Red for scanning and NV scope does it defeat purpose?

jbo225

I recently got the Sightmark wraith and took it out the other night and used it for scanning and killing but that's just to much using it for both. Don't use a trip pod only bi bog. But could I use a red light still for scanning and use NV for killing or is the red just defeating the purpose? Would like to have a handheld thermal but definitely not going in the budget at this time.

A buddy and I tried that when we first got our Wraiths. We killed 3 coyotes in 2 nites ( in Md no less). It's not the best setup but why not give it a try while saving for a scanner. It beats sitting home.

Originally Posted By: jbo225I recently got the Sightmark wraith and took it out the other night and used it for scanning and killing but that's just to much using it for both. Don't use a trip pod only bi bog. But could I use a red light still for scanning and use NV for killing or is the red just defeating the purpose? Would like to have a handheld thermal but definitely not going in the budget at this time.

You can only do what you can afford. Why not do what you can afford, as opposed to sitting home? There are people on here who kill with lights.

I scan all the time with red lights while driving remote roads. Killed a bobcat a month ago that way. Being spotlighted didn't bother it a bit.

What I've learned about predator hunting is that different tactics/equipment work on different animals. Kill the ones that will fall for your tactics/setups and improve equipment/tactics as you can.

Back