22 mag fired out of battery?

canineshooter

I was just shooting a semi auto 22 mag rim fire rifle. I don’t want to say the manufacturer of the rifle or the ammo until I have an idea what happened.
I bought the rifle new about 10 months ago. Probably around 600 rounds through it by now. http://

• I was shooting targets in my yard. It was about the fifth shot from the magazine.
    I noticed it was a much louder shot. I was wearing earmuffs and my ears were ringing.
    Shrapnel hit my face between my eyes. Didn’t do any damage but startled the [beeep] out of me. The clip/magazine was pushed out halfway. I see a hair line crack in the clip now. The case was stuck in the chamber with a very deformed/exploded rim.
    I think it fired without the bolt tight to the chamber or the rim of the cartridge exploded.
    I will show some pics soon. Anyone ever have something like this happen?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: canineshooterNo. 40 grain was used.
+1
g.png

I have the same gun but only shoot Winchesters in it and never had any problems, could be the ammo hard to tell, you might want to check the gas block and see if its plugged up.

I never had a problem with a .22 WMR, but I blew the bottom out of an AR mag in .17 HMR. I had the same upper in .22WMR, it was problem free.

What does "out of battery" from the title mean? The only things I can think of are repeated physical force or you applied an electric charge to it. My gut tells me you mean something else though...

Since there is no locking bolt, its is neither in nor out of battery.
If the bolt wasn't against the case, i doubt the firing pin would have been able to set it off.
My guess is for faulty ammunition.

Question since i don't know what make this weapon is and can't do my own research.
Does this weapon actually have a gas block as mentioned by another person or is it a simple blow back design?

I meant the cartridge fired without the bolt not being completely forward. It's a Magnum Research. I believe they are a close copy of the old Ruger 22 mag auto.
Wikipedia explaines "out of battery"

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: canineshooterI meant the cartridge fired without the bolt not being completely forward. It's a Magnum Research. I believe they are a close copy of the old Ruger 22 mag auto.
Wikipedia explaines "out of battery"

Originally Posted By: canineshooterI don't believe there is any gas block on this design.

From Magnum Research RE the 22 WMR rifles:

"The patented operating system is a unique combination of the 10/22’s blow-back design, with the addition of a system that taps combustion gases through a port in the barrel to assist in cycling the action. This hybrid operating system mandates the use of ammunition loaded with 40- to 50-grain bullets only, and Magnum Research explicitly states that the use of 30-grain ammunition will void the warranty."

"All barrels feature an 11 degree crown. The .22 Win Mag version has a patented gas system and block under the barrel that taps a small amount of gas through a orifice hole in the barrel."

You'll have to remove the barreled action from the stock to get to the under barrel gas port/gas block.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: Hanidya21Originally Posted By: canineshooterNo. 40 grain was used.
+1

oh no. don't tell me mr. +1 is back.
smile.gif

Sure looks like it.

Gotcha, thanks for explaining. I only own one semi-automatic weapon (Marlin semi-auto .22 lr). I'll keep that in mind in the event it ever happens.

some times a round will hang up just short of full entry into the chamber.If it is close the round will fire without the rim fully contained covered in battery and you have an exploded case similar to what you are showing.I had a Remington 552 Speed master that would do that when it was dirty.

I have a 922M that did that once. A bit worse than yours, from the looks of it. Ended up with a little bit of cartridge brass in my hand and the stock was shattered.

Can't know exactly why. Figured it was likely a bit of a stovepipe though.

- DAA

Like I said I bought this gun less than a year ago. First time I've had a 22 mag. I have a ruger 1022 long rifle for 30 years and thousands of rounds and never had anything like this happen.
I really don't feel like shooting it without knowing exactly what happened.

Back