Help sorting out inaccurate AR

MAArcher

I have an AR, I made the receiver from an 80% blank and the upper is a .223 wylde from Palmetto State Armory. I put it together a couple years ago and wasn't happy with the accuracy, about 6MOA. Scope mount is good, everything seems tight. Fails to extract on occasion.

Where do I begin to diagnose the issues and get this thing to shoot straight?

Any advice appreciated.

Have you tried it on a different lower? That would let you eliminate that it might be caused by the 80% lower, also let you see if the failure to extract is limited the lower you're using.

Barrel(crown),ammo,hand guard,trigger,rest,shooter. Probably some combination to see 6 moa. You could pull the upper apart, reassemble with attention to barrel,nut,fitment and torque. Super clean barrel and then check the crown with q tip.

Well, assuming you're a decent shot, have good trigger control, and are shooting from a sturdy rest, I'd start with ammo. What have you tried so far? What's the barrel length and twist rate?

Next, I'd look at the barrel. How does the crown look? Is the barrel nut torqued within specs? (It may feel tight, but still not be as tight as it needs to be). What type of muzzle device is on it, and is it on tight?

If all of that checks out, take a look at the optics next. If it's mounted good and tight, its possible that some internal damage that's causing accuracy issues. If you have a spare that you know is good, you can swap it out and see if that helps.

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootBarrel(crown),ammo,hand guard,trigger,rest,shooter. Probably some combination to see 6 moa. You could pull the upper apart, reassemble with attention to barrel,nut,fitment and torque. Super clean barrel and then check the crown with q tip.
+1
g.png

Originally Posted By: cjclemensWell, assuming you're a decent shot, have good trigger control, and are shooting from a sturdy rest, I'd start with ammo. What have you tried so far? What's the barrel length and twist rate?

Next, I'd look at the barrel. How does the crown look? Is the barrel nut torqued within specs? (It may feel tight, but still not be as tight as it needs to be). What type of muzzle device is on it, and is it on tight?

If all of that checks out, take a look at the optics next. If it's mounted good and tight, its possible that some internal damage that's causing accuracy issues. If you have a spare that you know is good, you can swap it out and see if that helps.

18" Rifle Length 223 Wylde 1/7 Stainless Steel 15" Lightweight M-lok Upper with BCG & CH. Initially the grouping was worse and then I used a trigger spring kit so I didn't have to start lifting weights in order to pull the stock trigger.

I've tried several brands of ammo with varying weights.

I have other rifles and with a steady rest I can be accurate with them, I have a Remington 700 .308 that shoots sub MOA with my handloads.

I would start by swapping scopes and do a quick zero and a 10 shot group to get an idea if the scope was to blame.
Also what type of Failure to Extract? Did the extractor leave a mark on the brass or did it not even try to cycle to bolt as in a possible gas issue?

Originally Posted By: NonnieselmanI would start by swapping scopes and do a quick zero and a 10 shot group to get an idea if the scope was to blame.
Also what type of Failure to Extract? Did the extractor leave a mark on the brass or did it not even try to cycle to bolt as in a possible gas issue?

Mark on case.

Didn't even occure to me that the scope could be an issue. I'll be bummed if that's the case, been a great scope. Older Bushnell 4200 Elite 4-16x42

^^I have the same 4200 Elite and am dreading if it ever goes south...they have nothing comparable at that price range to exchange it for.

Originally Posted By: MAArcher18" Rifle Length 223 Wylde 1/7 Stainless Steel 15" Lightweight M-lok Upper with BCG & CH. Initially the grouping was worse and then I used a trigger spring kit so I didn't have to start lifting weights in order to pull the stock trigger.

I have other rifles and with a steady rest I can be accurate with them, I have a Remington 700 .308 that shoots sub MOA with my handloads.

When you have an FTE, do you end up with the bolt closed on an empty casing or does the bolt try to pick up and load a new round with the empty still in the chamber?

Originally Posted By: cjclemensOriginally Posted By: MAArcher18" Rifle Length 223 Wylde 1/7 Stainless Steel 15" Lightweight M-lok Upper with BCG & CH. Initially the grouping was worse and then I used a trigger spring kit so I didn't have to start lifting weights in order to pull the stock trigger.

When you have an FTE, do you end up with the bolt closed on an empty casing or does the bolt try to pick up and load a new round with the empty still in the chamber?

Picks up another round.

Originally Posted By: cjclemensOriginally Posted By: MAArcherPicks up another round.

Seems like that would indicate your extractor and/or extractor spring.

The spring and extractor look OK. Any troubleshooting tips?

Originally Posted By: MAArcherOriginally Posted By: cjclemensOriginally Posted By: MAArcherPicks up another round.

Seems like that would indicate your extractor and/or extractor spring.

The spring and extractor look OK. Any troubleshooting tips?

O-rings are often used to stiffen weaker springs. We toss o-rings and the springs and go with Springco power springs.

Originally Posted By: MAArcherOriginally Posted By: cjclemensWell, assuming you're a decent shot, have good trigger control, and are shooting from a sturdy rest, I'd start with ammo. What have you tried so far? What's the barrel length and twist rate?

18" Rifle Length 223 Wylde 1/7 Stainless Steel 15" Lightweight M-lok Upper with BCG & CH. Initially the grouping was worse and then I used a trigger spring kit so I didn't have to start lifting weights in order to pull the stock trigger.

I would check with another scope first because it's easy. Then check torque on the barrel nut.

The FTE problem may/may not be related. Could be that the bullets are getting damaged during a cycling problem. Try single loading to see if there is any change in accuracy.

Back