Split in the Methodist Church

fw707

Any thoughts on the separation of the Methodist Church?

https://www.umnews.org/en/news/diverse-leaders-group-offers-separation-plan

“The General Council on Finance and Administration of The United Methodist Church would provide $25 million, over four years, “to the traditionalist Methodist denomination established pursuant to this protocol.” The new denomination would give up further claims to United Methodist assets, including those of general boards and agencies.
GCFA would escrow $2 million to help other potential new denominations.
To support communities historically marginalized by racism, GCFA would allocate $39 million over eight years to strengthen Asian, Black, Hispanic-Latino, Native American and Pacific Islander ministries, as well as Africa University. Of that total, $13 million would come from funds the separating traditionalist denomination chose to forgo.
After the 2020 General Conference, set for May 5-15 in Minneapolis, there would be a special General Conference for the remaining denomination. “The protocol also references a plan which calls for a special general conference of the post-separation United Methodist Church. The purpose of the Special Session would be to create regional conferences, remove the current prohibitions against LGBTQ persons, and to repeal the Traditional Plan,” said a press release from the negotiating group.”

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: parsonII Cor. 6:17

Thank you for the reply!

I was really hoping for some comments that required an actual thought process, but I appreciate the effort!

No thought process needed, just take the Word of God at face value. We are to do it with grace but there is no place in New Testament church leadership for the unregenerate. I John 4:1. This is not to suggest we don’t think, reason or investigate but that the biblical instructions are so clear, separation from or with those who willingly reject the biblical moral law are to be treated as lost and in need of salvation, not compromise. I Cor. 5:1-13

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: parsonNo thought process needed, just take the Word of God at face value. We are to do it with grace but there is no place in New Testament church leadership for the unregenerate. I John 4:1. This is not to suggest we don’t think, reason or investigate but that the biblical instructions are so clear, separation from or with those who willingly reject the biblical moral law are to be treated as lost and in need of salvation, not compromise. I Cor. 5:1-13

Compromise?
I don’t think so.
I see it as cultural changes causing a positive evolution of a religion that has always hated and vilified anybody who doesn’t conform to their beliefs.

Maybe they are reaping what they sow?

“In U.S., Decline of Christianity Continues at Rapid Pace“

https://www.pewforum.org/2019/10/17/in-u-s-decline-of-christianity-continues-at-rapid-pace/

Maybe a “thought process” is needed after all?

fw707, would you please list for me the times and places that the Methodist in the Wesleyan tradition has ever been guilty of hatred and vilification as you describe.

Originally Posted By: parsonfw707, would you please list for me the times and places that the Methodist in the Wesleyan tradition has ever been guilty of hatred and vilification as you describe.

I said religion...not denomination.

It’s interesting that the mainstream UMC will accept the LGBTQ membership and clergy, and the “traditional” group will be given the opportunity to create their new denomination.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ADKAmen parson. Mathew 24:11

You still straddling the fence?

Originally Posted By: ADKJust to clarify a few things:
2. I am a person of faith (I do believe in God)but I do not consider myself to be a devout person. I may lean more to agnosticism than some here will want to believe.

Quote from BJJ223:

“It is not enough to believe God exists. You have to come to him by faith in Jesus Christ. Even the devil believes God exists. The devil will be cast into the lake of fire.“

ADK, you do know you don’t make the grade with the true believers, don’t you?

Last edited:
As an agnostic theist I have never aspired to "make the grade" with true believers. My faith allows me to believe in God and the Holy Trinity, therefor, I believe that Jesus Christ is God.

Originally Posted By: ADKAs an agnostic theist I have never aspired to "make the grade" with true believers. My faith allows me to believe in God and the Holy Trinity, therefor, I believe that Jesus Christ is God.

agnostic theist

“Agnostic theism, agnostotheism or agnostitheism is the philosophical view that encompasses both theism and agnosticism. An agnostic theist believes in the existence of a god or gods, but regards the basis of this proposition as unknown or inherently unknowable.
Wikipedia › wiki › Agnostic_theism
Agnostic theism - Wikipedia“

Satan believes that too.
Sorry...
Their rules......not mine.

Last edited:
Finally you've gotten something right fw. You should consult Wikipedia more often.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Coyotehunter_One half of them drive Toyotas and the other drive Chevys

Who,the Methodists or the Islamists?
confused.gif
grin.gif

Here's a concept for all you church going folks; The church should only be as rich as it's poorest patron. Seems to me the bank of Christ runnoth over more than the cup of charity.

Originally Posted By: sniper4life1Here's a concept for all you church going folks; The church should only be as rich as it's poorest patron. Seems to me the bank of Christ runnoth over more than the cup of charity.

https://www.umnews.org/en/news/church-reserve-funds-under-a-microscope

“According to 2016 audits, the denomination’s 10 general church agencies that rely on church giving for operations had a total of $402.7 million in reserves.“

In an earlier post parson made a comment that leads me to believe that the Wesleyans aren’t directly connected with the UMC.
I’m not sure if the Wesleyans have check writing privileges on the $402 mil UMC account, so maybe parson can clear up the issue for us.

Last edited:
Back