Baiting

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpIt's always neat and often surprising to see what passes by day and night. Good work 6.

Burn, did you kill 'em all up?

Lol DU, actually I thought I did kill 'em all up as its been quite a dry spell around my house. However, this guy showed up 3 nights ago and I finally decided to wait for him. Guess I got lucky because at 6:45pm he came walking in. Boom...ran about 20-25yards and piled up. I'll post pics tomorrow when I get out to him in the daylight.

ETA - Actually this yote travled 75 yards until it expired last night. Seemed a lot shorter than that last night when out in the dark as I stated it was probably 20-25 so my internal "distance meter" was off quite a bit. They are tough animals for sure. Thats about the longest distance I've had one run after shooting.

j1LquMA.jpg

J5KtwSM.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks 6mm. I picked up the ATN IR850 as an extra IR light on my gun a while back, so now I have 2 lights. The one that came with the 4K scope ane the IR850. Typically I use the original one to identify, then when it comes time to hit the record button I turn on the IR850 to really light things up. Works very well for me. The coyote traveled 75 yards after the shot with a 55gr TAP Urban 556 round. They are tough animals for sure.

Last edited:
That's great Burn. It does sometimes take a while for a fresh crop to move back in, but "if you bait it, they will come." The mating season seems to cause a lot of migration movement so hold on for fresh faces starting soon.

There's been a dry spell here in Central Texas. I've caught a limited number of pigs and coons though. All have been really fat. We had a bumper crop of acorns so I'm figuring that's keeping everything fed.

Maybe some of those fresh faces DU mentioned will be heading your way soon ManyMag.

After baiting for 2+ years now its the only way for me that seems to work. Maybe someday I'll get one called in but around these parts they typically head the other direction when a caller sounds off. I use cheap dry dog food and cat food. About once a week I'll heat up a cup of bacon grease and throw it up in the air over the bait pile so it spreads out quite a bit and saturates the trees and ground.

It takes a little patience and persistance but its part of the joy of hunting to me. Check the trail cams every morning while out on a walk with the dog and assess whats going on the night before. I enjoy watching the other animals around the bait pile when hunting. They certainly are early warning systems just before a yote comes in the area.

On the one above, there was a nice gray fox and a coon on the bait pile and both got nervous and started looking in the same direction at full attention. The fox took off and the coon went up a tree. 30 seconds later the coyote came in. Watching the other critters and noticing their behaviors makes a big difference at least in my experience.

Night vision was such a game changer. I've got a few hunting buddies who want to hunt coyotes and some even have some very nice equipment as compared to me, but they dont put the time in.

Coyote hunting is one of the coolest things I ever got into. The neighborhood cats and dogs are a lot safer around here thats for sure. My area was totally saturated with them when I started. Now its just monitor and maintain when one of those "fresh faces" shows up.

Originally Posted By: Burnsome...It takes a little patience and persistance ...... I've got a few hunting buddies who want to hunt coyotes and some even have some very nice equipment as compared to me, but they dont put the time in.
Successful baiting is not for the lazy. It’s work, time and persistance as you mentioned. It’s also educational watching coyote behavior via trail camera videos. I have been doing this since 2011 and have enjoyed experimenting and trying this and that. I think the experimentation is at least half the fun, if not more.

Burn - Congrats on the latest yote. And I concur, Night Vision has been the game changer for me as well. Just Love it!
Last Thursday evening I got in the predator stand early - - like 5:30pm. 15 minutes later a red dog came into the bait pile on a string and BOOM! he went down hard. Being it was so early I hung out to wait and see if maybe there might be another one. An hour later another did show up. She too, came right into the bait. This time I remembered to hit the record button so I got that kill on video. She dropped right close to the first one as you can see. When I checked the camera SD card the next day there was yet a third Red that came in to the bait pile at around 1:00am.

ATN dog and vixen Pond stand Dec. 19, 2019 by Gobbler Getter, on Flickr

Video:

Here is an interesting video my game camera caught the other night. It's a Red fox picking a fight with a possum at the bait pile. I think Ol' Possum won this one. Enjoy.

To each of you Baiters: May your Christmas be blessed with family and friends and may 2020 be a healthy and happy year. God Bless and Merry Christmas!
gg

Merry Christmas to everyone.

Gobbler, nice job on the red. Apparently you have a bunch of them in your neck of the woods. As to the possum, I had one a few years ago that wasn’t afraid of fox or skunks. He would chase the fox away, actually run after them and would bite the skunks. You may remember the video I posted some time back. They are tough little critters.

Happy New Year to all the baiters out there. May 2020 bring us all more fur down and great hunting memories.

I'm out tonight to hunt one of the new fresh faced coyotes that showed up here in my area a couple of nights ago. Pretty big one based on the trail cam pics I got

Great way to bring in the new year.

Bait Question for you experts ---

Anybody ever tried...cat...uhhum...poop for coyote bait?

Domestic cat that is. Have two here at the house that produce an unlimited supply of it and it got me thinking....lol

OK I am having a senior moment. I finally got something to share and I am having problems. I have made several videos with my X-Sight II but have a new computer now and I am having issues. I usually use Window Movie Maker to edit my videos but WMM won't play this video. It says it doesn't support the format. I can play the video on my computer with VLC Media player but I can't figure out how to save it in a format that Windows Movie Maker can use. Any techies out there that can give me some steps to follow? The video is currently in .MOV file format.

Back