Coyote Vocals... What they mean, When to use them, and Why...

skinney

Director
We All hear the questions a lot, and I also hear a lot of "experts" give a lot of different explanations on what they mean, and what sound "number" to play. We've recorded some very vocal Coyotes this year and after reviewing the footage from commitment to death, there's a lot that we've learned.

Below are a couple "portions" of some video clips we'll be posting on our YouTube Channel with a lot of updated info on what we're finding in some of our vids!

I had one like the first clip, wheeled out to a slope and folded my wheelchair up. After calling shortly, one answered and barked the whole way in, exactly like that one.
Got some great pics and let it go.
Had several like the second one.
No honest clue what they were trying to say to me.

IDK, but I'd bet it wasn't complimentary, Mark.
wink.gif

ETA: Believe I'd let one go in exchange for a picture like that!

Regards,
hm

Ill bet the first was a male sounds like a reply I.E. male dominance to the one barking farther away.GET OFF MY LAWN so to speak.
second is a warning bark.
At least that is what I would call them .

Good videos. I had one come in like the first one a couple years back, it was a rush for sure! I took it as ticked off, get out of here warning to the coyote he thought I was.

The short version of the story of that stand, the coyote started going off after we had packed up the stand before and were walking out. We decided to move in on him from a different angle, and howled, played some breeding sounds, and then fight. After quite a while he answered, and started moving in, doing that ticked bark/howl the whole way.

The second sounds like challenge howls to me.

Back