Tires for the Tacoma

Originally Posted By: DAA
IMG_00551.jpg

the clutch pack in the posi looks to be in fine shape.
thumbup1.gif
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI got a good deal from Discount Tires on a set of Pathfinders. They are Hankook but sold as a house brand for Discount Tire. The price fit the budget and are 55000 mile tires. They have an AT tread and are supposed to be fairly quiet. We shall see!! Thanks for all the responses.

We've been running these on a Ram 1500 for about 11k miles now. They were installed new by the dealer from which we bought the truck because they have a corporate account at Discount Tire, so I had little say in the matter. They were however, nice enough to add the road hazard certificates and put the purchase in my name at Discount Tire. Honestly, I've been pretty impressed with the tires. They are smooth and quiet on the highway, and so far have done really well off road in sand, rocks, and a bit of snow. They perform like a typical AT in the mud, which is to say not great, but good enough to keep you going unless you go full on stupid. After 11k miles they still look near new; can't see any wear at all, and I'm just getting ready to rotate for the second time. I'm pretty sure they'll go the 55k miles for which they are rated.

Short story - if I was in charge, I would have installed Cooper Discover ATPs instead, but I sure can't complain about these tires.

The tread on the Pathfinder and the KO's is very similar. For an AT, its a fairly aggressive tread. I'm hoping that being on such a small truck they will serve me well. I average about 1500+/- miles a year so they should last me a while.

Anybody know if the weight of the KO2's vs. Duratracs or similar tires makes much difference? I've got a set of Duratracs on my truck and as mentioned they are starting to get louder as they age. Thinking of trying KO2's since I've heard lots of good feedback, but someone on another forum mentioned they are like 10lbs heavier per tire than the Duratracs (C rated), and that the extra weight takes a big toll on mpgs and torque/speed off the line. I'm not a car guy so don't know if that is all real or BS.

Originally Posted By: Tim Neitzke1,500 miles ! They will dry rot before you wear them out..lol

I don't put a lot of miles on a vehicle except during hunting season. I do spend a lot of time at the gun club but its a short drive. The public land I hunt is only 30 minutes away. I might put 2000 a year if I do a lot of driving. I have friends that drive some of the time and that helps keep the mileage down as well. I only drove my truck twice going deer hunting this year. The rest of the time I rode with a buddy. LOL, I only hunted three days this year and killed two bucks. The freezers full so I quit deer hunting for the season.

I have a 2011 Ford Raptor and this is the the 3rd year I have been running the Duratrac's during hunting season.
I got them because they are the most aggressive tire I could find the the severe winter rating.
In snow they are not near as good as the factory BF Goodrich AT's. Even in deep packed snow like snow banks from the plows.
They are much better in mud and driving across fields then the AT's.

I run two sets of wheels and tires. One dedicated set for summer and the other for winter. I run the BFG Mud TA's for winter, and street tire in the summer. Some say I'm a tight wad and this might show it, but I bought my extra set of wheels and tires off Craigslist for $300, with half worn out street tires already mounted and I buy the 255/75 17 mud TA's off craigslist from the Jeep owners that seem to always ditch them for larger wheels and tires shortly after buying the new vehicle.
The Mud Ta's aren't very good on ice but deep snow and especially mud they shine.

Michelin LTX......rated as a snow tire, ride and wear like a street tire. I wont buy anything else. If it gets bad...Get a set of chains, and you’ll go Just about anywhere you want to go in the mud or snow. If you can’t get through with that set up.......you probably shouldn’t be out.

Never been a fan of Michelin tires. I got such a deal on the Pathfinders I couldn't refuse it. Next day it got even better.

The deal started out with four take off tires for $450 out the door. Problem was they weren't all the same tread, two of each. Well, I'm to anal for that so that deal didn't work. So, next deal was the two take offs and two new tires for $550. I offered $500 and they took it. This is with warranty on all four, free rotate and balance, free flat repair and road hazard replacement. Not a bad deal for a 55,000 mile tire. Next day the tire shop calls and said they messed up and installed four new tires instead of the two take offs and the two new ones. Then he said Enjoy your new tires and Thank You!!

Originally Posted By: tripod3You should feel guilty.

Maybe a little but I didn't put the tires on my truck. Soooo, they sure are nice!

I been running a set of Falken Wildpeak AT's(10 ply)for 2 years on my f150. They hold a lot of small rocks, so I tell everyone they will last a long time since trucks running on rocks not rubber. I have to air down for best snow and mud traction and road mileage drops when below 50# air pressure. They were cheaper than the Hankook ATM(set before). A friend just put a set of Hankook ATM2's(10 ply) on his tundra, really likes them. I think the Hankooks are better snow tires, but wear faster.

Just put a set of the falken wildpeaks on my superduty....so far i like em.....quiet, handles WAY bettern with the bfg longtrails i had that were e rated but rode like 1/2 ton tires. A local guy claims a ridiculous number of miles on his last set on his f250, so we shall see. Trusted local me hanic recommended em based on a num er locals thatre happy with them.

I hunt Northern Nevada and have bought many sets of the TKO’s.they really don’t last very long and they all started chipping off rubber after a year of use.I have not used the newest TKO’s.I did a lot of research on tires and decided to go with the Coopers MAXX Pro.used them the last three years and they are the best tires I used for hunting in extreme conditions.
Check there website on the way the tire is designed it’s a very well thought out tire and works great.they are a little noisy on the highway.the price you pay for a great off-road tire.the wear on these tire are a lot better then the TKO’s.
Most of my driving is off-road Predator Hunting and upland birds.

I have a set of Bridgestone Revo twos on my truck right now going on eight years and have 5/32 left. They changed their design and tread depths with the 3’s so they only have 17/32’s VS 22 like mine did with 10 ply 315/50-17’s. I got cheap because the truck is ready to be trade it in and I’m just not ready to do it yet so I ordered a set of 285/70r17/10ply Patagonia MT’s on Black Friday for $479 bucks off amazon for a set shipped to my door. Figured they’ll last me till I buy a new ride. Tons of reviews on YouTube saying they’re really quiet for an aggressive tire and they go through snow like nobody’s business. They have been sitting in my garage ever since. One of these days I’ll get them put on... Got to get all the money out of my Bridgetones you know.lol...when I bought the bridgestone tires I managed a tire shop and got a AT 2 technology discount direct from Bridgestone and basically paid $25 less for the set of bridgestones... About the only perk of the job. I used to buy a set every year and and sold my take offs for what I paid for the new set. My buddies used to stand in line for them as they sold for about $1200 a set... I’m sure they’re more now. TKO’s, ATM’s, nitro terra grapplers, and Falken’s always got great reviews from my customers as well.

Here’s the review. I figured it was a cheap enough gamble and if they last three years and don’t howl I got my moneys worth out of them.

GkaX5pg.jpg

Last edited:
Back