Predator decoy. What's the best rabbit type decoy for a newbie

My brother had a decoy that we used for abit. Besides being extra garbage to pack out it caused the coyotes to hang up around 200 yards or charge through the set.
If you watch most of the show's using them, the coyotes are charging through the scene.

I've had great luck with decoys, yes a few will charge through the set BUT I shoot combo guns and the shotgun takes care of those. Hunting coyotes in heavier cover they tend to focus on the decoy and I can get away with stuff that would have ruined the stand. Then there is the coyote that looks/stares at me and get distracted by the decoy enough for me to shoot him or the one that catches my wind and heads out but just has to stop and look back and stare for awhile.

I started with a Decoy Heart and have tried quite a few different ones and surprisingly they all work for me. Some are easier to carry and set up. The ones attached to the caller are useless for me as I think they need to be seen from a distance.

The fun ones are the ones that leap up into the bush and try and grab the decoy, or sit right under it and stare up at it, I think they are waiting for it to fall out of the bush.

Get them off the ground unless you are in wide open spaces, a coyote coming around the corner face to face with a spinning decoy will skedaddle right now.

Last edited:
I have had mixed results with decoys. The first problem with them is that guys get lazy with their stand set up. Usually, by the time a decoy would come into play, the predator should be on the ground.

I have also seen predators spook at the sight of them.

That being said, I have found certain stand set ups where a decoy can work. Recently I started working in an area where it is a bit more open and I have had some coyotes hang up. Having a decoy that I can control has worked to break them loose. They don't charge it but they seem to try to get a better view and that gives me more opportunities to get shots on them.

I run the FoxPro Jack jr. because I can control it with my FoxPro E-Callers. I find that they are as quiet as any other decoy. I also like the Mojo Critter, the original. But you can't control it.

I like decoys,however they pull in lots of undesirables,raptors being the worst,then feral,cats,dogs,but other than that i"ve had good success,any will do the job.

Originally Posted By: AWSI've had great luck with decoys, yes a few will charge through the set BUT I shoot combo guns and the shotgun takes care of those. Hunting coyotes in heavier cover they tend to focus on the decoy and I can get away with stuff that would have ruined the stand. Then there is the coyote that looks/stares at me and get distracted by the decoy enough for me to shoot him or the one that catches my wind and heads out but just has to stop and look back and stare for awhile.

I started with a Decoy Heart and have tried quite a few different ones and surprisingly they all work for me. Some are easier to carry and set up. The ones attached to the caller are useless for me as I think they need to be seen from a distance.

The fun ones are the ones that leap up into the bush and try and grab the decoy, or sit right under it and stare up at it, I think they are waiting for it to fall out of the bush.

Get them off the ground unless you are in wide open spaces, a coyote coming around the corner face to face with a spinning decoy will skedaddle right now.

I agree with AWS. With the exception that the ones on ecallers are useless. I have a Foxpro Fusion with the Foxjack decoy. I agree it helps tremendously to get the decoy higher. My fix to that is putting my Fusion on a very lite weight tripod that can get the base of the caller at least 12” off the ground. That gets the topper on my decoy about 2’ off the ground. I’ve also hung my caller in a small tree by putting a small limb through the handle of the caller. You just have to make sure to break and twigs away from the topper so it want hang up on one. Killed a fox sitting directly under my caller looking up at the decoy using this method last week.

Any of the spinning decoys with their own battery pack can be rewired with an extended leade and use the auxiliary port that is just a on/off switch and doesn't supply power. Fox Pro used to sell a cord to go from your FP decoy to the caller.

I tried it that way quite awhile ago and saw no difference in that and just leaving it on.

Surprisingly the noise a decoy makes doesn't seem to make a lot of difference either, I have an old one that sounded like bad gears in a transmission and worked fine, it was an early one on a spring and a rotating eccentric weight caused it to wobble. Some of the whirling wing decoys make a lot of sound and work well.

I think I can save you some money here. If the animal is close enough to see a decoy you should have killed it already. Yup at some spiecal times they will maybe help but a good rifle will get them coyotes long before they see a decoy. An old timer told me a long time ago. " if he's close enough to shoot with a shot gun he's close enough for a rifle".

Back