Ole coyote #48

Snowshoes

Yesterday was a day of high winds and no coyotes. I tried calling in a couple sheltered spots but never seen a coyote.
Today the wind had subsided but my first two stands never produced anything.
Third stand was a deep ravine where I have harvested a few coyotes in past years.
I set up on the edge of a slough bottom north of the ravine. I have trees and tall grass at my back and feel well hidden.

I start off with cottontail distress using a closed reed hand call.
Waited 3 or 4 minutes before repeating and within a half minute I see a coyote peaking from the edge of the ravine. It doesn’t budge after a few more squawks on the call and doesn’t seem to want to venture into the field.
I try lip squeaks which gets the coyote on the move but it sticks to the edge of the ravine. Cautiously the coyote comes closer and when it is in full view, it kindly stops to take a look. I have the cross hairs on its chest, then send a 64 gr. Berger from the 223AI on its way. Down goes coyote # 48 ( A nice big male shot at 166 yards)

Last edited:
WTG, I'm guessing since it came in cautiously it might have been called before and I'm guessing it was trying to get down wind of you. But congrats on another down. You shoot 52 out of the 223 and 64 out of the 223AI. I would of thought the same. And I'm guessing they are HP.

Originally Posted By: lockrotorWTG, I'm guessing since it came in cautiously it might have been called before and I'm guessing it was trying to get down wind of you. But congrats on another down. You shoot 52 out of the 223 and 64 out of the 223AI. I would of thought the same. And I'm guessing they are HP.

I also wondered if this coyote and I ( or someone else) have played this game before. It was very reluctant to commit.

You are correct lockrotor, I shoot Berger 52 gr H.P. Varmint bullets out of the 223 and Berger 64 gr. HP Varmint bullets out of the 223AI.
Both Cooper rifles have 1-12" twist.

Originally Posted By: Yotarunnerits always satisfying to fool those old call shy dogs. good job and good shooting!
Kind of helps make up for all the times they out tricked me
wink.gif

Back