Building a 6mm creedmoor

Rookietjx2

I'm getting everything together to build a 6mm creedmoor on a DPMS gen2 platform. My plan is to shoot lighter bullets (55-75 grain). I have no intention of going heavier. What twist rate would be best? What barrel length (between 18-22 inches) would you recommend? What length gas tube?

If Suppressed Go 18-20 inch Barrel.
No Suppressor Go 22 Inch Barrel.
Have the Muzzle threaded 5/8x24 while your building.
Rifle Length Gas Tube will be Smoother Recoil But Mid-Length will still Work.
An Adjustable Gas Block Will be Helpful for the Over-Gassed AR10.
8- Twist will shoot the 55-108 weights.
10-Twist will shoot the 55-95 weights.
12-Twist will shoot the 55-75 weights.

Last edited:
Suppressed, which is the main reason for keeping between 18-22. Dtech is recommending 10 twist, but I figured I'd get other opinions. I have an adjustable gas block ready for the barrel.

Would there be an advantage to using a rifle+2 gas tube?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rookietjx2Suppressed, which is the main reason for keeping between 18-22. Dtech is recommending 10 twist, but I figured I'd get other opinions. I have an adjustable gas block ready for the barrel.

Definitely follow Dtechs asvice. Why did you choose the Creed over standard 243? I'm running a 243 and considering a new barrel

Originally Posted By: Rookietjx2Suppressed, which is the main reason for keeping between 18-22. Dtech is recommending 10 twist, but I figured I'd get other opinions. [...]
A 9" twist would let you shoot the Sierra 95gr TMK, which has enough BC to be 1000yd capable if you think you might ever want to try that. I have a couple of Dtech uppers and the workmanship is fantastic.

Originally Posted By: yotehunter243 Originally Posted By: Rookietjx2Suppressed, which is the main reason for keeping between 18-22. Dtech is recommending 10 twist, but I figured I'd get other opinions. I have an adjustable gas block ready for the barrel.

Definitely follow Dtechs asvice. Why did you choose the Creed over standard 243? I'm running a 243 and considering a new barrel

Lol, because I'm following Dtech's advice. I was going to go with 22 creedmoor, but I asked him what caliber he would recommend that would work best for what I'm wanting. He recommended a 22 inch 6mm creedmoor 12 twist, with +2 gas system.

Originally Posted By: mensajd
Rookietjx2 said:
A 9" twist would let you shoot the Sierra 95gr TMK, which has enough BC to be 1000yd capable if you think you might ever want to try that. I have a couple of Dtech uppers and the workmanship is fantastic.

I'm not building this for 1,000 yards, this is for as flat as possible out to 300 yards. This will be my coyote gun with my thermal mounted on it.

Last edited:
If it were me....which or is not lol, I would do a 20 or 22" 10 twist 243 and hope it shoots dogtown 70 grain ammo which can be had for about as cheap as the brass alone.

I've got a 9 twist stoner that shoots very well with the dogtown but given it's not sidecharging and its 17# with my radius and loaded mag it sits in the basement.

Supposedly bca is going to come out with a ar 10 sudecharging upper. Only then will an ar 10 replace my 6x6.8.

Last edited:
What twist is your 6 x 6. 8.
I'm currently fighting a poly 3 that is a 10 twist 22 in. I've not shot anything heavier than 75s though. But I'm with you with the 6 DTI and the 6 x 6. 8 available the 243 in my opinion is not necessary. Sorry op I didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223What twist is your 6 x 6. 8.
I'm currently fighting a poly 3 that is a 10 twist 22 in. I've not shot anything heavier than 75s though. But I'm with you with the 6 DTI and the 6 x 6. 8 available the 243 in my opinion is not necessary. Sorry op I didn't mean to hijack your thread.

If you used your 243 you wouldn't be fighting the other barrel lol.

No apology necessary. I got my answers, and I've shipped my upper out. It's now a free for all!

Soooooo.....wuduya gettin? We must have really cleared the mud.
smile.gif

Last edited:

Mine is the same, 10 twist. Shoots Nosler 90 GBTs so well that is all I shoot out of it now. Sorry I didn't get back to you promptly.

Back