Sierra Gameking 22 Cal 55 gr

Lodgepole

I want to use the bullet that is best suited for the larger predators and hogs . My 22-250 is 24 in factory Rem barrel and I think is 1 in 12 twist. The Sierra book list the heaviest Game King as 55 Gr # 1365 & # 1390. I think the heavier ones are not suitable for my rifle .I have not tried the above bullets yet but I do have both on hand .If they group similar which would be the tougher of the two for penetration .Mainly for Coyotes but there is a good number of Wolves in my area.If you have experience with these bullets I would love to hear about it !

I haven't used the hollow point but the soft point would be fine for coyote or wolf. I used them in a 220 swift with great success. They will almost always exit a coyote with about a quarter sized hole. I used them for antelope one year shot a buck at 440 yards and bullet was just under the skin on the off side.
My buddy uses the 65 gr sgk in a 22-250 1-14 twist Remington for coyotes and doesn't seem to have any problem with stabilization. Usually higher elevation will allow you to use a little longer bullet than the twist is designed for.

The Sierra 55gr HPBT has a real blunt ogive. SAMI COAL is 2.240 (in 223 REM) revised to 2.200 in the new manual.

Some chambers you will be jamming into the lands at SAMI length. The #1390 also has a terrible B.C. .185 i believe?

It does however tolerate jump with ease and shoots excellent. I use it in .223 Rem and it works great.

Don't overlook the 55gr Speer Gold Dot.

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/i...llets-100-count

Varget will be your friend with the 55g!!!

55g Speer gold dot is a bonded core bullet and great for larger animals.

I would go with the sierras for coyotes.

Your remington is a 14 twist, not a 12 twist, and it will stabalize the 63g sierra and 60g Sierra hp, not many other bullets in this weight range will stabalize, certainly not the 60g V max or 60g Berger.

55g Sierra Spt is a great bullet for hogs and so is the 55g hornady SP.

Your barrel will tell you what it is going to like.

Since you are talking wolves and hogs, the Speer 55g Gold dot is a great place to start.

There is some very useful info above and thank you all for that ackleyman ,I stand corrected on that twist rate ! I am a bit of a "stick to one brand guy " on the Sierras probably because they seem to work in the past .I have heard often of the speer gold dot and I do think I will see how the shoot .I did not realize that I might be able to use heavier bullets than the 55s although 60 and 63 are advertised as Varminters and I thought they might have lighter jackets .Idaho I do have a few of the 65 gr ,those seem to be scarce in my area .arlaunch you have been very helpful on this post and another I made regarding ARs .Thanks to you all

65g Sierra will not stabalize in your 14T. It is not about the bullet weight, it is about the length of the bullet and the amount of bearing surface on that bullet.

Rem 700 -22/250's have 14T

bullets that will not stabalize or marginal at best

53g Vmax60g V max
55g Sierra Blitz king
65g Sierra BTSP
60g Berger is marginal at best at warp speed

Bullets that will stabalize in the Rem 700 -0 14T

All other Sierra 55g bullets
60g Sierra HP
63g Sierra semi point
All bullets of 40-50g weights, Barnes are the exception

If you shoot the heavier bullets in a 14 twist I have found that the faster you push them the more stable they are.YMMV

If you shoot the heavier bullets in a 14 twist I have found that the faster you push them the more stable they are.YMMV

I shoot a 220 Swift in the Remington 700 VSSF and it is also a 1:14 twist. I have shot many bullets and weights since starting with the Swift in the late 1970's.

I am down to pretty much shooting two bullets now and one of them, which is also my main bullet is the Sierra Game King 55gr HPBT (#1390). This bullet performs fabulously on coyotes with rarely even an exit hole. I am shooting it at 3860 fps using IMR 4064 so it is not a load I would consider hot for this caliber. When working up this load I was more interested in accuracy than speed and I can cover 10 shots with a quarter at 100 yards, which is accurate enough for me when hunting varmints.

I know you have a 22-250 but they are close enough that I wanted to give you my experience with them. I have also loaded the same bullet for a friend who has a 22-250 and it works very well for him as well.

Originally Posted By: ackleyman
All bullets of 40-50g weights, Barnes are the exception

Ackleyman, I know Barnes does not recommend any of the 22 caliber TTSX bullets for anything slower than 1:12 twist but in the TSX line, I believe, if I remember right, that the 45 and 50 gr TSX bullets will stabilize in 1:14 but not the 53 gr or heavier.
Have you found that not to be the case?

Yes sir, that Sierra 55 gr SP is also my favorite. Accurate and just plain does the job nicely. A number of successful coyote hunters over the years used that bullet with best results.

Back