60 gr Vmax or 50 gr Ballistic tip

BangFlop

I’m looking to work up a load with Benchmark for a 20” barreled 223 Rem.

Would like to know your opinion of both of these bullets on coyotes? Shots will be under 200 yards, with the vast majority being under 100 yards.

50 grain pushed faster and slightly stouter bullet

60 grain pushed slower but more fragile

What say you?

Steve

Some guys like the 60 gr.
I have done quite well with the 50's in .223 to 300 yds and a bit over at times, or in the .22-250 to 400 yds regularly and to 600 on a few.

When I was shooting a 223 my got to bullets after the demise of Herters 50gr SP I shot the 50gr NBT and was never disappointed with it. That was out of an 18" barreled Rem 600. Load was right of the IMR handbook.

Last edited:
I’ve heard so many good things about the 60 gr Vmax, but I think benchmark will push the 50 gr about 300-400 fps faster.

I loaded my son up some 40 gr Ballistic Tips for his 26” 12tw and think those will be clipping right along (still have to test, loaded up though).

I’m only looking to kill them, fur friendly is not a priority.

Keep the information coming!

Steve

I've used both.

The 60gr Vmax worked well at 222RemMag/223rem speeds, but we started to have splashes when shot from my son's 223wssm @3,700+. His rifle is so accurate with the Vmax, that's what we use. Even with a splash, the coyotes are hit so hard they don't/can't run.

At the speeds you are probably getting, both should work fine.

10grs is not much. There are 437.5grs in one ounce, to put it in perspective.

I agree with Tripod3, I hand load for two 22-250's and one 223 and use the 50gr vmax, H335 for the 223 and Varget for the 22-250's. I shoot 50gr blackhills ballistic tip ammo in my AR's and all of these gun shoot very well and have killed there share of coyotes.

Then why all the hype on this forum for the 60 gr?

I’m not worried about fur, I want accuracy first and then as dead as possible out of my 223 Rem bolts.

I personally shoot for accuracy and one shot kills. Of course if your shot placement is not right (which could be for any kill shot/bullet grain) then you could have a runner or spinner. All of my 22 caliber weapons are 1-8 twist, give good accuracy and do the job. Maybe the 60 grain will do a little better, but I've never felt the need for a heavier bullet. I also do not care about the fur. Just my two cents.

Originally Posted By: BangFlopThen why all the hype on this forum for the 60 gr?

I’m not worried about fur, I want accuracy first and then as dead as possible out of my 223 Rem bolts.

I think the 60 gr shooters started for several reasons, The occasional vmax splash or runners, 55gr softpoint spinners, or wanting to anchor something with marginal shots in brushy areas.
The .223 is famous for spinners and runners which gets argued here annually. Larger calibers can do this too but not as likely.
Reguardless I still have a standard protocol for yardage per caliber.
I am in open country, so shoot best 50 gr for speed, accuracy, and flatter ballistics.
Vmax's- good accuracy good bc and cheapest, but can splash on bone.
Blitzking 50 gr, great accuracy, better bc, more expensive, good terminal results.
NBT nosler 50 gr great accuracy, good bc, more expensive, tougher bullet, great terminal results.
Have dropped them on the spot to 300 or more yds with all three bullets on standing shots. Have dumped more than a few on running shots.

50gr nosler ballistic tip. I load 25gr of Benchmark and 50gr noslers for a buddy’s 20” barrel 223. It’s about 3055 average. I have watched him anchor coyotes plenty of times and is a great bobcat load.

I myself shoot 40gr noslers and kill coyotes just as easy as anything else. And they’re only going 3400. Hit em where it counts and they anchor 99.99999% of the time

I have used both. I like the 50gr Nosler ballistic tip more. I use it in my Kimber 223AI with an 18" barrel. I am actually going to take it out west next week, because it is so light and extremely accurate. Even with it's 1-8 twist Lilja barrel.

I prefer the 55g ballistic tips or any one of the many 55g Sierra's, hot load of Benchmark with a cci 450. I have never seen failures in the 55's from 222, 223,22/250, and 22/250 AI's. Sierra blitz king is VERY explosive and that would not be my first choice.

We have had such great luck with the 55g Hornady Sp with the cannalure that I bought an entire case of them...this bullet just shoots, and is one of the tougher 55g...great for coyotes.

Back