Hogster-R 35mm Coyote Video

Thanks for that explanation, K.
I typically scan continuously when calling so covering a wide FOV with a scanner is more efficient to me. Perhaps I'd get used to the narrower fov of the Hogster. There are times that I wish I had a little longer detection range than my Quantum. I'm used to going to the rifle to confirm the target but I suppose it'd be nice to know before looking through the gun mounted scope.
Thanks for sharing your experiences with us.

Totally agree. There are some areas where I do really wish I had a bit more FOV. One of those times is when I am hunting in really hilly areas, where the entire hill isn't covered in my FOV, it is a pain to have to scan horizontally and vertically.

I also scan continuously. The bigger the FOV, the less movement necessary and the larger the view and better chance of not having one sneak in. For every terrain, there gets to be a point where too much FOV is no longer an advantage.

For those who've used the Hogster 35mm, what do you think is the average detection range on coyotes? Not so much ID but enough to tell me I'd better pay attention.

600-800 yards shouldn’t be much of an issue. Terrain and humidity play a big part but in the comparison video, the 200 yard video shows a semi at 1.7 miles with the 35mm and a truck very plainly at well over 1000.

Could you shoot coyotes at 200 yards with it? We have pressured coyotes around here so shoots are usually 150-230 ish. I had a rxq30v and sold it because it just didn't quite have enough. I have been running a Nemesis but I want to go back to thermal. This scope is definitely interesting but the videos make it seem like it may not be a 200 yard shooting scope on a coyote.

With PIP turned on or the scope on 2 times base (4x), it should be fine. The image is very similar to a Trail XQ38 and I made lots of 200+ yard shots with that.

Tag for any more vidoes if you have any Kirsch.

I'm impressed with the video image in the high humidity.

Its 100% humidity down here in my neck of the woods for the last 3 days. My FLIR scanner is not useless, but pretty close. It still picks up critters, but they're just a blob and the background looks like a foggy cloud and even trees are darn near impossible to see.

Originally Posted By: Burnsome...Tag for any more vidoes if you have any Kirsch.

I'm impressed with the video image in the high humidity.

Its 100% humidity down here in my neck of the woods for the last 3 days. My FLIR scanner is not useless, but pretty close. It still picks up critters, but they're just a blob and the background looks like a foggy cloud and even trees are darn near impossible to see. The issue I have is my hunting partner does not have a scanner. Once I offered him the Hogster-R as a scanner, he is hooked. Unless I go by myself, I probably won't get any video with it for awhile.
thumbup.gif

We were out for awhile last night. I can say on several occasions he was able to spot a coyote with the Hogster-R 35mm that I could not see with my Pulsar Helion XP38. It wasn't long after he would say it that I could make it out. The image isn't quiet as good being a 384 vs 640, but it was better at detection, and the image wasn't far behind. The XP38 has a 1.9x base vs the Hogster 35mm's 2.0x so it isn't like there is a big magnification difference. This little thermal continues to impress.

Back