Arizona Bobcat Regulations ??

sureshotshane

I drew a Javelina tag for AZ this February. Unit 35B. I’m going to be taking a week off to go down and see what I can do. I’ve never javelina hunted but I’m hoping it doesn’t take a full week to fill my tag. If I’m fortunate enough to fill my tag early, I’m going to try calling in some bobcats with the rest of my time. I consider myself fairly good at understanding regulations but Arizona regulations are even more disorganized than California’s, if that’s possible, or maybe I’m just not used to them.

All I need to hunt bobcats is my regular hunting license? Correct? Which I already have.

Since I live out-of-state it gets a little confusing because I will need a CITES tag to export but the regulation only identifies that trappers must have transportation tag and lower jaw to get pelts sealed. But I won’t be trapping them, or selling them, yet I need CITES tag For export, so I’m not sure if I actually need the transportation tag or not, it does say you must have the transportation tag to get pelt sealed. Will they give me transportation tags as a hunter? Or do they not require the transportation tags for hunters and will still seal it for me? I imagine it’s much simpler if you are a resident who doesn’t plan to export the cat; it seems that all you need to do as a resident when hunting bobcats is to have license, go hunting, find cat, kill cat, take it home? It would be a lot simpler to understand if there was the same requirement for hunters and trappers. Can someone please advise what the process is for a nonresident bobcat hunter who wishes to export the pelt?

I would call the AZ Fish and Game but if they are anything like CA DFW, you wouldn’t get an answer anyway. I could be wrong though and AZ Fish and Game could be the most helpful people in the world. I truly hope they are helpful because I more than likely will call them tomorrow anyways.

Side Question: does anyone know if the bobcat ban in California also prohibits the import and possession of bobcats? I didn’t see anywhere where it said import is banned but you never know. It would be a bummer if they did, like for Mt. Lion and wolves but I have family in Idaho and that’s where I’d send the hide anyway to get tanned so if the mere importation is illegal, I’d just have the tannery send it to my family until I move from this state. Sounds like another phone call to CDFW is neccassary.

Just trying to get my ducks in a row and also have this available to others with similar questions.

Thanks in advance

Sureshotshane- full disclosure = when I am in AZ I am a non resident as well. I called in a bobcat last season and my brother made a great shot on it so I know how his sealing process went.

He had it sealed by AZGF. My experience with AZGF has always been positive. I suggest you call them and not take my word for any legal advice, especially trying to confirm the legality of taking it back to your home in Cali. I have no clue on that.

Because of the state I do reside in (Alaska) I know that otter pelts need a cites tag and I am pretty confident that it’s a federal requirement that all cites mammal fur must be sealed by the proper authority. I think they will take a tooth and they will attach a metal tag that will stay on the pelt during the tanning process-tanneries will not take the fur unless its sealed correctly.

I’m pretty sure there are AZ folks that are much more with it on this than me though.

Good luck! I’ll be back in less than a week (getting ready to leave 4 degrees and snow).
DM

Not sure about a non resident but if you have an Arizona trapping license you need a transportation tag. If you only have a hunting license then you don't need a transportation tag. You can read the 2020 Arizona Game and Fish regulations on line @ https://www.azgfd.com/hunting/regulations/ or call them they are not like California yet! You definitely want to get a CITES tag, I don't think a tannery will tan it without a CITES tag. You better check your California laws on possession of a bobcat.

Good Luck

Originally Posted By: sureshotshaneI drew a Javelina tag for AZ this February. Unit 35B. I’m going to be taking a week off to go down and see what I can do. I’ve never javelina hunted but I’m hoping it doesn’t take a full week to fill my tag. If I’m fortunate enough to fill my tag early, I’m going to try calling in some bobcats with the rest of my time. I consider myself fairly good at understanding regulations but Arizona regulations are even more disorganized than California’s, if that’s possible, or maybe I’m just not used to them.

All I need to hunt bobcats is my regular hunting license? Correct? Which I already have.

