The Hide while night calling

isu22yote

How much are you guys getting away with at night calling and standing while hunting ? It seems like I stick out like a soar thumb , I had 2 groups of yotes hang up and im wondering if I shouldnt be tucking in the trees ? I usually use something so Im not skylined, but with a tripod you have to spin around and an AR 15 its not exactly easy like tucking up in a terrace or fenceline. Do you guys wear black or what kinda camo ? Any advice.

Personally I wear lite greys or tans. Faded carhartt colors. Solid darks usually stick out bad. Coyotes definitely see well at night but I think movement gives u away more than the colors. Ur best bet is to probably by a good hand held scanner

Last edited:
I've noticed when it's new moon dark it's a lot more forgiving. Once it gets to about half moonlight it gets pretty tough. Catdog is spot on with movement. I also try to hid the ride, it seems to make a difference. I keep thinking going to a sitting position would be a smart move but can never bring myself to do it.

You get by with more at night, and as others have said, the brighter the moon, the less you get away with. I still try to use good day tactics at night including hiding your truck and your calling position. It is not always necessary, but better safe than sorry.

If there's no moon coyotes don't see well at all and you can get away with a lot. We have walked right up to them and killed them with no moon.
We had one come in last night on the half moon while we were standing in bean stubble. He got to about 150 look right, saw us it's instantly and turned around and hauled azz. We warmed the gun barrels up on that one but I think he still might be running. We set up on him perfect to give him the wind yet he still came in from directly upwind. Just when you think you've got things figured out poof there he is.....gone. If we would have stayed at the truck he would have came right to us.

Last edited:
We sat in the shade of a [beeep] thorn tree last night , but had one run in to@30 yds where I picked him up in the scope. Bud didn’t see him in the scanner cause he was so clos till the second shot and I got him on the third. Running a nemesis and didn’t need ir the last few nights.

Originally Posted By: isu22yoteHow much are you guys getting away with at night calling and standing while hunting ? It seems like I stick out like a soar thumb , I had 2 groups of yotes hang up and im wondering if I shouldnt be tucking in the trees ? I usually use something so Im not skylined, but with a tripod you have to spin around and an AR 15 its not exactly easy like tucking up in a terrace or fenceline. Do you guys wear black or what kinda camo ? Any advice.

Are you using lights, NV, or thermals?

We usually try to hide in the shadows or tree lines on brighter nights. Actually, we always try to find some sort of cover when available regardless of how bright it is. When using NV with IR lights we try and be disciplined on keeping the hot spot directly off the critters. We also still try to minimize as much movement as possible. We wear regular camo, and are standing with tripods.

I think you can get away with more at night, but we still try and be as stealthy as possible.

If there is no moonlight, I have stood in the middle of fields/pastures with no cover and called them right in to me. When there is first quarter to full moon phase, I always use brush, rock pile, or bale stacks behind me to break up my profile. The key is to not move very much when there as there is more light from the moon. When I hunt at night, I am always standing using a tripod.

Originally Posted By: wherdog When I hunt at night, I am always standing using a tripod. P&Y said the same thing. I know I am probably in the minority but I sit on virtually all my stands, day and night.

The 4 main reasons, are:
#1 Stability: I don't care how good of a tripod setup you have, it will never be as steady the further you extend the legs.

#2 Hard on the body: As I get older, the longer I stand, the harder it is on my back, legs, etc.

#3 It's colder: This may sound silly but the first time I tried standing for night hunting, I was so surprised how much colder it is. I hunt ND with frozen ground and snow, but it still is warmer sitting down (at least when using something under your butt).

#4: Less noticeable movement/concealment: I realize a hunter gets by with a lot more movement at night vs the daytime, but sitting offers a lot more concealment.

As far as standing, I totally get why people do it. It is easier to see 360 degrees and you can move left or right much easier. I took the time to explain why I sit because I don't believe it is probably the norm for night hunting.

Originally Posted By: KirschOriginally Posted By: wherdog When I hunt at night, I am always standing using a tripod. P&Y said the same thing. I know I am probably in the minority but I sit on virtually all my stands, day and night.

The 4 main reasons, are:
#1 Stability: I don't care how good of a tripod setup you have, it will never be as steady the further you extend the legs.

#2 Hard on the body: As I get older, the longer I stand, the harder it is on my back, legs, etc.

#3 It's colder: This may sound silly but the first time I tried standing for night hunting, I was so surprised how much colder it is. I hunt ND with frozen ground and snow, but it still is warmer sitting down (at least when using something under your butt).

#4: Less noticeable movement/concealment: I realize a hunter gets by with a lot more movement at night vs the daytime, but sitting offers a lot more concealment.

As far as standing, I totally get why people do it. It is easier to see 360 degrees and you can move left or right much easier. I took the time to explain why I sit because I don't believe it is probably the norm for night hunting.

I don't know about #3, I'm in Va. and it does not get nearly as cold here as it does where you are.

I agree with #2 and #4.

As far as #1, stability, goes... with cheap Chinese tripods and heads I agree, but with a high quality tripod and a direct mount it is just about like shooting off of a rest.
Plus being able to shoot without re positioning is a big plus.

The only time that I sit now is when the moon is bright and I can't find a spot to hide with the tripod. And mostly I skip those spots until the moon gets better.

I agree with Kirsch. It feels like the darkness lets you get away with more than it does. Standing often gives you a better view, but sitting just like you "always" do in daylight offers a lot of advantages when calling predators.

