Close encounter

Snowshoes

With fresh snow and colder temperatures upon us, I made time for one quick stand before my wife and left for a couple appointments in the city.
Pulled off the road into a field next to a ravine. Parked my truck by a tractor and then walked a 100 yards to a round bale where I would set up.
The ravine runs north a quarter mile where it joins the river valley. Historically coyotes have come from the north and that would be the area receiving the majority of my attention.
Went through a sequence of calls starting with coyote howls, followed with cottontail distress and lastly lip squeaks.
A 4 minute wait after the howls had showed no evidence of vocal or visible responses, so I switched to the rabbit distress which also lacked the ability to produce any coyotes.
As a last hope, I tried lip squeaks just in case one was close by. Watched the field for a few minutes and was about to glass the edge of the ravine and edge of the river valley one last time when I notice a coyote standing directly west of me. The coyote is close and I know its now or never to take a shot. I have to move the rifle into position and the coyote decides it should maybe leave the area. The coyote starts to trot away and I give a howl which does stop it. A 53 yard shot has the coyote down. (it would have been roughly 40 yards away when I first seen it).
The 223AI scores coyote # 49.

Back