Ruger 17 Hornet

parson

Any body have experience with the Ruger 17 Hornet with the 18.5 inch barrel, especially interested in accuracy and with which bullet weight. Thx

I don't know about the 18" barrel but I have one in 24" that is a tack driver. It loves the Hornady 20 or 25 grain factory ammo.

Mine's similar. A 22Hornet, many years ago converted to 17AH with 20-1/2" barrel. I think 18-1/2 would be better, easier to handle in and out of the truck. It's an accurate round. You'll just have to mess with yours to find best load. Winchester 680, AA1680, and 20's work for me. And the surprise most accurate powder AA2200.

Haven’t bought it yet, very pricey but it’s threaded and ready to go. Found several on Gunbroker but no bargains. Seriously considering rebarreling a 22 Hornet. Probably can’t save much but can get the barrel of my choice. New Rugers are better but older Hornets were lousy shooters

Originally Posted By: parsonHaven’t bought it yet, very pricey but it’s threaded and ready to go. Found several on Gunbroker but no bargains. Seriously considering rebarreling a 22 Hornet. Probably can’t save much but can get the barrel of my choice. New Rugers are better but older Hornets were lousy shooters

I'm not sure about what designates an older Hornet by your definition, but I own two Ruger 77 22 Hornets and both are very accurate rifles. One is almost 20 years old and the other is approaching 8-9 years old. I've done nothing to either rifle other than put scopes on them. They both get used a lot by a couple of my grandsons when they come to visit.

As for the 18.5" Ruger 77/17's, I don't own one in 17 Hornet, but I do own one in 17 WSM that is also very accurate for what it is. It is very handy and very nice to carry with the shorter barrel. The barrel is not threaded however.

Originally Posted By: parson Seriously considering rebarreling a 22 Hornet. Probably can’t save much but can get the barrel of my choice.

If this is an option for you, that would be a good plan. Not only will you get whatever length and contour you want, but you'll also get a much better quality barrel and chamber, over a factory barrel/chamber, too.

IIRC, the older Ruger 77/22 Hornets had a barrel block similar to the 10-22. The new rifles have a barrel that actually screws into the action. Mines a newer version and there is no block. I had it reamed to a K-Hornet and with several different bullets its very accurate. Not a bench rest rifle but sub MOA easy, sometimes way better. With a 35 grain Vmax and 13.5 grains of Lil Gun, little to no recoil and shoots nickle size groups at 100yds. Whats not to like??? A little pricey but I think you get a lot of gun for the money.

Nobody seemed to have any experience with the Ruger #7220, so taking my chances I ordered one today, will see

Last edited:
I have the longer barrel Ruger 77/17 and it's a tack driver as for bullet weights I haven't had anything shoot poorly from it....20 and 25 gr are generally what I shoot and it loves every load I've fed it.

Well, unfortunately I bought the short barreled Ruger at about $900. One of the worst mistakes I have made in a while. Factory 20 gr will at best do 11/2 at 100 but more often than not closer to 13/4 to 2. So far reloads using Hornady 25gr Match is worse. Did a trigger job on it now thinking of bedding and free floating but have my doubts it will help much. Really quiet and pleasant to shoot with Switchback can on it and no noticeable difference in accuracy with or without.

Not knowing the weather conditions, a little wind reeks havoc on the little 17's. It may not like the 25 grain pills either. I had a Savage in 17 Hornet and all it shot good was factory 15.5 grain Hornady IIRC. Its been a while since I owned it. My 77/22 is by no means a "Tack Driver" but it shoots pretty good. Right around an inch on a good day and I do my part. If its a really good day sub inch is pretty easy. You may need to just try some different loads and get more rounds through it. And don't expect bug hole groups.

Correction, it was the 15.5 factory stuff. Not 17 grain. Thanks B23!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pyscodog I had a Savage in 17 Hornet and all it shot good was factory 17 grain Hornady IIRC.

Are you talking about a 17 Hornet or 17 HMR?

The only ammo I'm aware of, past or present, for the 17 Hornet is/has been the 15.5 NTX, 20gr, and 25gr bullets. The 17gr bullet, to my knowledge, has always been exclusive to the 17 HMR ammo.

What is this 17gr 17 Hornet stuff you're referring to?

My bad. It was the 15.5. Like I said, been a while since I owned it. I went back and corrected my mistake. Thank you!

Last edited:
Just before all of this current situation broke loose, I got a call from a LGS who had been trying to get one, and they had received one of the new Ruger 77/17 18.5" 17 Hornet rifles.

I have it scoped but my wife and I are hanging close to home until the pandemic situation approves. But if it shoots like my 17 WSM and a couple of 22 Hornet rifles built on the same action, it should make me happy.

Quite frankly, I'll be surprised if it doesn't shoot well based on previous experience with the Ruger 77's. I know that isn't what you're supposed to say on the internet about Rugers, but I've never had a bad one of any kind so far over a lot of years. That includes several iterations of the Ruger 77 CF rifles as well as Ruger handguns, Ruger 77 RF action rifles, and a couple of O/U shotguns.

I guess time will tell, but I wouldn't have bought it if I thought it was junk. That approach has served me well in the past.

don't mean it to sound like a "my dad can beat up your dad" kinda thing,

but

i bet my ugly savage m25 17hh can outshoot your ruger m77 17hh.

prove me wrong.
tt2.gif

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotdon't mean it to sound like a "my dad can beat up your dad" kinda thing,

but

prove me wrong.
tt2.gif

laugh.gif

Can I wait until its safe for old men to go outside and share habitat with others...? If not, my groups will only be from about 50 feet......

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotdon't mean it to sound like a "my dad can beat up your dad" kinda thing,

but

prove me wrong.
tt2.gif

Wouldn’t take much to outshoot mine, some could probably throw a rock more accurately

Back