Cold front coyote

Snowshoes

Yesterday’s weather forecast for this morning was a tad off and not in a good way. I checked both the “Weather Network” and my personnel weather station and both relayed the same current message “ Extreme Cold Advisory”. The temperature was minus 20F and a wind-chill of minus 44F. Not going to let a little cold air hold me back so I dressed up in multiple layers and away I went. As I drove down the gravel road in periodic whiteout conditions, I questioned my sanity for going out. I did check out the definition of sanity and I failed miserably
smile.gif

san·i·ty
noun
1. the ability to think and behave in a normal and rational manner; sound mental health

Parked the truck on the south side of a bush patch which did shelter from the wind some but the sound of the haunting winds howling through the tree tops was disturbing to say the least. Heated vest, heated gloves, and heated socks all turned on before venturing the quarter mile to the next bush patch. I hadn’t covered 200 yards before kicking two bedded coyotes from a pile of hay. They both were trotting away as I scrambled to get my big mitts off and the rifle onto the bi-pod. I barked and howled to stop them which does stop the one. A quick shot drops the stationary coyote on a windblown hill top. I can’t see the other coyote as I chamber another round but notice the one I had knocked down was back up and starting to trot away. The newly chambered shell was put to good use by dropping the coyote down for good.
Walked out to where the coyote laid and didn’t appreciate the full force of the arctic winds, so rational thinking prevailed and I walked back to the truck, picked the coyote up and headed home.
The first shot had the 64 gr hp catch the coyote a bit further back than where I wanted.

The comforts of home was very much appreciated on my return.

Last edited:
I guess its just me but if I remember correctly -40 will freeze flesh pretty quickly...there is that sanity question.... LOL

Good going on the shot and braving the weather (again, sanity...LOL)

Brrrrrrrrr is what it is. Congrats on getting something on this cold blowing wind. At least you didn't have to sit for hour for something to come by. Congrats

And the forecasts is to be colder yet for the next few days. Not too often I rather be in the office than hunting but this week will be the exception!

Back