Baiting

Big male came in tonight. 40gr Nosler BT did its job. About 70 yards when hit.

[video:youtube][/video]

zHuru2m.jpg

Nice looking coyote there Burn.

Friday night I called in the big field behind my house. I set up at the back of my shop to have moon shade. While I was setting up I heard some to my southwest open up. I responded with some vocals and saw one come out on the field edge about 500 yds. away. I've called these coyotes too many times already this year. I never could get one to break loose and come across the field.

Saturday morning when I checked my Trail cameras, a female had come just before daylight to investigate where that coyote was. She hit my bait pile from 5:30 to 6:30 this morning. I was hoping she might return soon. I decided to have a look around the field about 9:45 last night and saw her sneaking around just over in the corn stubble at 225 yds. Here she is a pretty nice 31 lb. female.

IMG_0552 by Double Up, on Flickr

Here is the video: Humidity was very high, so not a good view.

Nice one DU. Keep up the good work sir! That basket is a great idea

BTW - the one I shot was full of heartworms. When I rolled him over they came spilling out. That was the first yote I've shot with the 40gr Nosler. Supposed to be running at 3700FPS per their website. It blew a pretty big entry hole and didnt punch through. Maybe it hit a rib and just exploded? Weird...I guess more data is required to make a determination on how good/bad that bullet selection will do.

Last edited:
I've never shot the 40 ballistic tips. I do have some 40 Varmageddon's that were very accurate, but thought they might be a bit frangible for coyotes. That was in a 26" barrel though and they were clocking in about 3,800 fps. I hear the 40 gr. Sierra hp is a very good bullet for coyotes, but haven't shot them either.

Shooting the 40 v-max in a 16" AR was giving me around 3,400 fps. I do think the harder you push them the more explosive they will be on coyotes, so slowing them a little might give better penetration.

Southeast coast coyotes are right in the heat of heartworm territory, so I'm not surprised. I thought how crazy it was for USFWS to try and establish a wild pack of "so called red wolves" in NE North Carolina smack dab in the center of heartworm and mosquito territory. Typical Bureaucracy at work I guess.

Finally it's my turn. Got back in the saddle Saturday morning early, about 6:00 AM. My wife woke me said the alarm was going off. Sure enough a customer. Nice female. I didn't weigh her but she was FAT. Decent hide too. I deleted my still pic by mistake but I finally got the video converted from MOV to MP4 via "Any Video Converter" a free download app.

90 yds .223 X-Sight II factory IR 53gr VMAX

[video:youtube] [/video]

Why is it that sometimes the thumbnail show up and other times just the link. Don't think I am doing any thing different.

Last edited:
Playing with fire, about to feel the "Hammer"....

We had company last night sleeping in the room where the alarm is and my wife turned it off so it wouldn't wake the guest. Haven't seen a coyote here in a month of baiting. He was lucky last night but.....

X1mDHzw.jpg

oBonJkI.jpg

jYTmBud.jpg

Last edited:
Dang I hate equipment failure. We were patiently waiting the alarm to go off last night. I felt sure something would come in, but no alarms all night. Today at noon I check the camera. Obviously we missed some ops. Does any one know where the thread is about adding an antenna to a driveway alarm? I did some searching today and found where DU and Pmack said it was supposed to be 21" or 22" coated wire but I need some info to tell me where to attach it. I remember a thread way back at least a couple years ago where somebody showed how to modify the receiver. I have the receiver set about 90 yds away from the detectors, nothing between us but a window. Last night the detectors were about 18" high but I lowered on to 12" today to see if that would help. I goes off when I am out there but NOT TOO GOOD when the predators come.

The coyote was all we could have shot but we would have enjoyed watching the fat cat and fox.

8X0jvXN.jpg

VsCsETi.jpg

VTedpnr.jpg

Last edited:
I bet nobody here has ever had an obstruction in front of the barrel that you couldn't see through the scope? Last year I shot a hole in a popup ground blind with a muzzle loader cause a bobcat was so close, less than 10 ft, still killed the cat. Last night the window seal was about 1/2" too high on a new setup I rigged in a dark room. I will remember this one cause the 53gr VMAX didn't make it to the coyote. Score a "hole in one" for the coyote. I dare him to come back.

Dang Week, you're giving that coyote way too many opportunities. I don't have the photos of the Driveway Alarm anymore. 6mm might still have them, but you are correct the antenna was 22" on the sender and also the receiver. all you have to do is take apart each unit and solder the existing small antenna wire to the stripped end of the 22" antenna. Be sure to drill your exit hole for the small antenna wire before you solder it. I used wiring ties to hold it alongside the units, but you could do it with rubber bands as well.

Hole in the Wall Ranch comes to mind. LOL. Stuff happens when hunting. I met a guy who told me a few years ago about busting the window out of his hunting shack when he tried to stick the rifle barrel out. Oops, forgot to open the window. He replaced the window, and sometime later did it again. Every time I stay at my cabin I think of that and open the window before I do anything else.

As to coyotes, I haven’t seen one since the first week of November. Very slow here.

As to DoubleUp's antenna modification, below are some photos.

This is the receiver with the external antenna attached. Also it has an external speaker jack attached that allows for an inline volume adjustment. The original speaker was so loud, even on low that it would wake the dead, so this jack was added to allow for the volume control. I then used earbuds while sleeping at night or headphones. You could also use a speaker of some sort and just adjust the volume up or down to a more comfortable sound and one that a coyote might not hear when the alarm goes off. The volume adjustment is available on Ebay.

49432010848_e02591630e_c.jpg

49432010843_c7b716a8c2_c.jpg

This is the sensor (sending unit) with an external antenna attached. This unit was placed in a Sterillite box to keep it out of the weather.

49432010863_ddca661735_c.jpg

49432713392_96286dbe2a_c.jpg

thanks for the rewind 06, much appreciated. We are definitely having animals eat for free right now. I will add the antennas ASAP. Had a red and gray fox there last night with no alarm. The "window seal" coyote has not been back. No surprise there.

Things have been slow on my end. The fox are pretty much paired and not showing up at the piles. My "honey hole" spot got invaded by a pair of dogs every day and night. They were marking the bait area heavily so nothing was showing there. Monday night, however, a coyote did pass by at that location so I thought you yoters would like to see. One showed about a month ago too.

Stay after that coyote Week! Its just a matter of time 'til you get him.

Back