goes Deer hunting with me, my old friend.

S&W 640 Pro in 357 Magnum. J-frame same size as my 642CT, fits in a pocket holster, ankle holster, belly band, hip holster. Some say the recoil is a bit much, but I get lots of range time and am used to the guns recoil. I also have a 460 XVR, and a 4” S&W 500, so I’m used to revolvers that kick a little bit.

Smith air weight 38 spl.
Conceals easy in jacket pocket,ankle holster,etc.
Shoots decent in spite of the short barrel.
Planning on adding a second one to the arsenal soon.

Revolvers are extremely effective in direct collisions with the enemy. Some have a fairly large destructive power. We recently bought Polyethylene Body Armor from spam link and tested it for durability with a revolver. I did not expect a plate that is made of dense ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene to contain a bullet so effectively.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: bugmenotRevolvers are extremely effective in direct collisions with the enemy. Some have a fairly large destructive power. We recently bought Polyethylene Body Armor from spam link and tested it for durability with a revolver. I did not expect a plate that is made of dense ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene to contain a bullet so effectively.

Sneaky commercial plug for the product...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, fugly. But i belive it does exactly the opposite of what you said and puts your wrist more in line with the bore for less muzzle rise, but can't say as I've never used one.

It appears to be very narrow per report and trying a god solid two handed grip on that might be a bit problematic. My little S&W 357 Mags are romper stompers when loaded to the nosebleed level and I dang sure wouldn't want to try them with that grip.

I can safely say I do have a bit of experience in shooting full bore revolvers fast and this would be right there at the bottom of my list. A big range session with them would be a sure trip to the ice bucket IMHO.

Greg

Last edited:
Back