Neck tension/Seating depth

BangFlop

So I am loading 40 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips in a bolt 223 Rem. I’ve read you need at least a bullets diameter in the neck, however, Nosler list OAL at 2.26. If my new cases are 1.7490 and the bullet is .6995, that leaves me only .1885 in the neck.

Do I load to manual or to .224 in neck?

Thanks so much!
Steve

I load 223 40gr Vmax and 35gr NTX both at 2.220". In my experience, light bullets like jump. Perhaps not ideal for benchrest accuracy, but you wouldn't be using those bullets if you are after 1/4" groups, nor would you be using a factory barrel with long freebore. Seating deep works fine for me.

48514072056_ae09f56393_c.jpg

31279175067_4a8780e9de_c.jpg

All from the lowly factory barrel Savage:
31401461428_755b7dc3ae_c.jpg

Load for accuracy. Whatever oal shoots the best is what I would go with. I always start at what the manul says and if it drives tacks I roll with it. That way your ammo is a good starting point in other rifles as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BangFlopEven if the manual is less than a bullet diameter in the neck?

I’m new to reloading so please bare with me.

Thanks
Steve
Understand the reason behind the soft "rule" of loading with a bullet diameter deep inside the case neck. Is it for safety? Or is it for other reasons? Nosler says something like this:
Quote:A depth of one bullet diameter inside the case neck gives good alignment and neck tension for ignition.
If you shoot with a magazine, or semi-auto, or handle your bullets much (loading and unloading while hunting) then it may be a good idea to have closer to a bullet diameter contacting the case neck so you don't run into concentricity issues or accidently pull a bullet and spill powder all over your action. You can seat far shallower for single shot target loads. Test it for safety.

I have a bulk(400) rounds of factory 223 Nosler ammo with the 40 gr BT. Brass is 1.760, COAL. 2.2355. Could be a starting pt for your load development.

Accuracy is what counts. Typically, a bullet closer to the lands will shoot better. Not always easy to do on a factory barrel. You also have to consider if you will be feeding from a magazine. If from a mag, you need a good bullet seat in the case to hold the bullet, and over all length has to fit the mag. But if loading single, load what shoots best. Get the bullet out to the lands and try it. 40 grain BT's are short. Try some 50 grain FB, or 55 grain FB. Let the gun tell you what it will shoot best.

I loaded my test rounds to 2.222, which with my brass gives me exactly .224 into the neck and puts the boattail of the little 40 gr. bullet right at the end of the neck.

We will see and can test on both sides of this length to fine tune.

Thanks.
Steve

"you need at least a bullets diameter in the neck"

that is a load of horse hocky right there!

So is this:

"A depth of one bullet diameter inside the case neck gives good alignment and neck tension for ignition."

A 223 with zero freebore to .030 Freebore will shoot single bullet hole groups that open just a tad at 100 yards, groups with 40g Noslers, H335, H322, Lt 32, and the 4198's.

If you are shooting a bolt gun and not saving hides, the 55g Sierra lead tip blitz loaded with Benchmark and cci 450's will attain 3400+ and just blow a coyote up. You will have to see it to believe it.

Last edited:
Back