You Decide.......Is The Border Wall a Good Idea?

We need to stop the flow of illegals into our country. But a wall is a waste of money for some areas of the border. Some areas are nearly impossible to build a wall as they are too steep with lots of uneven terrain. Maybe some parts of the urban areas a wall might help.

In the other areas, drones and sound sensors or movement sensors may be a better cheaper and more effective means of preventing people from sneaking over the border.

Helicopter and more border patrol people are needed IMHO.

Here where I live I read an article in the local paper this morning. An Illegal Mexican who was wanted by ICE hit a woman's vehicle and drove off making it a hit and run. The woman's boyfriend was in another vehicle following her and the vehicle that the Mexican was driving. He followed the Mexican to a local store and was on the cell phone to the police. They advised him to stop following the Mexican. The police caught up with the Mexican a while later and arrested him and put him in jail without bond. He is being held for ICE to come to get him and deport him again. He was here illegally and didn't have a drivers license either.

Show me a 15 ft. wall and I'll show you a 20 ft. ladder or a tunnel dug under the wall. A wall without a boarder guard ever 1/4 won't work IMHO.

Start shooting at people that try to cross into the USA illegally and that will put a serious dent in the number of people trying to cross over into this country illegally.

Last edited:
The plan is to combine technology such as drones,electronic sensors and other technology with the wall. If the democrats were not in the way, perhaps this could have been achieved by now and perhaps the hit and run driver you speak of would not have been in your hometown.

Build the wall!

Quote:But a wall is a waste of money for some areas of the border. Some areas are nearly impossible to build a wall as they are too steep with lots of uneven terrain. Maybe some parts of the urban areas a wall might help.

One of the hottest crossings along the US southern border is in the Rio Grande Valley sector according to USBP. The wall is far from continuous in that sector, the largest percentage of which is far from urban, traversing miles of flat farm and ranch land, much of which is overgrown with native brush.

Unfinished US-Mexico border wall is a costly logistical nightmare in Texas

Those who patrol the area on the ground, assisted by aerial surveillance provided by drones, helicopters and Aerostats tethered in strategic locations plus surveillance cameras atop cell and water towers along the border.

The wall is just a part of the solution, making the job easier for and supported by the boots on the ground.

Border patrol chief: Wall will 'most certainly' help secure southern border

Regards,
hm

Most of the illegal drugs and other contraband comes through the controlled port of entry crossings. Quite a few of the illegals also cross at regular controlled entry points. Quite a few of the illegals gained access through legal means, then overstayed their visas. This bunch never crossed the border illegally, most are not from Mexico or South America.

Originally Posted By: Coyotehunter_We need to stop the flow of illegals into our country. But a wall is a waste of money for some areas of the border. Some areas are nearly impossible to build a wall as they are too steep with lots of uneven terrain. Maybe some parts of the urban areas a wall might help.

In the other areas, drones and sound sensors or movement sensors may be a better cheaper and more effective means of preventing people from sneaking over the border.

Helicopter and more border patrol people are needed IMHO.

Here where I live I read an article in the local paper this morning. An Illegal Mexican who was wanted by ICE hit a woman's vehicle and drove off making it a hit and run. The woman's boyfriend was in another vehicle following her and the vehicle that the Mexican was driving. He followed the Mexican to a local store and was on the cell phone to the police. They advised him to stop following the Mexican. The police caught up with the Mexican a while later and arrested him and put him in jail without bond. He is being held for ICE to come to get him and deport him again. He was here illegally and didn't have a drivers license either.

So me a 15 ft. wall and I'll show you a 20 ft. ladder or a tunnel dug under the wall.

If you were in the Infantry youd know that a barbed wire obstruction or wall is no good without some machine guns to back it up..

Without the political will to implement policies like e-verify and cuts to social benefits that act as incentives, and significantly increasing electronic surveillance, the wall will do nothing. I've seen the wall. I've stood next to it. If I thought there was a better life on the other side, I could get over that sucker in a heartbeat. In and of itself it is not deterrent.

During economic downturns when construction jobs decline, when day labor is on the down turn and when people are having hard times, is when the flow of illegals reverses. More illegals go home because their is lessor employment opportunities and Americans are taking the jobs that the illegal were doing. That in itself show that e do need some sort off program lie the Bracero programs of the 1950's.

On the other hand it also proves that the employers of illegals are as big a problem as the illegals. The hotel industry hires thousands if not millions to clean the rooms, the meat packers hires thousands, construction industry hires millions, and the employers get by with it. They do not withhold taxes, creating a tax free society of illegals. There are penalties if caught, but the employers laugh, because it is cheaper to hire the illegal and pay the penalties. Time tp send employers tp PRISON. I bet then they will sit up and take notice.

I live a few miles from the border and can assure our skeptical members that our lives and safety improved greatly when walls were erected over 15 years ago.

Lots of good points above, most, if not all, have some merit. The wall is not, nor was it ever intended, to be a do all, end all solution to the illegal immigration problem or the smuggling of drugs, humans, etc. The wall is, however another tool in the quiver of the USBP and, as stated below,

Originally Posted By: Harvey7I live a few miles from the border and can assure our skeptical members that our lives and safety improved greatly when walls were erected over 15 years ago.

does help reduce illegal crossings in many instances. I, too, live within a mile of the Rio Grande as the crow flies (on the right side of the wall
smile.gif
) and often shoot on a friend's private shooting range within 4000 ft. of the Rio. (on the wrong side of the wall), and can agree with Harvey7's assessment of the wall. All of the border patrolmen I have occasion to speak with are in agreement that the wall does assist them in their job.

I also witnessed the Bracero program of the fifties & 60's (IIRC) and it was a beneficial program in that it provided legal farm workers which were badly needed at the time by area farmers.

There is a huge difference between the legal and illegal immigrants of then and now.

Regards,
hm

With this new china virus and other sickness we are not used to here border security may take on a whole new meaning.
Criminals and drugs are bad enough but disease coming into the country may be more of a concern.

There have been a larger number of cases of communicable diseases reported along the border, such as measles, flu, etc. during the recent spike in illegal migration.

Regards,
hm

Coming in through airports for now. Airports can be controlled.
Depending on how long this stuff lasts and how it spreads.If it makes its way into the people that are coming across,say they pick it up in Mexico as Mexico must have citizens who work over seas and will be coming home on planes.
We can't control the border like airports.Infected people may cross and spread through the population without our knowledge.It takes maybe two weeks for the virus to show itself. By then a person could have come in contact with hundreds of other people.Those hundreds would be in contact with thousands. It only takes one to start with.
The CDC will do a good job managing the cases they have knowledge of I believe. Without a doubt they will be watching for other sources of spread of the virus. I just don't know how they can catch it all.
We have been lucky in the past. I hope we are lucky this time.

I live near the border, no wall here. Many of the ranchers along the border want a wall. In fact it is one of the issues in the up coming election. The border where I live, if you get across the fence and road along the border the country between there and the main hiway is just nasty. You could easily walk within 10 ft of someone and not see them.

Back