Volume?

coyotewillie

How much volume do you actually need? I know that coyotes have amazing hearing. Case in point...a buddy and I had one come in from approx 1/4 mile one time just on a lip squeek, really easily. Then he and I were hunting last weekend and calling a big, long draw into a 5-7 mph, 45 degree wind down to some cedars. Had a dog come out of them twice (325 yds), sniff around and go lay down in the sun. Figured he just wasn't hungry. Ended up walking him out. Left the caller running while we went down to the trees. Walked back about 100 yds before we could even hear a hint of the caller.

Calling in Nebraska, so rolling hills (pasture/fields), with some trees thrown in. I've always hated to have the call too loud and spook them, but sometimes with the setup, wind, just doesn't seem like I can hear it. Do you guys feel like you need the option of massive volume on a regular basis? I don't like to go out if it's blowing more than 15 mph (mainly because the wind chill anymore gets to me!). But I never know if I'm spooking them with too much volume or if I'm even getting it out there so they can hear it.

I'm using a FP Firestorm. One day I think the caller is more than adequate, some days it seems like it's whispering. I modulate the volume but still! Always thinking I should get something bigger(louder). Do you feel that the Firestorm is under powered (under volumed?)?

Last edited:
Many times I have driven a vehicle up to within 100 yards of deer and coyotes and they didn't know I was there.

Calling against a small breeze or wind will keep your sound from going nearly as far as calling with the breeze or wind.

If you are calling where there is rises, hills, mountains, ditches, canyons, trees and patches of thick cover the lay of the land can keep your sounds from getting to the coyotes location especially if you are calling against the breeze or wind.

I hunt some big wide open country and some steep mountain country with thick Junipers and Scrub Oak trees. On every stand I make I will play my Foxpro on full volume 40 sometime during the stand. On some stands I will play full volume 40 most of the time during the stand.

Quite often the coyotes will show up within 2 to 5 minutes after I have gone to full volume on a louder sound.

If you have not called in anything after 10 to 12 minutes of lower volume calling what do you have to lose by going to more volume for 30 seconds to a minute and then turning the volume back down?

Quite often I will switch to Pup Distress 3 sound on full volume for 3 to 4 minutes at the end of my stands and quite often a coyote or coyotes will show up while Pup Distress 3 is on full volume.

I run my Fusion and CS-24C on a 12 volt battery and use a SP-60 speaker with them so they are very loud.

Back