Is .22 Hornet a good choice for a non-reloader?

greengt88

Trying to fill the niche between .22Mag and .223...I do not reload.

What rifles are performing well with factory ammo?

Im leaning towards the CZ 527, although I had two less than impressive experiences with that model in 17 Hornet.

The other option is the Ruger 77/22.

Thx in advance for opinions

The .223 can be downloaded to the equivalent of several sub calibers.
Since you don't reload, me either, I would consider the .221 fireball.

My Browning A-bolt Micro is very accurate. I don’t reload for it as it likes the Hornady 46 gr. SP so well that it would be tough to beat. I have been thinking of reaming it out for a K version but more than likely won’t. Good luck, Dave

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: greengt88
Im leaning towards the CZ 527, although I had two less than impressive experiences with that model in 17 Hornet.

I'm a bit surprised at this as my 527 Varmint shoots the 15.5 and the 20 grain Hornady factory stuff lights out. It shoots as good as most of my handloads do. If money was not an object I would shoot it all the time.

Since you don't reload, the Hornet, 221 Fireball and the 222 are going to be limited on over the counter ammo. Not all stores will carry it simply because it isn't really popular to the general public. All three are going to be fun to shoot and probably fit your need. You just need to choose which one you want. I don't think any of the three mentioned would be a bad choice.

If you have a choice, I would look around at reliable vendors where you live and pick a cartridge that appears to be available in both the short term and for the long haul. In most place, I would think that the Hornet would be the most readily available, maybe followed by the 222 Rem with the 221 FB trailing a distant third in factory ammo offerings.

I've been on the lookout for a lightweight 22hornet for a handful of years now.

What I have been using so far is a Mcace chamber adapter to fire .22hornet out of my 22-250. It's very accurate but hits approximately 4" low at 100yds using my 22-250 zero.

PPU .45g hollow points are $18 a box of 50 right now from SGammo. I pick up a few boxes when they are $15.

It's an inexpensive way to try out the caliber.

A Hornet will fill the gap for you nicely, and not blow PA fox up so much. Lower noise, lower recoil - what's not to like. Ammo, short of the European stuff, is not cheap, but not bad per shot either considering the cost of quality hunting 223, etc per pc. The PPU seems to be the way to go there. Seems the Browning Micro's and the CZ's have been working well for folks. Odd to hear of your expereince with the CZ 17 - most seem to love em. The Rugers seem to be better in the newer models, with the older models givng some fits at times. Improvements are out there for them to perform better.

FWIW, reloading is cheaper to get into than a new gun, and you can turn that 223 down a bit for cheap. But who doesnt want another one in the rack, eh?? LOL.

With your 22 Mag to handle fox cats and an occasional close coyote. I'd really look into a reloader for your 223 and tailor loads to your needs. if your only loading for a single cartridge an inexpensive starter kit should handle everything you need.

You could buy the stuff to reload with and save money, but the main problem with that..... is you won't be getting a new rifle. Buy the rifle...then get a reloading kit. LOL

I have thought about a semi custom 5.7x28 rifle. But only about 10% velocity over the 22 mag, may pickup some velocity with a 22-24" barrel. Ammo would be much easier to find than 222,fireball or hornet and cheaper.

+1
d.png

Yes i had 2 diff 527 17Hornets, 1st a Varmint model, that didnt have many problems, but it started heavily rusting for no reason and idk what was up with the stock, but it was terrible and seemed it was made of balsa wood, the thing would get scratches just looking at it....The 2nd was an American, and that just would not feed from the magazine no matter what ammo was used. It was sent back to CZ, when i got it back it was better but still had issues feeding/ejecting....so the 527 has left a sour taste in my mouth.

Back