20 caliber wishing

deltahunter

It seems one of the biggest problems/complaints with the 20 caliber bullet offerings is the lack of a tough bullet that will stabilize in a 1/12 twist. I read story after story about the bullets making splash wounds when hitting bones and not penetrating. The heavier 40 grain bullets typically won’t stabilize in the factory 1/12 twist barrels. The 45 grain Hornady didn’t have a good BC and it’s also been discontinued. The 35 grain Berger seems to do good, but the BC is lacking. So here’s my suggestion... what if Sierra made a 20 caliber game king design like the 22 caliber #1365!! Maybe in a 35 grain?? Or if Nosler made an Accubond in a 32-35 grain??

Last edited:
I have thought about the 33 gr Calhoon, I shot some of his 17 bullets, they seemed like a "tougher" bullet then other 17 varmint bullets. Maybe someone here has tried them on critters larger than gophers and pd. My AR and TC are 1/10 so the 40's are not an issue.

I had Don Unmussig make me some sleek, tough, 38 gr. on drawn down .224 SMKs. No splash even at 4250 fps.

- DAA

I don’t know what your rifle is but I had great luck with 39gr Janes Calhoun in a 1-12" twist. Then I built an AR with a 1-9” twist and shot the 50gr Berger when they were available, also with great success.

I now have a 20-223 Improved 1-10” twist. Fire forming brass with 39gr SBK. I bought 1000 40gr BiB’s that has excellent bc and have heard they are fur friendly.

The 17 bullet selection is just as terrible. Very few factory offerings and those are all plastic tipped.

Sad times for us small caliber shooters.

Back