Ritchs Precision Guns

Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Topic Options
#3228233 - 01/14/20 05:00 PM Captured buffer spring
kooman Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: nebraska
Guys I am in the process of figuring out what captured buffer weight to buy. I currently have both carbine and rifle length stocks with the cheap buffers and springs. I do not have any cycling issues but I would like to get something a little smoother and quieter. My question is which weight to get, I run all my rifles suppressed and all are tuned with adjustable gas blocks and standard weight buffers. Should I buy the standard weight carbine captured spring for my carbine tube and also use that weight with my rifle length tube (with a spacer of course)? I would think the lighter the buffer weight the better if I tune with the gas block or am I wrong in my thinking? Any help would be appreciated

#3228240 - 01/14/20 05:13 PM Re: Captured buffer spring [Re: kooman]
Plant.One Online
Die Hard Member with a vengeance

Loc: Oakland County, MI
if you're already tuned on your rifle length tubes to the "standard" rifle length system weight, the carbine captured spring is going to be too light.

carbine buffer = 3oz
rifle buffer = 5.2oz

so unless you plan to retune your AGB, i would suggest matching those weights accordingly, or at least get as close as you can to minimize the difference you'll need to compensate for.

hth

#3228241 - 01/14/20 05:29 PM Re: Captured buffer spring [Re: kooman]
kooman Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: nebraska
I don’t have a problem re-tuning gas block if necessary I wasn’t sure what the best route to go was, I wouldn’t mind having one captured system that I could just swap out between rifles and get the spacer for the rifle length tubes. Trying to decide on the best weight to order, wouldn’t lighter be better if the gas block is tuned to match?

#3228878 - 01/18/20 10:30 AM Re: Captured buffer spring [Re: kooman]
Huckleberry75 Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Yukon, OK-ish
As cheap as the Armaspec captured springs are, it's simple to drop one in both. About 1/3 the cost of the JP SCS.

#3228900 - 01/18/20 12:27 PM Re: Captured buffer spring [Re: kooman]
steve garrett Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: tx
are your springs broken in and been shot quite a bit? I find it doesn't bother me if the spring buffer and tube have some rounds through them. Also try putting some grease in there.

#3228956 - 01/18/20 05:54 PM Re: Captured buffer spring [Re: steve garrett]
Rock Knocker Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Buffalo, MN
Originally Posted By: steve garrett
are your springs broken in and been shot quite a bit? I find it doesn't bother me if the spring buffer and tube have some rounds through them. Also try putting some grease in there.

This is why I always buy used buffer tubes, and a bit of grease goes a long way. I dont remember the last time I heard any spronging or cheese grater type sounds from my ARs.

#3231672 - 02/04/20 03:23 PM Re: Captured buffer spring [Re: kooman]
Greyhunter Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Iowa
FWIW when I bought a JP captured spring I called JP to ask the same thing and was told to always go with the heavier tungsten version if you are using a suppressor. Even when using an ADJ gas block. So that's what I got (heavy carbine version) and it has been great, wish I had them in all my ARs. I'm using a Superlative Arms gas block.

Moderator:  SnowmanMo 

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.