Night hunting over bait or a feeder for pigs etc or anticipating shooting at a herd of fleeing pigs in open fields is different than calling predators.

Originally Posted By: 1trkyhntrAs far as #1, stability, goes... with cheap Chinese tripods and heads I agree, but with a high quality tripod and a direct mount it is just about like shooting off of a rest.
If tripods are so great, then why are there so many poor shots and spinners and runners posted on YouTube when the shooter has a tripod and often large caliber rifle like 6.5 etc? Lots and lots of "bad" shots for such a "stable" tripod platform. Seems the thermal/NV trend is to use a bigger gun to compensate for... something.

I like to stand when I'm hunting at night for greater visibility but I think on brighter nights I may compromise and start sitting on a stool.

I posted my preference and reasons why I sit, not to start a debate, but just to make sure people are thinking it through and not just laying, sitting or standing because that is how it is supposed to be done. If I am stalking a family of racoons in an open field, I do stand when I shoot and on rare occasions, I lay prone on some coyote hunting stands. For daytime hunting, I wish my back would still allow me to lay prone more.

Use what works for you.

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGOriginally Posted By: 1trkyhntrAs far as #1, stability, goes... with cheap Chinese tripods and heads I agree, but with a high quality tripod and a direct mount it is just about like shooting off of a rest.
If tripods are so great, then why are there so many poor shots and spinners and runners posted on YouTube when the shooter has a tripod and often large caliber rifle like 6.5 etc? Lots and lots of "bad" shots for such a "stable" tripod platform. Seems the thermal/NV trend is to use a bigger gun to compensate for... something.
Because many shots are rushed plain and simple. With that said no doubt sitting with cross sticks is pretty dang stable but I can't image not being able to scan 360 like standing allows. How does your tripod go that low?
Here a coyote will be in on you and gone if he doesn't come in in front of you if standing. Most of the time both of us try to coordinate our first shot on doubles and even on singles. It's tough to do while trying to keep track of multiple coyotes coming in. You live in that scope display. It's another reason I push ample fov. Quality ballheads and pods are worth the extra expense imo. Flimsy pods or pods that are so short that the center stem has to come up much is not good. I'm 6'3" so if I get in soft ground the pod sinks enough I have to raise the stem. I also ran a hog saddle for extra height but I'm actually switching to a direct mlok mount tonight. The hog saddle also allows me to get my gun farther forward to better balance it.

Last edited:
Sitting allows about 300 degrees of comfortable scanning (if you have a scanner). The last 60 (directly behind you) is a little tougher but this is where the truck is and rarely is where a coyote comes from due to how we setup. As far as how can the tripod go low enough, not sure what you mean as it will go prone if necessary. I don’t have the center column on my Night Stalker, so mine is even lower than this now, but just an example.

night_setup.jpg

If a person is scanning with their rifle, then standing would almost be a requirement unless not covering a large area. If doing this, you are looking through a rifle scope for 20+ minutes straight, and I'm not a fan of potentially sweeping a gun towards another hunter if you have more than one person shooting.

My call placement, based on wind direction as well as where a coyote will most likely approach, is all factored into the set up. Does a coyote come from the side once in awhile, yes, but as long as they don't come in from directly behind my chair, I am just as likely to see them as I am if they are in front of me.

Again, I am not saying people shouldn't stand while coyote hunting, just not my preference. That is all it is, a preference.

What about hunting a chisel plowed ag field with a fresh coat chit spread on it lol. We get into that as well. Most open places here are worked up muddy fields not ideal to sit in but I agree sitting would be very stable if the terrain allows. We've tried kneeling and that's no comfy at all. I've experimented a lot with getting my rifle balanced with barrel contour and radius placement etc. Many spots when coyote emerges he is already in range.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223What about hunting a chisel plowed ag field with a fresh coat chit spread on it lol. We get into that as well. Most open places here are worked up muddy fields not ideal to sit in but I agree sitting would be very stable if the terrain allows. We've tried kneeling and that's no comfy at all. I've experimented a lot with getting my rifle balanced with barrel contour and radius placement etc. Many spots when coyote emerges he is already in range. Every terrain is different. I wish I had to worry about a freshly plowed field. Instead I’m having to deal with 4+ feet of snow. Sometimes I really wonder why I live on the frozen tundra. I don’t mind the cold, but I hate the snow.

You are right though, there are some situations were sitting may not work at all such as in tall cover or you don’t want to sit in manure, mud, water, etc.

Sometimes we sit, sometimes we stand depending on whether we can see adequately when seated. I usually hunt with a buddy, so we can scan 360 seated, but yes, you can scan more area standing. We kill coyotes standing, but in all honesty, I just don't believe it is possible to be as steady standing as it is seated because you have that anchor point (at least I do)of your knee, elbow, and shoulder locked in.

I prefer to sit, but stand when necessary, but we try to hide only on bright moon nights. I'd say whatever someone feels the most confidence in is what they should do, but be willing to try other ideas. This year, most of the corn crop didn't get mowed or plowed and cornstalks were causing us to stand to have any chance at all. Once the beans were picked we were again able to sit in a lot of fields. Both worked okay, but neither was foolproof. At 73, my legs get a little tired standing at times on long stands.

We hunt a decent amount of set aside ground, scrub brush, and thickets. Standing offers a much better field of view.

I agree that sitting offers better concealment and is more comfortable. I would also agree that I'm more steady in a seated position when static shooting. If and when I take moving shots, I'm more accurate standing with a nice saddle style tripod. Especially when swinging to my offside. There is definitely more readjusting for me when in a seated position.

Back