What mph winds do you call it quits

Whitetaildown

Just wondering what wind you stop calling in. This weekend is suppose to be ice and snow with 15-25mph winds Saturday morning. I know the evening will be awesome but I’m unsure about the morning. I’m planning to hunt all day on Saturday.

Obviously calling is tougher in the wind and if the choice, we would all pick light to no wind. With that being said, it all depends on your drive and how hardcore you are. Me, I'm not too afraid of wind. But im also from ND where its rarely NOT windy...any chance or free time I get, I want to be out calling. All I can say is you cant kill em on the couch bud!

About sun up it says wind is suppose to be 17mph on Saturday with it falling all day while the snow is falling so hopefully it won’t be bad. However we are suppose to get 1/4”-1/2” of ice Friday night into early parts of Saturday morning but then switch over to 2-6” of snow. So it will be interesting to say the least.

Originally Posted By: moog5050Good luck. Anything 15 or over is where I am not likely to try to call predators.

Same here.

I've wasted quite a bit of time calling in high winds. Seems like about 15-20 is the cutoff for decent responses here. I was supposed to spend tomorrow calling. Weather forecast calls for winds at 25-30 and gusts to 40. We bagged it and rescheduled for Saturday. By the time the wind hits about 20, I'm done and start looking to exit stage left. I'm not that mad at them.

In hi winds I do what the predators do, I get down low. I get away from large open pastures and fields and get down into rough cuts, gumbos, ravines etc. it is the time I lean on an e caller for its volume. Call with the wind and try to have at least a 60 yard field of fire in front of you.
I have nailed some of the gnarliest old dogs during those hi wind days, days with winds 20-30.

Hef-A

Anything over 10 is a no-go for me,But we done get a lot of wind on a normal basis.I have in the past had some very good luck on windy days But you have to almost set up on top of them it seems to me I.E. fast response time.

Never quit. When it gets really windy I grab a shotgun and head into low lying creek beds and gullies that offer a break from the wind with all the trees. So do the coyotes. I've had some great success on windy days like this. Generally, 15mph+ has me headed for those spots.

I usually call it if the winds are around 20. I hunt a bunch of areas that have wind turbines on them, so wind is a constant here for most part....I have most success when the wind is around 10, as it is easier to get to the areas using the wind in my favor.

Kinda depends on the circumstances.
If it's just a local hunt like under 75 miles out and I think I'll have a better opportunity tomorrow I'd not go in over 10 mph. If it is the only time I can get out for several days or in between storms I'm more likely to stretch that to under 20mph.
If I'm on an extended hunt like 150 miles or more I'll first research the wind forecast and look for the best case place but take whatever I get when I get there, A big investment in $$$ and time I just have to make do.

I don't mind the wind, in higher winds I get into the thick stuff. Working into the wind you can space your stands closer. Reponses are usually quick as they don't seam to want to cover any distance in the wind as I think it robs them of their sense of hearing, smell and even their sight as everything is waving around, grass branches etc.. I've found that the wind really covers the sounds I make entering a stand and I can get coyotes that I might have bumped on a calm day.

It also depends a lot on the opportunities you have, if you have one day that week to hunt and it's windy, go hunting. If you can go anytime you can cherry pick the days that are most favorable to you.

We are forecast for wind (up to 35 mph gusts) and rain today through Sunday with about 3-5" of rainfall. No snow or ice thank God. Got 1.5" last night through about 8:00 AM this morning.

Our country here, around the house, is real hilly with deep timbered draws/drainages that if you get right you can see a good ways down through that timber. Thats where I try and go when the wind gets up. I have become limited by my physical/medical condition to where I can go but have taken a good few coyotes hunting this kind of cover when the wind is up.

The downside this weekend is going to be the rain. I dont like a wet butt any more then the next guy.

Good luck and watch out for that ice....

Last edited:
15+ and I will stay home, though I had my best single afternoon of calling on a very high wind day.

I did 9 stands, and called in at least one coyote on each stand.

On windy days, I make my stands much closer, sometimes only 200yds apart, and spend about 10 minutes per stand.

My reasoning is they can't hear me from long range, so they should respond faster.

As others have said, get into the brush or ravines. Coyotes want to be comfortable while they snooze, but still smell and see danger, so you might find them higher on a hill, facing downwind, etc.

For me it all depends how bad I want to call that day. I've called in coyotes when the wind was 25+ mph. I question how bad I want to call that day when the wind will be more that 10 mph and really question myself if it is more than 20 mph. I have plenty of things to do around the house that I should work on in my spare time so If it is windy then it isn't hard for me to decide to stay home. However, my best day of calling ever had gusting 25 mph + wind at my house at 4:30am. I almost stayed home but I'm glade I didn't. After driving over an hour from my house the wind was only about 10 mph at sunrise and calmed down even more by 10 am. I called in 13 coyotes that morning.

I appreciate the info guys. Tomorrow it’s suppose to 16mph at sun up and drop through most of the day. It’s a north wind and most of our places need a south wind. Thank god it switches tomorrow night to the south. I think it will be a good weekend in the coyote woods since this is the first real cold snap in a few weeks.

Originally Posted By: K-22hornet.15+ and I will stay home, though I had my best single afternoon of calling on a very high wind day.

I did 9 stands, and called in at least one coyote on each stand.

On windy days, I make my stands much closer, sometimes only 200yds apart, and spend about 10 minutes per stand.

My reasoning is they can't hear me from long range, so they should respond faster.

As others have said, get into the brush or ravines. Coyotes want to be comfortable while they snooze, but still smell and see danger, so you might find them higher on a hill, facing downwind

+1
I’ve had some fairly good days in the wind. Not real desirable but sometimes in the right areas it can be an advantage.

If the wind is 15 mph or higher, I would prefer to use my time for something else. However, when the wind is blowing hard, I have had good luck facing the ecaller into the wind at high volume, but watching downwind. I like this method if the downwind is where I think the coyotes are anyway. There is a big difference between this approach and just calling with high volume in times of low wind speed.

Back