Is 22 Nosgar worth it, or should I go with a Valkyrie?

BR Marksman

I'm looking for something to play with this summer and I'm looking for opinions. It will be a Savage bolt action rifle for sure, and I already have a PPC bolt head on hand. But I'm wondering if I'd be better off getting a 6.8SPC bolt head and go with the Valkyrie. What are your thoughts?

The Nosgar will be faster by a good measure. Case volume is definitely your friend with it. If you want to use HAGAR brass you could just go with the NXS and not trim at all plus the speed would leave both the others in the dirt.

Greg

Originally Posted By: BR MarksmanMy only condition is that it has to be offered as a Savage pre-fit.

Call Ritch and he can get that pre-fit done for you in any of the chamberings in this thread.

Greg

they actually shorten the valkyrie case to make it work. its a case designed for heavy bullets to fit in an AR 15. since this is a predator hunting site, most people want to shoot light bullets faster, If I have a bolt gun I don't bother with either of the options. I just run a 22-250, probably in AI flavor if its a custom barrel.

Valkyrie is a turd imo because as Steve stated they shortened the case to allow big ol long bullets to be seated out enough to not take up all the powder space in a case yet fit in an AR mag. The 22 Nosler or Nosgar are still cases designed around the AR mag length limitations. I think the 243 or 22 250 is a much better choice for a killing round although they may be a boring choice. If your goal is to just build something different to play with I would secure plenty of 6 hagar brass and you might consider a 6x6.8.
Lots of bullets option.

Last edited:
I guess you said looking for opinions, so I'm with Steve on this one. .22-250 in a bolt gun makes more sense. If it's more about just tinkering with something different, I'd go with the NXS, hands down (but I'd also make that an AR).

I'm only looking between the Nosgar and Valkyrie. I've already got a 22 K-hornet, 218 Bee, 221 fireball, 222 Remington, 223 Remington fast twist, and 22-250 Remington fast twist in the stables.

Well the 224 is a short cased turd and will be twisted and throated to shoot heavies and the nxs is complicated way of duplicating a fast twist 22-250. Only benefit of either is they fit an AR.

Originally Posted By: varminter .223Well the 224 is a short cased turd and will be twisted and throated to shoot heavies and the nxs is complicated way of duplicating a fast twist 22-250. Only benefit of either is they fit an AR.

I'm not sure why you think the NXS is complicated. It is as simple as taking a piece of HAGAR brass and running it up in to a 22 Nosler die that has been backed off the shell holder about 0.040 and necking down to 22 without any shoulder bump. Making five pieces of brass and shooting them and then making a final adjustment to your die is all that is needed. It's no harder than loading/making a 20 Practical. One pass and that's it.

Greg

Not knocking the round, I'm just saying first you have to be able to find the Hagar brass then the sizing process is a little bit more difficult than using a matching cartridge and sizing die.
Just extra steps to be taken to fit a cartridge designed around the AR into a bolt action rifle which is already easily available in 22-250.
Necessity is the mother of invention.... hence the nxs in the AR15. Converting a bolt-action to nxs is kind of creating a fix for a problem that didn't exist in my mind. Now if you just want one for the sake of wanting one go for it. If I could get one in a slower twist there would already be one in my basement.

Last edited:
I have to agree with GL shooter...the process is not complicated at all...no different than converting brass to the 22 or 6 x 6.8...actually very simple as stated. The RCBS 22 Nosler dies cost me $40...you can by Hagar brass from a couple of vendors and if you buy the bulk 500 count of brass, that should last awhile...if you are really worried about brass supply, buy 1000.
I totally agree that I would like to see Ritch offer a slower twist barrel but I am getting it running pretty decent now with the 8 twist...it is actually shooting a 53gr bullet at .5xx to .2xx for 3 shots. I am also pleased with getting 3650fps out of a 20" bbl with 55gr bullets.
Most AR's in 223 are only offered in 7, 8 or 9 twist...granted, velocities are slower, so I get that a fast twist will shoot light bullets, but I would also like to see at least a 10 twist offering and would also entertain a 12 twist in the NXS. I am not disappointed in the NXS at all and it is easy to set up for.

What kind of velocities is the nxs pushing 60 grain bullets? After shooting close to 150 coyotes the last few years I think I'm sold on the heavier bullets. I'm really loving the 70 Nosler ballistic tip. The nxs should do well with the heavier 22 caliber bullets and I would consider one if I felt I could get a heavier varmint style bullet to shoot well at a good speed. Another question would be is there enough extra speed to be gained with an extra 2 in of barrel and going 24 in?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223What kind of velocities is the nxs pushing 60 grain bullets? After shooting close to 150 coyotes the last few years I think I'm sold on the heavier bullets. I'm really loving the 70 Nosler ballistic tip. The nxs should do well with the heavier 22 caliber bullets and I would consider one if I felt I could get a heavier varmint style bullet to shoot well at a good speed. Another question would be is there enough extra speed to be gained with an extra 2 in of barrel and going 24 in?

