204 Ruger any good for yotes??

bearclaw46

Just bought an e caller (Lucky Duck Revolt), now for a good caliber for coyotes. Will the 204 Ruger get the job done?? I'm a reloader but have had this 1st year production Ruger 77 in 204 Ruger for years as a safe queen. I've never hunted coyote's so am interested in utilizing this rifle. Anybody use the 204 and reload for it??

I used to have a CZ 527 Varmint model 204 and about a year ago sold it to a buddy of mine that has been using it as his "go to" yote gun ever since. He's been shooting the factory Hornady 32gr Superformance ammo and they seem to not only shoot well but he's been stacking them up pretty well too.

A lot of guys really like the 35gr Berger for coyotes so if you reload, those Berger 35 grainers would be a good choice.

Last edited:
Thx guys. Looks like I'll have to make sure it's sighted in. Have had this thing since the caliber came out and probably lucky to have 25 rounds through it lol.

204 is a great yote gun! I use 35gr Berger HP for great accuracy and success on downing yotes.

My load is:
Winchester Brass
35gr Berger HPs
REM 7 1/2 Primers
H4895 Powder

The last coyote I shot was with a T/C Compass .204. 40 grain factory Hornady practically decapitated it. 90yds.

Develop your favorite load and go hunt, it will do it. Put'em a little behind and slightly above their shoulder in the ribs, bang flop.

Last edited:
204 is a great choice. I’ve had 2 204’s and currently a 20 tac (very similar). If you aren’t worried about pelt damage i loved the 39gr blitzkings. I’ve recently switched to 35gr Bergers as I’m looking at saving the pelts. The best powder I’ve found in all 3 rifles is imr 8208xbr

Originally Posted By: Matt_3479204 is a great choice. I’ve had 2 204’s and currently a 20 tac (very similar). If you aren’t worried about pelt damage i loved the 39gr blitzkings. I’ve recently switched to 35gr Bergers as I’m looking at saving the pelts. The best powder I’ve found in all 3 rifles is imr 8208xbr

This is good advice.
With the 35gr. Berger, pushing the 28gr. powder weight with either H4895 or IMR8208 was the sweet spot in my 204's, but IMR8208 had the accuracy edge.
I would also try the 37gr.hp from Blackhole bullets. I've shot many with the 37gr. CRT bullet which is no longer made and Blaine tried to match the CRT bullet with his. Not saying they are ideal for saving pelts as I don't have any experience with them. I plan on changing that this season. I know they are just as accurate as the CRT's were in my 204's.

I love my 204 for coyotes, it’s all I use besides the shotgun for hard chargers. I load 39 gr. Blitz kings with IMR8208 for a load that’s 1/2 Moa, and every dog it’s thumped has been dumped right there!

I have been shooting the 220 Swift since the late 70's and love the caliber. I also shoot a 17 Remington and have a few other varmint calibers in the stable but those are my two "go to" rifles for me.
Having said that, if I was not so invested in what I already have and was starting over to pick a small varmint caliber to go with, I would pick the 204 in a heart beat.

The 204 is my coyote rifle. I have a 223 and 22-250. I have used the 32 gr. Noslers until I had a facing shot and coyote took the hit and ran. ( Second shot didn't make it too far) The 32 blew up before it entered the chest cavity. On side shots you get one hole in and a dead coyote. I use the 40 gr. Noslers now. A person could sew up the exit hole with 2 stitches. They just tip over with this bullet. I run it around 4000 FPS. and groups really well in my Howa Mini. Rudy

My Savage 12fv loves 32 grain Vmax and the Sierra accuracy load of 27.3 grains of Benchmark. Single holes are the norm. 28 grains is the hunting load and its still very tight.

Back