How much time between nights of hunting?

Shooter222

Custom Call Maker
Well I have a few questions for you guys. I have 15 different properties to hunt.
The question is if I hunt Monday night and see nothing when should I try the land again? I don’t wanna create educated coyotes. I mean just cause I didn’t see anything doesn’t mean I didn’t call something in. I understand that.

One of my sets last week I called one in and didn’t get a shot. He didn’t wind me but he hung up, I’m guessing he didn’t like something. I’ve been hesitant to hunt there again .
What’s your guys opinion on when I should try that one again compared to sets where I didn’t see anything?

Thanks in advance

Originally Posted By: Shooter222Well I have a few questions for you guys. I have 15 different properties to hunt.
The question is if I hunt Monday night and see nothing when should I try the land again? I don’t wanna create educated coyotes. I mean just cause I didn’t see anything doesn’t mean I didn’t call something in. I understand that.

One of my sets last week I called one in and didn’t get a shot. He didn’t wind me but he hung up, I’m guessing he didn’t like something. I’ve been hesitant to hunt there again .
What’s your guys opinion on when I should try that one again compared to sets where I didn’t see anything?

Thanks in advance
Thursday night I called in 4 coyotes behind my uncles feedlot and killed one. I shot 15 rounds at the remaining 3. 4-5 days later called in 2 and killed one. Im a noob at this but just my findings.

Thanks your your input. I just don’t wanna “wear the spot out “.

I had success using weird calls like finch distress , silver fox distress.

I’m trying to use calls that others are not. I have a feeling some of the land I hunt has been hunted heavily before. So I’m trying different sounds.

Hunt what you have and continue to try to find new public lands and continue land owner relations to try and get access to more and more land. There are many properties I hunt that I may only hit once per year. In general, I have access to enough land that I would rarely ever hit the same property more than 3 times in a season, and even then probably during different times of the year such as fall, winter, and maybe early spring.

If hunting the same property along with trying different sounds, approach from different angles and use different calling locations if at all possible.

Thanks Korey,
I have been knocking on doors every time I get the chance . I’m surprised on how people react to asking if I can coyote hunt their land. Most say yes, go right ahead.
It’s a whole different game then deer hunting where everyone wants to save their “honey holes”.

I will definitely switch up entry routes and stand locations on the properties I have.

Thank you

We pretty much Hammer our spots to death I'd rather hunt somewhere than not at all. With that said I've always got my eye out for new property. In my opinion if I didn't pick him up with my thermal they didn't pick me up unless I happen to be in an area where they could get way into the brush downwind of me.

Last edited:
I'm with varminter, I hunt where I can when I can when the conditions are right. In the same 2 fields across the street from each other I missed a coyote in late November, lost one Christmas eve and killed 2 on consecutive nights in early January. I plan on going back as soon as I can as long as I'm having success and the conditions are right.

Certainly it is possible to go right back even the next night and kill a coyote, but the longer you can wait the better. Of course unless you have exclusive control of a property, you could be calling behind someone who has just been there recently. Coyotes get to where they just don't want to respond if they are called over and over.

Much as Kirsch said, we try to call a place in the fall, again in the winter, and spring. This area doesn't have a lot of coyote hunters, so we're not often calling behind somebody else. I like to wait at least 6 weeks even if a place has been good over the years. Some places just seem to be coyote magnets and replenish rather quickly.

If we kill all the coyotes that came in on a stand, then we're more likely to call it again in about 6 weeks, but if we have one or two that got away, it is best to wait longer I think. If nothing shows up then it is anybody's guess as to whether they didn't respond because of pressure, just weren't in the area, or simply weren't moving at that time.

We could probably hit every stand we have on 5 nights.
We hunt 3 or 4 nights per week from Nov. 10 thru March 15.
That's 50 to 60 nights per year hitting 5 or so spots per night.
We have ready hit some 5 or 6 times.
We've killed and recovered 30 at night since Nov 10th and right at 142 since Jan 2016 when we started with about 1/3 of these spots. Add in 12 to 15
archery or gun kills while deer hunting these areas.
We keep digging singles and or doubles out of these places and it makes you work on your setup. Continually find dumb coyotes is fun but it doesnt make you a better hunter. I enjoy earning one now and again.

Last edited:
Back