Captured buffer spring

kooman

Guys I am in the process of figuring out what captured buffer weight to buy. I currently have both carbine and rifle length stocks with the cheap buffers and springs. I do not have any cycling issues but I would like to get something a little smoother and quieter. My question is which weight to get, I run all my rifles suppressed and all are tuned with adjustable gas blocks and standard weight buffers. Should I buy the standard weight carbine captured spring for my carbine tube and also use that weight with my rifle length tube (with a spacer of course)? I would think the lighter the buffer weight the better if I tune with the gas block or am I wrong in my thinking? Any help would be appreciated

if you're already tuned on your rifle length tubes to the "standard" rifle length system weight, the carbine captured spring is going to be too light.

carbine buffer = 3oz
rifle buffer = 5.2oz

so unless you plan to retune your AGB, i would suggest matching those weights accordingly, or at least get as close as you can to minimize the difference you'll need to compensate for.

hth

I don’t have a problem re-tuning gas block if necessary I wasn’t sure what the best route to go was, I wouldn’t mind having one captured system that I could just swap out between rifles and get the spacer for the rifle length tubes. Trying to decide on the best weight to order, wouldn’t lighter be better if the gas block is tuned to match?

are your springs broken in and been shot quite a bit? I find it doesn't bother me if the spring buffer and tube have some rounds through them. Also try putting some grease in there.

Originally Posted By: steve garrettare your springs broken in and been shot quite a bit? I find it doesn't bother me if the spring buffer and tube have some rounds through them. Also try putting some grease in there.

This is why I always buy used buffer tubes, and a bit of grease goes a long way. I dont remember the last time I heard any spronging or cheese grater type sounds from my ARs.

FWIW when I bought a JP captured spring I called JP to ask the same thing and was told to always go with the heavier tungsten version if you are using a suppressor. Even when using an ADJ gas block. So that's what I got (heavy carbine version) and it has been great, wish I had them in all my ARs. I'm using a Superlative Arms gas block.

Back