17 Hornet

Originally Posted By: parsonWhat bullet weight seems most constantly accurate?

Are you referring to factory loaded ammo?

I've shot the factory 20gr Vmax and 15.5gr NTX ammo in my 17 Hornets and they both shoot equally as well, can't say one really shoots any better than the other.

I have a bunch of the 15.5gr bullets to load but to date all I've reloaded with has been the 20gr Vmax bullet.

Not sure I completely understand your question but hopefully I helped answer it in some way.

I've shot the Hornady 20 gr vmax and 25 gr hollow points. Both are extremely accurate and close enough in group size that it is just a matter of preference for which type of bullet you'd rather shoot.

I have shot the 15.5, the 20 and the 25 grain factory stuff and I'm not sure that any of it is any appreciably better than the other. For my usual target of ground squirrels I prefer the 20 grain Vmax. I think they are the best overall bullet for the little Hornet. My preference anyway.

As Rustydust mentioned, I've shot them all in my CZ. It's shot them all well, but I also lean towards the 20 grain VMax since I'm shooting ground squirrels. The 20 grain Vmax provides the best compromise of speed, explosion factor and BC. If I was shooting big critters such as coyote, I'd certainly go with a 25 grain bullet.

Sorry if I was not clear. What motivated my question was the result of watching several YouTube videos. Seemed the majority said of factory ammo, the obsolete 25 gr Hornady was most accurate. So I was curious as to what most found to be accurate on this site rather factory or reloads.

20 grain Vmax (handloads) has been the most accurate in my gun, but then again the only 25 grain ammo I've shot is factory stuff and that's not really a fair comparison. It was still plenty accurate to kill critters. I've never dabbled in the 15.5 grain bullet size because I don't have to shoot lead free and the 20's have been so accurate with CFE BLK, I've not been wanting for anything else.

Last edited:
Back