I didn't run any 60's over the chronograph, but I will and let you know. The issue with the heavier bullets as you know is that they are longer and when seated to mag length they are jumping a good gap and also have to be seated deeper into the case, taking up more room. The 60gr Nosler was jumping .070 and the 55 Nosler was jumping .033, the 55 Nosler shoots 3/4" jumping that much though. I would imagine 70gr bullets would really eat up case/powder space.
The 55gr Sierra loads real well...plenty of room in the mag and can run them jammed or off and still fit magazine. I have ordered some 55 Speer TNT's and will see what they do.
Shot some 50gr Nosler and Vmax bullets and they were right at an inch...really didn't play much with seating depth to see if they would tighten up...really want to just run 55's or 60's...got some 60gr Vmax coming as well to try.

Originally Posted By: BR MarksmanI'm looking for something to play with this summer and I'm looking for opinions. It will be a Savage bolt action rifle for sure, and I already have a PPC bolt head on hand. But I'm wondering if I'd be better off getting a 6.8SPC bolt head and go with the Valkyrie. What are your thoughts?

There is a few guys running 224 Valkyrie bolt guns over on the 'hide. It would be an easy one to play with. Factory ammo and plug and play parts.

Originally Posted By: G AndersonOriginally Posted By: varminter .223What kind of velocities is the nxs pushing 60 grain bullets? After shooting close to 150 coyotes the last few years I think I'm sold on the heavier bullets. I'm really loving the 70 Nosler ballistic tip. The nxs should do well with the heavier 22 caliber bullets and I would consider one if I felt I could get a heavier varmint style bullet to shoot well at a good speed. Another question would be is there enough extra speed to be gained with an extra 2 in of barrel and going 24 in?

I didn't run any 60's over the chronograph, but I will and let you know. The issue with the heavier bullets as you know is that they are longer and when seated to mag length they are jumping a good gap and also have to be seated deeper into the case, taking up more room. The 60gr Nosler was jumping .070 and the 55 Nosler was jumping .033, the 55 Nosler shoots 3/4" jumping that much though. I would imagine 70gr bullets would really eat up case/powder space.
The 55gr Sierra loads real well...plenty of room in the mag and can run them jammed or off and still fit magazine. I have ordered some 55 Speer TNT's and will see what they do.
Shot some 50gr Nosler and Vmax bullets and they were right at an inch...really didn't play much with seating depth to see if they would tighten up...really want to just run 55's or 60's...got some 60gr Vmax coming as well to try.

Varminter, I chronographed the 60gr Vmax...started at one charge and worked up .2gr at a time...first charge was 3474fps, second charge was 3486fps, third charge was 3494fps and last charge was 3510fps... but the third and last charges loosened up the primer pockets...so the 3486fps load is what I would call max. The 60vmax was able to get it in the magazine and run it .010 off touching...still way too much bullet sticking down in the case for my liking. They shot first 2 almost touching and 3rd one out by 1".
I got the 55gr Sierra HPBT going 3686fps by going up .1gr on powder and seating bullets .005 off of touching(was running them .010 off). Shot 3, 3 shot groups and they were all 3 consistent 5/8 - 3/4" groups.
I have some pieces of brass now on the 7th loading and primer pockets are still good. I believe I will just stick with the 55gr Sierra and go hunt.

Originally Posted By: G AndersonOriginally Posted By: G AndersonOriginally Posted By: varminter .223What kind of velocities is the nxs pushing 60 grain bullets? After shooting close to 150 coyotes the last few years I think I'm sold on the heavier bullets. I'm really loving the 70 Nosler ballistic tip. The nxs should do well with the heavier 22 caliber bullets and I would consider one if I felt I could get a heavier varmint style bullet to shoot well at a good speed. Another question would be is there enough extra speed to be gained with an extra 2 in of barrel and going 24 in?

Varminter, I chronographed the 60gr Vmax...started at one charge and worked up .2gr at a time...first charge was 3474fps, second charge was 3486fps, third charge was 3494fps and last charge was 3510fps... but the third and last charges loosened up the primer pockets...so the 3486fps load is what I would call max. The 60vmax was able to get it in the magazine and run it .010 off touching...still way too much bullet sticking down in the case for my liking. They shot first 2 almost touching and 3rd one out by 1".
I got the 55gr Sierra HPBT going 3686fps by going up .1gr on powder and seating bullets .005 off of touching(was running them .010 off). Shot 3, 3 shot groups and they were all 3 consistent 5/8 - 3/4" groups.
I have some pieces of brass now on the 7th loading and primer pockets are still good. I believe I will just stick with the 55gr Sierra and go hunt.

What powder, CFE223?

Back