DIY coyote hunting pack

obsessed1

Got frustrated with different methods of hauling my coyote gear. With money being tight I decided to DIY a fix for the problem.
Gear to haul.
1.Stadium seat
2.foxpro ( sometimes)
3.Hand calls
4.Drag
5.shooting sticks
6.22-250
7.12g scatter gun.
Solution:
I pulled out the old sewing machine and came up with a solution.
Using a few chunks of webbing I sewed on 4 D loops on one side of a cheap soft rifle case. To these I attached two allen rifle slings to these to make it into a backpack. Then I sewed that case to another case(same as the first one) all the way along the zippers then along the back of the case creating a two gun case with a " pocket" between. Sandwiched between the two cases rides my shooting sticks/bipod. I added two zippers along the edges of the folded stadium seat that when zipped creates a open topped bag. On the seat I also sewed on some webbing with buckles and buckles on the outside gun case. The seat carries any extra gear and Ecaller( when needed) and snaps right onto the double gun cases. Simple and effective way to carry double gun and gear.

Last edited:

Getting gear to a stand and back seems to always be a pain. I have tried a backpack and cram the caller and smaller stuff into that, but I still have a rifle to carry, shooting bipod and Cabela’s lounge chair along with the backpack. I am still looking for a better option. Do you have photos of your pack?

Photos would be cool! I use a pack from Cabela’s it’s not big not small. Wouldn’t be big enough for packing out meat on like an backcountry game hunt. But it does well enough for calling coyotes has a water bladder, some pockets. I generally have my range finder in an easy to access pocket, foxpro remote in a zipper pocket, carry the foxpro fusion itself, hand calls I just wear on a lanyard around my neck. In the pack I have my wallet with hunting license id, small first aid kit, small foil emergency foil blanket, outdoor edge knife, and a pair pair of gloves. Rifle I just carry with a sling my current rifle is crazy heavy but I’m working on a new build that should be around 9lbs which will be 4-5 lbs lighter then my current setup.

Must be nice, Smokin. Wish I could be more like you and travel light. I assume you don’t use any type of seat, nor a bipod. Those two things I need, one for my aging back and the other to steady my rifle for better shooting, so leaving them home is not an option for me.

I run the cabela's speedy 'yote kickstand vest. I have one in snow camo and regular camo that work awesome for me. I also run a lanyard that has my remote for my e-caller and hand calls on it.

Originally Posted By: obsessed1Got frustrated with different methods of hauling my coyote gear. With money being tight I decided to DIY a fix for the problem.
Gear to haul.
1.Stadium seat
2.foxpro ( sometimes)
3.Hand calls
4.Drag
5.shooting sticks
6.22-250
7.12g scatter gun.
Solution:
I pulled out the old sewing machine and came up with a solution.
Using a few chunks of webbing I sewed on 4 D loops on one side of a cheap soft rifle case. To these I attached two allen rifle slings to these to make it into a backpack. Then I sewed that case to another case(same as the first one) all the way along the zippers then along the back of the case creating a two gun case with a " pocket" between. Sandwiched between the two cases rides my shooting sticks/bipod. I added two zippers along the edges of the folded stadium seat that when zipped creates a open topped bag. On the seat I also sewed on some webbing with buckles and buckles on the outside gun case. The seat carries any extra gear and Ecaller( when needed) and snaps right onto the double gun cases. Simple and effective way to carry double gun and gear.

I envy your ability to sew up what suits your needs. I made up my own suspenders/belt setup but as far as sewing anything goes...I tried to sew on a button one time but it didn't work out. Here is mine;
UmRxwDH.jpg

Last edited:
I have tried diy packs and adding rings and straps to them. Never really satisfied me. I finally bought EBERLESTOCK pack. Works great for carrying one gun on your back, shooting sticks and e-caller. Back up when I am using a shotgun only is an old Gander mountain backpack. None of them are cheap but sometimes you have to pay.

Originally Posted By: Mtns2huntI have tried diy packs and adding rings and straps to them. Never really satisfied me. I finally bought EBERLESTOCK pack. Works great for carrying one gun on your back, shooting sticks and e-caller. Back up when I am using a shotgun only is an old Gander mountain backpack. None of them are cheap but sometimes you have to pay.

Which model Eberlestock pack did you get? TIA

Originally Posted By: Mtns2huntI have tried diy packs and adding rings and straps to them. Never really satisfied me. I finally bought EBERLESTOCK pack. Works great for carrying one gun on your back, shooting sticks and e-caller. Back up when I am using a shotgun only is an old Gander mountain backpack. None of them are cheap but sometimes you have to pay.
I already own an eberlstock gunslinger ll I was looking for a lighter system for packing two guns,sticks,and stadium seat

I have a Nimrod backs scabbard with clips to hook my caller bag bag in the front. My rifle(ammo and spare hand call a butt bag), shooting sticks and chair are in or on the scabbard. I jump off the bike walk into the stand and place my caller from the bag(the remote is velcroed to my right thigh, walk back to where I'm going to sit take off the scabbard and set up my seat, sticks make a stand, load up and head back to the bike and head for the next stand. Everything stays on my back while I'm riding. It is a great system for me. I do wear a helmet, balaclava, heavy coat and heavy mitts while driving out on the man roads but shed them and just ride in my hunting gear out in the country. Stand to stand I'm not going fast enough to get cold.

9KhlV8.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve looked for what I consider to be a good overall calling accessory pack for several years. I came across the Summit chairpack. Look it up. I found this product about 4 weeks ago and ordered one. I’ve used it on a regular basis over the last 3 weeks and love it. I use an AR so I carry it as a chest rig leaving both hands free. Here is the website description:

The Camo ChairPack 2.5 is a fold-out chair and backpack all in one. The unique ChairPack can easily hold all of your hunting gear in its spacious pack and then quickly fold out into a fully-functional chair with backrest. The ChairPack features an adjustable position seat that allows you to sit upright or reclined and has MOLLE attachments. The ChairPack is ideal for hunting dove, turkey, deer and predators. The ChairPak only weighs 7 pounds, but will hold 225 pounds in the seated position.

I have seen those chairs but the price in CDN is wayyy to much for a chair. The purpose of this particular pack build was to carry minimal gear and 2 guns. All my other pack systems that I use coyote hunting force me to carry one gun in hand or slung on the shoulder with a pack on. This pack puts both guns cased and carried center of my back. Works great for those times when I want to pack both

I understand totally. I’m in the same position about buying a thermal. I want one bad but can’t come up with the $ yet.
I ride an Ebike and wear my AR as a chest rig and put my shotgun in the scabbard mounted on my bike rack. If only carrying one gun then it rides in the scabbard. I like your DIY hunting pack. You put together an awesome piece of hunting gear.

Back