Is .22 Hornet a good choice for a non-reloader?

There are little tricks you can do to make the CZ 527 17 Hornets feed considerably better.

When cycling a round up into the chamber, as you push the bolt forward don't use the bolt handle, push it forward with your thumb behind the firing pin shroud. I have two CZ 17 Hornets, one feeds fine the other I have to push forward with my thumb, like I described, then it feeds perfect.

Sometimes lifting up on the bolt handle as you push the bolt forward helps cure the problem too.

I don't see mentioned what you plan to do with the 22H. Short-range predator rifle? High volume varmint shooter? Etc? I've got a Savage Model 40 single shot 22H that I use for sage rat shooting. Little bit heavy so it works great when not moving around a ton and doing high volume shooting. Also have a CZ527 American 22H. It is considerably lighter than that savage and works great to carry around all day. Both of them love the 35gr factory Hornady vmax loads and are very accurate. Fun round but in all honesty I like the 17H even better. Much more range and seems to hit harder, further.

Will be using new rifle to call from a treestand or blind at night, mostly red/grey fox, raccoons and we now have coyotes on camera...As far as the rifle feeding, I dont feel i should have to operate a $700 rifle a specific way, it should just work.

Yes, the Hornet is a good choice.

Remington, Winchester, Hornaday, Sellier & Belloit, Federal, all make ammo for it.

As for finding it on a store shelf, if you can't find it, order it.

If you stand on one foot, jump up and down twice, turn a circle to the left, then it will feed just fine. LOL, I feel the same way as you. No matter the cost, it should work the way its suppose to. I might tend to agree with some wildcat rounds like an Ackley but not a factory round in a rifle chambered/built for that round.

Originally Posted By: B23

When cycling a round up into the chamber, as you push the bolt forward don't use the bolt handle, push it forward with your thumb behind the firing pin shroud.

Been doing that for years with my CZ's.

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiOriginally Posted By: B23

When cycling a round up into the chamber, as you push the bolt forward don't use the bolt handle, push it forward with your thumb behind the firing pin shroud.

Been doing that for years with my CZ's.

Sad to say it but it may just be the nature of the beast. If that's what it take to make it function correctly, you may just have to do it that way. It may not be that big of a deal once you get used to doing it that way. Rimfires and 223's are the only CZ's I've messed with and never had any feeding issues.

Very disappointing when a rifle doesnt function, especially in the heat of the moment...I have no problem ordering ammo, none of the calibers Ive been researching are readily available in my area on shelves.

I also have the Browning Micro Hunter in a .22 Hornet...plenty of Factory Ammo available for it here in Southeast Missouri I'm thinking I have the 35 grain Hornady Ammo?I'll look and see what it is...I do know it has the ballistic red tips and is very accurate!

You mentioned the 77/22H ....... From experience I can tell you that they are an unknown in the accuracy department. Some shoot great, some not so well. Don't buy one and expect anything under 2 moa and hope you get lucky. I have had 3 and ONE was a moa rifle. The other two were 2+ on a good day.

As for the Hornet in general, they are a fun little cartridge. But as has already been said, anything over 125 yards or so is stretching them as far as I am concerned.

I handload 35 VMax in mine and they shoot very well.

22H's are a fun little cartridge. PPV and S&B have reasonably price ammo that works. I gave my niece my Sav 219, scope and trigger jobs that would toss 46gr Win factory loads under an inch. My first one a.Sav 23H wasn't quite as good but it was sub minute of fox and paid for itself on $100. Reds back in MN. Along with my Steven 222 we put fox on the boards.

Ruger 77 Hornets are hit and miss but usually sub minute of fur out.to 100. Everyone likes the CZ that I've talked to and the Browning is pretty much top shelf when it comes to the 22H. I wish I knew more of the Sav. 25 but it is so ugly it just doesn't do anything for me and being a 222.Rem fan I really should take a look at it.

Getting into reloading even just for one cartridge can open a whole world of options. I do a lot of low power loading for my rifles. Data for low power loads for the 223 and 22H are available on the Calhoun bullet website.

These are three loads for my 222R the load on the right is just a few grains of 800X that is close to the 22H in velocity. Bluedot will work the same, data for both is available oat the Calhoun sight.

Link to Calhoun data http://www.jamescalhoon.com/bee.php
XcEZ85.jpg

After I got my CZ455 22 Mag shooting 40gr Win jacketed bullets and have working low power loads for my hunting rifles I gave away my 22H and sold my 218 Bee.

22 Mag coyote at NV PM convention
1gYQvc.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AWS
Ruger 77 Hornets are hit and miss but usually sub minute of fur out.to 100.

"Sub minute of fur" .......... good description.
lol.gif

I seldom shoot mine anymore because my 22WMRs are way more accurate and just as good out to 100 or so.

Back