Fur buyers in Utah

vlyoter

I am new to predator hunting, just really got into it this past fall. I have killed 2 very good looking Bobcats and 6 Coyotes, but don't where to sell the hides. Is there anyone who buys the bobcats without skinning, I currently have them frozen

Go on over to All Predator Calls.com and pick up a copy of "Hunting and Skinning for Profit" from Blaine Eddy. It isn't a "Holywood" production but the content is worth many times the cost. Especially if you already have animals to put up.

There is a fur buyer in Grand Junction, CO that is taking fur right now. He used to take bobcat in the carcass, but I'll ask him tomorrow if he still does. I know he wants them sealed before he'll take them.

Where in NE Utah are you? Grand Junction isn't real far from Vernal, 2-3 hours depending on weather and truck traffic over Douglas Pass.

Just go to the local DWR office in your area they keep a record of all current Fur Buyers in the whole state.

We have to record all green pelts with them when they sell to others, or if we ship them out of state, example for tanning.

We also have to supply a record of all pelts bought during the season and year.

Nope I'm not buying any this season. Building a new home and it's taking all of my time! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Sorry have to disagree with your assesment of Montgomery, I believe he grades smartly, not hard!!

You don't stay in a fur business as long as he has without knowing how to grade fur. Besides many people just do not have any idea what fur is worth and always expect top prices from reading reports(usually always off due to print deadlines) or talking with others who usually only give a single price instead of an average overall.

He also grades for selling his fur and not manufacturing as I do as a end user, quite a difference in the quote of price.

He is a swell guy and will give you a fair price!!

If you have the time you should invest in a trip to the Utah Trappers Auction in Feb. as you can get first hand info on many different kinds of buyers there!

I've been selling fur to Terry for somewhere around 17 years, so I don't really think I'm judging him harshly ! And I agree, the UTA Auction is your best bet for good prices as there are MORE buyers present to grade your fur and offer you a price for them !

UtahDogger, fine enough, I've known Terry for longer than that and he does grade smartly. You may see that as tough, obviously your content with his prices or you would not continue to sell to him.

Go take some Cats to Steel down south if you want to see a tough grade, he knows his cats and is one of the best cat graders I've seen!!

Demand and supply always has a great affect on the fur prices, and right now cats even ugly's will get a tough grade, it's surprising what southern and flats have been receiving the last few years just because of the demand.

Yes thats a true view for sure IF thats the only way you want to sell your fur!!

There are the association auctions, there are the NAFA auctions and there are selling to taxidermists, though to be honest these all are a waiting game.

Probably the best bet for any kind of real money if you have the time to wait for it is the Association auctions.

Utah Trappers always has a great auction and it's always been higher than most of the NAFA auctions with your money coming to you much quicker than either of the other.

Though the Taxidermy market early on is usually a great way to move oddballs or premium demand critters, however the last few seasons it's been more of a buyers market than a sellers market due to over supply. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

terry has been retired for years,his grandson runs it now. I have sold to him for over fourty years. if I don't like the price it I take them to ely or nephi.

If someone helps you put the fur up, the Colorado trappers assossiation. Fur auction is coming up Feb 5. Well done fur brings excellent prices there, open to fur from any state.

Hef-A

Last edited:
Back