Since I live out-of-state it gets a little confusing because I will need a CITES tag to export but the regulation only identifies that trappers must have transportation tag and lower jaw to get pelts sealed. But I won’t be trapping them, or selling them, yet I need CITES tag For export, so I’m not sure if I actually need the transportation tag or not, it does say you must have the transportation tag to get pelt sealed. Will they give me transportation tags as a hunter? Or do they not require the transportation tags for hunters and will still seal it for me? I imagine it’s much simpler if you are a resident who doesn’t plan to export the cat; it seems that all you need to do as a resident when hunting bobcats is to have license, go hunting, find cat, kill cat, take it home? It would be a lot simpler to understand if there was the same requirement for hunters and trappers. Can someone please advise what the process is for a nonresident bobcat hunter who wishes to export the pelt?

I would call the AZ Fish and Game but if they are anything like CA DFW, you wouldn’t get an answer anyway. I could be wrong though and AZ Fish and Game could be the most helpful people in the world. I truly hope they are helpful because I more than likely will call them tomorrow anyways.

Side Question: does anyone know if the bobcat ban in California also prohibits the import and possession of bobcats? I didn’t see anywhere where it said import is banned but you never know. It would be a bummer if they did, like for Mt. Lion and wolves but I have family in Idaho and that’s where I’d send the hide anyway to get tanned so if the mere importation is illegal, I’d just have the tannery send it to my family until I move from this state. Sounds like another phone call to CDFW is neccassary.

Just trying to get my ducks in a row and also have this available to others with similar questions.

Thanks in advance

Here are the regs right from AZGFD for what license and what is legal:

azgfd bobcat regs by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

As for tagging of the pelt, that is found here, straight from the azgfd regs:

3. Any raw bobcat pelt sold or exported must
have attached permit tag in accordance with
R12-4-305.
R12-4-305. Possessing, Transporting, Importing, Exporting,
and Selling Carcasses or Parts of
Wildlife
G. Except as provided under R12-4-307, before a person may
sell, offer for sale, or export the raw pelt or unskinned carcass
of a bobcat taken in this state, person shall:
1. Present the bobcat for inspection at any Department
office, and
2. Purchase a bobcat seal by paying the fee established
under R12-4-102 at any Department office or other
location as determined and published by the Department.
Department personnel or an authorized agent
shall attach and lock the bobcat seal only to a pelt or
unskinned carcass presented with a validated transportation
tag.
“Bobcat seal” means the tag a person is required to attach
to the raw pelt or unskinned carcass of any bobcat
taken by trapping in Arizona or exported out of Arizona
regardless of the method of take.

Pretty straight forward as to the tagging.

As for what you need or the legality of transporting into California, that I could not answer. That information should be found in your California regs.

I am a non-resident, and last year I shot a cat in Arizona. It"s simply a matter of taking it to a local fish and game office, and they will put a cites tag on it. I believe they charge $3 per tag. I've called the AZGF in Kingman several times with questions. It's a small office and they are very helpful. Very nice people and hunter friendly.
They always ask if I want some mountain lion tags. Apparently they want to thin them out. They tell me you can take up to 15 a year. What in the world are you going to do with 15 lions:)

Originally Posted By: FlesherI am a non-resident, and last year I shot a cat in Arizona. It"s simply a matter of taking it to a local fish and game office, and they will put a cites tag on it. I believe they charge $3 per tag. I've called the AZGF in Kingman several times with questions. It's a small office and they are very helpful. Very nice people and hunter friendly.
They always ask if I want some mountain lion tags. Apparently they want to thin them out. They tell me you can take up to 15 a year. What in the world are you going to do with 15 lions:)

They might be nice folks, but they are not well informed.

This is from the 2020 regulations. I hate it when department employees pass along bad info or bad habits. Just a personal pet peeve after having worked with them for several years...

mtlion by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

Thanks for all the responses fellows.

Before posting I had already read the entire regulations booklet. That’s why I was confused. The main confusion was: as someone mentioned, you MUST have a CITES tag to export of course, in the regulations it says that you must have a transportation tag to obtain a CITES tag. However, only trappers are provided transportation tags so I was wondering how or if I can obtain them prior to hunting so I can insure a smooth transaction at fish and game. Secondly, I was unsure if hunters have to relinquish the lower jaw because elsewhere it says that in order to obtain a CITES tag you must give them the lower jaw. I must not be the only one confused.

