243.... Any new OVER COUNTER AMMO that has a Good B .C ?

NDAR15MAN

I have a 243 Tikka 3. Has a Burris Eliminator lll scope in it. I have just shot the Winchester and federal 100 gr soft point the last 3 or 4 years. So many new bullets out there now a days that really reach way out there. Am I missing anything on new brands of ammo / bullet that has a better B.C then what I am using now ? I don’t reload so it has to be a OVER THE COUNTER AMMO. Thanks Marty

Most 243's are 1-10, I think Remingtons are 1-9.25. Those twists are fine for the typical 100 gr hunting ammo, and once in a while you'll get one to shoot a bullet with a bc of .5 like the 105 amax. But mostly they won't stabilize that type of bullet, therefore ammo companies don't load ammo that won't work in a majority of rifles out there.

That being said, I haven't searched for any new 243 ammo so I don't know what's out there. I use an 87 gr vmax with a bc of .4, and that would work pretty well for you if someone loaded it.

It's also a big reason the 6mm creedmoor has taken off so well IMO. They are usually twisted 1-8 or faster, so they handle the super bc bullets that have become popular and there is ammo loaded that way.

Actually I just looked, midway stocks Hornady ammo with the 87 vmax, has one 5 star review from a guy with a Tikka t3x.

I will take a look. Is this a old bullet or one of these NEW aerodynamic bullets that has a real high B.C.rating ?
Like the 6.5 creedmoor ammo ? MD

You didn't say how far you were wanting to shoot and whether you were wanting hunting bullets.

With that said, I would recommend Hornady Whitetail ammunition with the 100 gr Interlock. It has a .405 G1 BC and will allow you to shoot as far as you want for hunting purposes and will still work with a factory barrel. Remember, if going to a really high BC such as using a Berger Hybrid or similar, you'll need the appropriate barrel twist of 1/8 or better.

Lastly, if your shots are under 400 yards, BC matters little for typical hunting shots. Find the ammo that works best in your rifle and go from there.

You might check out the Nosler 90 gr AccuBonds. They sell them over the counter but I worked up a load using them for a friend's 243 and they shoot really well.

Hornady is an EXCELLENT choice. They recently invented 5 million dollars into projectile research and development.
They are making some of the best ammo around right now.
Berger bullets are now offered in loaded ammo.
Winchester XP3 is expensive, but God its good.

Back