Trail XP50 v Thermion XP50

moog5050

So I have been hunting with the trail XP50 and really like it. It’s got great clarity and has been problem free. I use the helion xp50 for a scanner and really like the rainbow color pallet as I find it easy on the eyes and that dogs show really well, not that they are bad in white hot or black hot on the trail. But thinking about selling the trail and picking up the thermion primarily for that reason. One thing that concerns me about the thermion is an internal battery. If it goes bad, it seems like a much bigger issue than a bad battery with the trail models. Any thoughts on this? I know they are fairly new, but is anyone aware of internal batteries going bad?

I haven't heard any complaints about the internal battery going bad (they're new) but, batteries do wear out. I figure you have three years warranty protection on that internal battery. If it wears out send the Thermion in for a warranty battery replacement. With that said the Trail does have the battery advantage and Pulsar just came out with even longer lasting batteries for the Trail.

One of the best improvements the Thermion has over the Trail is the screen you view. Everything looks much larger, it's a big difference.

Plus the FOV remained the same, but the Thermion went to 2x base mag from the Trails 1.6 base mag.

Oh and one thing nobody talks about is the Thermion NUCS much, much faster then the Trail.

Originally Posted By: capitolI haven't heard any complaints about the internal battery going bad (they're new) but, batteries do wear out. I figure you have three years warranty protection on that internal battery. If it wears out send the Thermion in for a warranty battery replacement. With that said the Trail does have the battery advantage and Pulsar just came out with even longer lasting batteries for the Trail.

One of the best improvements the Thermion has over the Trail is the screen you view. Everything looks much larger, it's a big difference.

Plus the FOV remained the same, but the Thermion went to 2x base mag from the Trails 1.6 base mag.

Oh and one thing nobody talks about is the Thermion NUCS much, much faster then the Trail.

Do you have a thermion or experience with one? It is tempting.

Originally Posted By: capitolI have both the Trail XP50 and the Thermion XP50.

I will be selling the Trail XP50 soon.

How much time are you seeing on fully charged batteries? Thank you. Nice to be able to pick your brain.

I've never drained the internal battery down very far because I always remove the secondary battery and replace it when drained. I have started to drain the internal battery though and I dont think it would last much past 3 hours.

The secondary battery doesn't last long. I'd say I get 2 hours in 30 degree temps max. I use the APS2 battery as my secondary because I run a Radius range finder on top of the Thermion and the APS3 is just a tad too tall.

I think if you run an APS3 battery as your secondary and use the APs2 battery as a back up you can easily hunt all night long.

Originally Posted By: case-nhMight want to mention that you can't get the Thermion with LRF.

But you can get the Trail XP50 LRF

Last edited:
Thanks. Not sure why they wouldn’t ship it with the AS3 to start.

Originally Posted By: capitolI've never drained the internal battery down very far because I always remove the secondary battery and replace it when drained. I have started to drain the internal battery though and I dont think it would last much past 3 hours.

The secondary battery doesn't last long. I'd say I get 2 hours in 30 degree temps max. I use the APS2 battery as my secondary because I run a Radius range finder on top of the Thermion and the APS3 is just a tad too tall.

I think if you run an APS3 battery as your secondary and use the APs2 battery as a back up you can easily hunt all night long.

Back