Need advice on getting into thermal/night vision

I have a FLIR LS64, a D740, an ATN 4K Pro 3-14, and have had thermal. The ATN 4K Pro is pretty darn good for the $$. I shot two skunks last night at 25 yards. An upgraded IR illuminator is not an option, it's a must have. Other less expensive NV options are the Sionyx Aurora, and the Pard NV007 (clip on)and NV008 standalone.

Originally Posted By: Magnumatving The one farm we hunt is up against city limits, so having dogs in the field is a possibility. Positive identification would be crucial in that area.

Are you a bigger fan of the Sightmark Wrath versus the ATN X-Sight Pro? I know ATN had some issues when they brought the Pro on the market, but most of those issues seem to have ben resolved. I have never shot a domestic dog thinking it was a coyote with thermal but I have shot a fox thinking it was a coyote, so you do have to be careful. With thermal you are seeing a heat (IR Radiation) signature, so you really have to watch for subtle differences in size, movement, etc.

As far as ATN goes, I haven't used the 4K only the Xsight II. I had issues with my Xsight II. In addition, it is very hard to find night vision/thermal dealers who carry ATN. The reason most stopped carrying ATN is due to the high rate of return with their Night Vision and thermal equipment. ATN is still available through big box stores and some large online retailers.

When reputable dealers stopped carrying them, due to their high failure rate, is when I decided to move away from ATN. You will find some people have good luck with them. The people with the most success seem to turn off most of the extra features.

There is a chance with any company and any electronic device that there could be issues.

As far as differences in the Wraith and the 4K, the 4K records video and sound and the Wraith is just video, and the 4K has an internal battery and the Wraith does not. The 4K has a 3x and 5x native magnification option, while the Wraith is 4x. The Wraith is less expensive. These are the main differences.

Originally Posted By: Kirsch I have never shot a domestic dog thinking it was a coyote with thermal but I have shot a fox thinking it was a coyote, so you do have to be careful. With thermal you are seeing a heat (IR Radiation) signature, so you really have to watch for subtle differences in size, movement, etc.

As far as ATN goes, I haven't used the 4K only the Xsight II. I had issues with my Xsight II. In addition, it is very hard to find night vision/thermal dealers who carry ATN. The reason most stopped carrying ATN is due to the high rate of return with their Night Vision and thermal equipment. ATN is still available through big box stores and some large online retailers.

When reputable dealers stopped carrying them, due to their high failure rate, is when I decided to move away from ATN. You will find some people have good luck with them. The people with the most success seem to turn off most of the extra features.

There is a chance with any company and any electronic device that there could be issues.

As far as differences in the Wraith and the 4K, the 4K records video and sound and the Wraith is just video, and the 4K has an internal battery and the Wraith does not. The 4K has a 3x and 5x native magnification option, while the Wraith is 4x. The Wraith is less expensive. These are the main differences.

Great information! The risk of shooting a dog is minimal. We deer hunt the daylights out of this property and have yet to see a dog in the fields. But it still is a possibility with houses nearby.

I may go with the Wraith and use the cost difference to buy an upgraded IR light. Any suggestions for a better IR light under $150?

Originally Posted By: Magnumatving I may go with the Wraith and use the cost difference to buy an upgraded IR light. Any suggestions for a better IR light under $150? Not my area of expertise since I only use thermal for night hunting. If you do a search on Predator Masters, there are lots of threads on various IR lights. Hopefully, others will respond as well who have used lots of different options. Good Luck.

I have been using the Evola T20 IR from Amazon, about $65, with good success out to about 250 yds on fox. I can see farther but haven't shot beyond 250. This is on a Wraith.

The ATN 4K Pro is heads and shoulders above the old XSight II, even above the early 4K Pros which had firmware issues. All that has changed. I bought mine direct from ATN. In the past, I owned a Sightmark Photon XT 4.5. I considered a Wraith, but my Photon XT had terrible battery life (1.5-2 hours depending on IR usage)and I believe the Wraith to be about the same. After the 8 hour battery life of the Pulsar Trail XP 38, I simply could not go back. The ATN 4K Pro has an 18 hour battery life. Changing batteries in the dark is not my idea of a good time, although I think you can buy extra battery trays, keep them filled and swap them out.

In your price range for the IR illuminator, you'll probably be in Fleabay territory. If you can spend a little more this one looks good. I may get one myself (even though I have 3 already). The slider dimmer would be nice if it works properly. I have a High Tech Redneck Infinity illuminator with the dial dimmer, but as others have noted, it goes from zero illumination to 100% illumination in about 1/4 turn so it's not that useful.

https://www.predatorhunteroutdoors.com/i...ghtsnipe-ns750/

Last edited:
As for batteries on the Wraith I carry a set of 4 AA rechargeable and 1 18650 rechargeable for the IR and have no trouble changing them out in total darkness if need be. Most nites I don't need to change them out but I only hunt 3 or 4 hrs and the temps around 20-50 degrees. In colder climates they may not last as long.

For any thermal or NV product that I use as a scope, I never run batteries as I only use a battery pack. This way you don't have to worry about batteries.

Back