I called around yesterday and here is what I was told:

AZ Fish and Game: All you have to do to hunt bobcats is get a license, if you kill a cat, bring it to fish and game. They will fill out the transportation tag onsite and ask you questions,you say you hunted it, you pay a fee, they seal the cat. Now some confusion at fish and game is apparent because I proceeded to ask if I must give up the lower jaw for hunted cats. Her first response was YES, however, we read through the language of R12-4-305 together and she then was convinced that no, you don’t have to relinquish the lower jaw for hunted cats when obtaining CITES tag. So, I’m still not 100% certain about the jaw, my interpretation is that no it’s not required to give it up. Don’t trust me though, personally if I’m lucky to get a cat while visiting, I’m going to bring the jaw with me because I would not be surprised if they did ask for it when the time comes because they don’t even know for sure it seems. I will ask them not to take it and go through the language with them because I like the complete skulls. Simple enough though really.

CA Fish and Wildlife: called around for a while, couldn’t reach anyone who knew anything. Finally got someone who said they would check around for me and get back. Which I actually prefer because usually it means they will actually get a hold of someone used to interpreting regulation. She called back, said it is totally legal to import bobcat legally hunted out of state. All you need is the import documentation and of course the cat needs to be properly sealed (CITES) from the state of harvest. She recommended keeping the import documentation next to the cat of a warden comes knocking. I’m not sure if that means forever or not. Eventually the ink will fade, I already have a few from deer and elk out of state and I’ve always wondered how long I’m supposed to hold onto them, because presumably I will always have the antlers from the animals so it likely stands you need the document as well. You are supposed to send an import document to Fish and Wildlife within 24 hours so it seems like they should already have that information filed away forever. My solution is and I’m not sure if it’s the correct one: keep all the hard copies until they turn to dust but and also photocopy and store an electronic copy away.

Originally Posted By: sureshotshaneThanks for all the responses fellows.
AZ Fish and Game: All you have to do to hunt bobcats is get a license, if you kill a cat, bring it to fish and game. They will fill out the transportation tag onsite and ask you questions,you say you hunted it, you pay a fee, they seal the cat. Now some confusion at fish and game is apparent because I proceeded to ask if I must give up the lower jaw for hunted cats. Her first response was YES, however, we read through the language of R12-4-305 together and she then was convinced that no, you don’t have to relinquish the lower jaw for hunted cats when obtaining CITES tag. So, I’m still not 100% certain about the jaw, my interpretation is that no it’s not required to give it up. Don’t trust me though, personally if I’m lucky to get a cat while visiting, I’m going to bring the jaw with me because I would not be surprised if they did ask for it when the time comes because they don’t even know for sure it seems. I will ask them not to take it and go through the language with them because I like the complete skulls. Simple enough though really.

This is the way it worked for me a few years ago. They did not keep any part of the cat, just affixed the tag. Here's a lesson learned though - don't freeze the cat whole! They will run the tag through the hide, which is difficult if it's frozen. Jason and I had to wait for it to thaw a bit and then they got creative about putting the tag through eye/mouth holes. If you skin the cat, this is a non-issue.

Originally Posted By: sureshotshaneThanks for all the responses fellows.

Before posting I had already read the entire regulations booklet. That’s why I was confused. The main confusion was: as someone mentioned, you MUST have a CITES tag to export of course, in the regulations it says that you must have a transportation tag to obtain a CITES tag. However, only trappers are provided transportation tags so I was wondering how or if I can obtain them prior to hunting so I can insure a smooth transaction at fish and game. Secondly, I was unsure if hunters have to relinquish the lower jaw because elsewhere it says that in order to obtain a CITES tag you must give them the lower jaw. I must not be the only one confused.

