I bought the FLIR Scion OTM-266

BJJ223

It is amazing. I have owned the LS64 and LS-XR. The OTM-266 blows it out of the water. It is a huge improvement. The image is incredible.

Just in case anyone is considering it.

If Flir has them at Shot Show, I hope to check them out. One caveat is every thermal looks good in a climate controlled, low humidity internal environment.

I don't have a lot of time outdoors with the OTM-266. But, just from some preliminary time outside with it last night, it is MUCH better than the LS-XR.

The LS-64 image was poor
The LS-XR image was okay
The OTM image is crisp and clear

I spoke to a very helpful person at FLIR today. He said it is okay to use rechargeable CR123s in it. That being said, I am still a little afraid to do that being they are higher voltage. I have heard so many warnings to avoid rechargeable CR123s.

Last edited:
I had read in the Flir PTS manual that 3.7 volt rechargeables (standard 123s are 3v) are OK as well. If it doesn't state it in the manual, have them send you an email stating the same, and then you have proof if they ever say they won't warranty it due to a voltage situation.

I have the OTM 266 Scion with the 18mm lens, the FOV is awesome, tried the 25mm lens version and it truly is a long range capable kit.

Should be a Scion Bluetooth app available soon as well as an external rechargeable battery pack.

I think the 18mm lens is the way to go too for hunting. I could not be happier with my OTM-266. It exceeded all my expectations.

Until the Bluetooth App is available, how does a person transfer captured images and videos?

I know many will say the 1x is better as it gives a very wide FOV. However in some terrains there is a point where I prefer more base mag and a little less FOV. In the open plains I hunt, I like something between 1.4 and 2x. Anything less and you can’t really tell if you are looking at a rabbit, coyote, deer and even a mouse in some extreme instances. It is also extremely hard to get any type of depth perception so you can’t tell distances very well. I realize a scanner is to verify an animal, and scope to shoot, but personally I do find there is a point where more FOV no longer helps in certain terrains. Just my .02.

My old LS-XR had an 18x14 degree FOV
The OTM-266 has a 24x18 degree FOV

For me, the superior image and wider FOV makes it better than the LS-XR for me.

But, that is just my opinion. Everyone has different needs.

Now, how do you get photos out of the OTM266? The manual doesn't talk about this.

Last edited:
Curious how it compares to the Hogster-R as a scanner if anybody has looked through both. Obviously two different animals but still curious...

The Scion hasn't been out very long nor the Hogster. The potential of people who may have used or looked through both may be fairly limited. I put together a chart so you can compare. I included the Pulsar Helion XP38 in the comparison because that is in the field with me every time the Hogster is, and is the flagship scanner in the Pulsar line up. The two things that still surprise me every time I use the Hogster is how far I can see objects and how good the image is for a 384 thermal.

I will hopefully find out more about the future of the Scion series at Shot Show. It does sound like Flir has exited the Civilian Market and will no longer be carrying the PTS series. However, I did hear rumors they may continue with the Scion, but not sure how they will be sold.

comp2.jpg

Thanks Kirsch for the table.

Regarding the OTM266 - The battery life is stated to be 4.5 hrs, it is 640x512, and it does have PIP.

Is there a 640 / 12um core Hogster in the works for the future? It looks like a nice scope.

I apologize on the PIP incorrect value for the OTM. I read over the information on their website and didn't see it or a detection rating. I updated the chart as I also found their detection information after a lot of digging. With detection, it depends on what they are using for size for detection, so it isn't always an apples-apples comparison.

I know Flir says the battery is 4.5 hours but they never seem to live up to their ratings for any company. They must test them in 80 degree weather. Pulsar indicated 10 hrs on the Helion when they first came out and I can barely get 5 if I am lucky in colder temps. Most places list 8 hrs for Pulsar but that is still a stretch in my opinion. However, I updated the chart to reflect what Flir states.

Bering Optics has a 640x480 scanner called the Phenom. I have one that I am testing right now. I will talk more about this scanner in the future. As far as the Hogster is concerned, I can ask Bering Optics this question at Shot Show. I kind of doubt it, but you never know. This scope was designed to appeal to a very large audience with a scope/scanner combo at a reasonable price. When you go 640x480, lots of times it prices many people out of the market.

I can tell you that I have had the Hogster 35mm in the field with my Pulsar Helion XP38 which is a 640x480 and it isn't very far off from an image standpoint, and in my opinion it has a much better image and detection in comparison to the older Flir core used in the Flir Scout III 640. What I am getting at is many people are stuck on something has to be a 640 res whether it really is an improvement or not.

It does appear the Scion is 640x512 res. Flir has it on in their product drop-down page listed as 640x480, so I changed this as well on the chart. Thanks for the clarifications.

For. now, to get photos and videos out, you have to hook up the mini-C USB plug to your computer and download them.

I installed a 64 GB mini SDHC card that holds tons of images and videos.

Also got a 27,000 mAHr rechargeable battery pack to run the OTM for a week at a time.

Have not tried them, I did try three 16650s and that did not work.

I don’t see why they would not work though, since the rechargeable external battery pack I am using has the same higher Li ion voltage.

Originally Posted By: SkyPupHave not tried them, I did try three 16650s and that did not work.

I don’t see why they would not work though, since the rechargeable external battery pack I am using has the same higher Li ion voltage.

I've been looking at the Scion lately. I don't doubt you SkyPup, I just don't understand why 3 16650's won't work. 2 CR123's are the same length as 1 16650. That is disappointing. Maybe 6 16340's will work, but if not the Scion will cost way too much to operate as much as I hunt.
CR123's cost about $2.00 each in bulk. That is $12.00 every 4.5 hours.

If they do indeed take the rechargeable 3.7 volt CR123s, you can get them for $3-4 per battery and use them hundreds of times or use a battery pack.

I have an email into FLIR about rechargeable CR123s. Hopefully, they will answer. I want to get something in writing before I try in case something goes wrong.

I will post their response.

Last edited:
Back