223 69gr Sierra Match King Bullets for Varmints???

LDhunter

I just absolutely love to shoot the 69gr Sierra Matchking bullets at targets but next year I'm planning a prairie dog or some other kind of varmint hunting "out west" and want to know if these bullets will work.

I imagine there is no problem with killing prairie dogs but we all love aerial acrobatics. I suspect I'll have to go with a more varmint oriented bullet but thought I'd ask.

How about marmots?

Any other varmints I should consider?

I don’t think matchking bullets are ideal for prairie dogs or coyotes. Will they work, yes, more or less.

For prairie dogging I’d look to a 50-55 grain, highly frangible bullet. That’s where the phrase ‘red mist’ comes from.

Might be interesting to see how the 60TMK performs on pd's though. Never tried it yet but it'd be nice for someone to and report back to us. May be good to have the 53 V-max for backup--sure have had some great red-misters with that bullet.

Originally Posted By: muskrat30 I don’t think matchking bullets are ideal for prairie dogs or coyotes. Will they work, yes, more or less.

For prairie dogging I’d look to a 50-55 grain, highly frangible bullet. That’s where the phrase ‘red mist’ comes from.

Dont know about p-dogs but I've been using 68gr match hp's on coyotes for years and love them as far as killing/stopping power goes.

It's really hard to beat a Matchking, be it either the regular hollow point or the Tipped variety and the Tipped Game Changers are gaining quite the reputation as well.

Back