I called around yesterday and here is what I was told:

CA Fish and Wildlife: called around for a while, couldn’t reach anyone who knew anything. Finally got someone who said they would check around for me and get back. Which I actually prefer because usually it means they will actually get a hold of someone used to interpreting regulation. She called back, said it is totally legal to import bobcat legally hunted out of state. All you need is the import documentation and of course the cat needs to be properly sealed (CITES) from the state of harvest. She recommended keeping the import documentation next to the cat of a warden comes knocking. I’m not sure if that means forever or not. Eventually the ink will fade, I already have a few from deer and elk out of state and I’ve always wondered how long I’m supposed to hold onto them, because presumably I will always have the antlers from the animals so it likely stands you need the document as well. You are supposed to send an import document to Fish and Wildlife within 24 hours so it seems like they should already have that information filed away forever. My solution is and I’m not sure if it’s the correct one: keep all the hard copies until they turn to dust but and also photocopy and store an electronic copy away.

Good job on the leg work. Glad you stayed on it. It can be pretty frustrating trying to get a solid answer when it seems that no one who should know will give you one.

Originally Posted By: DesertRamOriginally Posted By: sureshotshaneThanks for all the responses fellows.

This is the way it worked for me a few years ago. They did not keep any part of the cat, just affixed the tag. Here's a lesson learned though - don't freeze the cat whole! They will run the tag through the hide, which is difficult if it's frozen. Jason and I had to wait for it to thaw a bit and then they got creative about putting the tag through eye/mouth holes. If you skin the cat, this is a non-issue.

But at least we got to see that wild looking cat that guy brought in. It was worth the wait. LOL. You should repost those pics of that goofy looking cat.

Thanks for the information on importing bobcats to California that were hunted in another state.The reg are not clear and I have called several times with not much luck getting answers from DFW.At least you got ahold of someone that would call you back I couldn't even get that. Thanks for sharing!

Desert Dave - no problem, I get super annoyed when you can’t reach someone, all fish and game agencies should have at least one number available to answer regulation related questions. I’ve sent several emails before to the California Outdoors Q&A things online and NEVER have received a response. They only answer questions that are easy to answer if someone would just read the regulations. Not questions with nuance. And when there is nuance, they equivocate and answer the easy stuff. I have a couple colleagues and buddies that are wardens but I try not to be annoying, and sometimes they honestly just don’t know. Especially if it’s not there specialty, for example, one is more marine based. For California, I actually read the Fish and Game Code book, which is much more extensive than any booklet you find at Walmart. Obviously, the bobcat import question wasn’t in the Fish and Game code book considering it’s 2020 legislation. Other things are unclear, for example; is the “150 yard safety zone” as the crow flies, or is it line of sight (hypotenuse), or is it as the topography flows?

Originally Posted By: SnowmanMoOriginally Posted By: FlesherI am a non-resident, and last year I shot a cat in Arizona. It"s simply a matter of taking it to a local fish and game office, and they will put a cites tag on it. I believe they charge $3 per tag. I've called the AZGF in Kingman several times with questions. It's a small office and they are very helpful. Very nice people and hunter friendly.

This is from the 2020 regulations. I hate it when department employees pass along bad info or bad habits. Just a personal pet peeve after having worked with them for several years...

mtlion by Jason Mosler, on Flickr I should have clarified my comment on the mountain lion limit. That was for the hjalapi mountain area only, and that was last year. They were looking to reduce the lion population because of the predation on that deer herd. They have maybe changed it this year.

Originally Posted By: Flesher Originally Posted By: SnowmanMoOriginally Posted By: FlesherI am a non-resident, and last year I shot a cat in Arizona. It"s simply a matter of taking it to a local fish and game office, and they will put a cites tag on it. I believe they charge $3 per tag. I've called the AZGF in Kingman several times with questions. It's a small office and they are very helpful. Very nice people and hunter friendly.

mtlion by Jason Mosler, on Flickr I should have clarified my comment on the mountain lion limit. That was for the hjalapi mountain area only, and that was last year. They were looking to reduce the lion population because of the predation on that deer herd. They have maybe changed it this year.

That kind of "misinformation" comes out of departments all the time. Again, that's a pet peeve of mine. Having been a game and fish instructor for several years, it's frustrating. Just as an example, road hunting is against regulations, yet the department ITSELF drives kids around during game camps looking for animals and when they spot them they pile the kids out and the hunt is on. That VERY scenario is described by AZGFD as road hunting. I just want them to stick to the rules they themselves establish. It's not your fault that they don't know the regs.

Back