My 8mm rem mag project

jetman

8mm project as it stands.
Still needs to be bedded, if necessary.
I'll zero it at 245 yards, that should give me an 8" target zone from 100 to 400 yards.
And of course, develop a load.
Looking to try Sierra 220's and Barnes TSX 200 gr.
Powder may be reloader 26, Magpro.
"Before"
IMG-20191129-121409.jpg

"After"
8mm-rifle-t.jpg

Homemade dead mule.
IMG-20191213-105754.jpg

Burris 4 1/2 x 14 droptine scope.
IMG-20191227-091808.jpg

IMG-20191227-091713.jpg

Factory take off stock and squishy recoil pad.
The claw sling.
120 factory shells and 100 brass.
So far all in I have under $800 into her.
Still need dies.

Nice I’d like to hear more about the home made dead mule. I’m guessing it’s something to help lessen felt recoil on the lighter synthetic stock.

Originally Posted By: Displayed NameNice I’d like to hear more about the homemade dead mule. I’m guessing it’s something to help lessen felt recoil on the lighter synthetic stock.
Yes for recoil.
https://tch220549.tch.www.quora.com/What-is-the-most-effective-way-to-lower-the-recoil-of-a-gun

I used a piece of lead tubing 4" long by 3/4" around.
One was already capped, I added 3 oz of lead #9 lead shot with about an inch of free space capped off the other end, soldered it closed.
Epoxied it to a plastic conduit and epoxied that to the inside of the stock so it can't move. The plastic stock was a pound lighter than the wood , the mule added 2 pounds, I netted one pound, The movement of the shot helps slow the recoil to your shoulder, making it felt less.

I always thought that the 8mm Mag was a superior round than the .338 Win mag. Had I not had a .338 Win at that time I likely would have bought one. Glad to see someone is going to have fun with his. Wish it was mine.

Good going!
Like the idea for the recoil reducer.
We used liquid mercury inside a steel tube back in the day. I imagine the mercury would be hard to get a hold of now.
Hope she's a shooter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jetmanOriginally Posted By: Displayed NameNice I’d like to hear more about the homemade dead mule. I’m guessing it’s something to help lessen felt recoil on the lighter synthetic stock.
Yes for recoil.
https://tch220549.tch.www.quora.com/What-is-the-most-effective-way-to-lower-the-recoil-of-a-gun

I used a piece of lead tubing 4" long by 3/4" around.
One was already capped, I added 3 oz of lead #9 lead shot with about an inch of free space capped off the other end, soldered it closed.
Epoxied it to a plastic conduit and epoxied that to the inside of the stock so it can't move. The plastic stock was a pound lighter than the wood , the mule added 2 pounds, I netted one pound, The movement of the shot helps slow the recoil to your shoulder, making it felt less.

Nice project thanks for sharing

I was reading your post and had a thought if you don't mind, If your reducer works out and your happy with it. You might fill the butt stock with that spray can insulation. The reducer would be captured and never move and it would help take the hollow sound out of your stock. It was just an idea, you may have already considered it. Anyway good job on the build!!

Last edited:
Oh and BTW Bill- congratulations on putting "you know who" on ignore. Trust me this is way WAY better not ever having to read any of his hate filled and moronic diatribe. He is going to to have to go off on someone else from now on I suppose. I feel so bad for him. Not!!
thumbup.gif
thumbup.gif
thumbup.gif

To the OP, you'll find the 8MM Mag to be a useful cartridge for larger game. It was just too similar to the already entrenched 338 Win Mag to gain much of a footing, and that fact combined with the lack of marketing support from Remington after it was introduced, it failed to become viable.

On the plus side, the 416 Rem Mag, another good cartridge, is for the most part just a necked up 8MM Mag.

Originally Posted By: RustydustOh and BTW Bill- congratulations on putting "you know who" on ignore. Trust me this is way WAY better not ever having to read any of his hate filled and moronic diatribe. He is going to to have to go off on someone else from now on I suppose. I feel so bad for him. Not!!
thumbup.gif
thumbup.gif
thumbup.gif

Off topic...

Yes but only with factory shells.
The homemade dead mule works fantastic. The recoil with the 220 gr bullets is much less than my 870 and duck loads. The Burris droptine 4/12x 14 is very nice and working well. I went out the other day and shot 20 some shells without a problem. I'm getting just over an inch to 1.5 at 100 yards I'm sure I can get better with hand loads. I zeroed it at 240 yards Out there it is around 2" spread. That puts it about 2" high at 100. There again with reloads, I'll bet I can get better. 300 yards is only an inch lower Holding dead on. I have not shot it farther yet. The scope has hash marks I would like to try but want to wait for the faster reloads to experiment with.
But so far I'm liking it

tt1.gif

Back