Getting back into coyote hunting

dbowling

After about a 10 yr break getting back into calling, always used a 22-250 or .223 to call at night, Im in Indiana. Going to start calling thick woods/CRP and bought a Beretta A300 for my coyote shotgun, what choke tube are you guys liking best and wheres the best place to order #4 buck shells online, no one around here carries them that I can find. Also just purchased the Fox Pro Fusion, going to be calling daylight mostly for the time being.

It's good to get back in the game; you'll be up and running in no time.

Do you have to use buckshot legally? If not, consider stout BB loads. I've been using Hornady Coyote loads with BB shot and the improved cylinder choke in my Franchi Affinity. Works very well at shotgun distances. There may be other factory BB loads. Get a couple of those, some #4 from Cabelas's or Graf's or Midway, your factory chokes, and head out to do some patterning.

Good luck!

Seen the Hornady loads but wasn't sure how good they worked was told #4 buck worked really good.. will get some and give them a try. thanks for the help.
At what distances have you shot them at, our coyotes are fairly big, caught a few when I trapped over 40#, shot a few 35-40#.

Most in the 20-30 yard range. I killed on at 54 yards, but I suspect that was an anomaly and not normal performance. It seems to kill as well as #4 buck, and there are many more pellets in it. A nice bonus - it doesn't seem to be as rough on fox as buckshot, though I've only killed one fox with it (at less than 20 yards).

If possible, get plated (copper or nickeled) shot. The plating allows for deeper penetration due to the harder surface (less deformation) and less hair grabbing by the pellets.

I use a Modified choke with Hornady BB coyote load. Pattern your gun to see what works best for it. The Hornady load is very effective for coyotes at 40 yards or less. I've killed several over 40 yards and one over 50 yards with it but those longer shots sometimes take multiple shots or a follow up with the rifle.

Last edited:
Tried several loads of #4 buck out of my 870 & Marrachi combo gun then settled on Winchester XR BB. Both guns do have after market chokes. These shells shot the tightest & had a lot more strikes in the 8" circle.
I don't hunt with shotty much & have only shot at 1 but he was DRT at 30yds.

thanks guys going to order some Hornady BB loads and some Remington #4 buck and give them a try with the Beretta chokes and see how they do then may order a few custom chokes to pattern also.

about the only thing I can find online in stock are 2.75 in Hornady Magnums BB and the Remington 3 in #4buck. Seems like just about everything has been discontinued or is out of stock and alot say no back order.

I would go ahead and get the 2.75 Hornady BB's. The real trick is to check your patterns with various chokes. If shooting lead I would look at IC (though with lead I think that will be too open) Lt Mod, Mod and I Mod.

Lead or copper coated lead BB's can deal with some choke... Steel, not so much. Ya need to open up a bit on steel.

I have killed coyotes down here in Southernmost IL with 3" 20 ga #2 lead loads at 35+ yards. BB's are .180" and 4 Buck is .240" per each pellet.

One last thing, again.... Buy ammo and test fire loads at, at least 25 yards. Pellets inside a 12" or even 18" circle will tell you a lot.

thanks have the factory mod,full and improved cyl tubes, will try those 1st I guess then go from there.. definitely want to make sure gun patterns good, farthest I would shoot in the thick stuff we will be hunting would be 40 yds max.

If you are shooting lead, I would try the mod choke and with BB's perhaps the full although I think that load might work well with I MOd.

Back