4 coyote morning (39-42)

Snowshoes

Before heading home yesterday morning,I made a quick loop around the slough where I shot the 5 coyotes less than a week ago ( one coyote in the morning and four in the evening). Noticing some good coyote trails in the fresh snow, I had a good idea where I would be heading this morning.
After parking the truck, I hike to a spot where the majority of trails converged into the slough bottom. Not much of a view as the furthest I could see was just a little over 200 yards due to the rolling hills. Combine that and the southeast direction the trails were coming from which would have me staring into the sun could be an issue.

After getting settled in, there in-fact is clear skies to the southeast. Knowing when those sun rays broke over the hills, my morning hunt would likely be finished so I hoped for the best.
Fifteen minutes later, I see my first coyote. Its on the run and only stops briefly on a hill top to look back, then on the run again. As the coyote closed the distance, I barked and howled but it wasn’t stopping. I could tell it was a pup by its size and a shotgun would have been a good option as it passed 20 yards from me.
Within a half minute I see two coyotes traveling on the same trail as the first which likely were the ones who put the fear into that pup.
They were coming directly towards me but then they cut north so I howl to stop them. The cross hairs are placed on the lead coyote and I send a bullet harmlessly on its way. Chamber another round and with a vocal howl the rear coyote stops, this time I make the shot count. ( Looking back to the bush where I was set up at) Later ranged the shot at 152 yards.

Even after two shots fired, the lead coyote was still in view but further out. This time when I sent a bullet its way, it found its mark. Coyote number two down.
Roughly ten minutes later I have a third coyote come into view and this one is almost in the same spot where I dropped the second coyote. This new arrival either caught the scent or seen the other coyote as it comes to a sudden stop. It turns and start to trot away but with a vocal bark, it stops once again. I have the cross hairs on it and with a touch of the trigger, down goes coyote number three.
The closest coyote in the picture was the third one shot ( 190 yards) the second coyote was 184 yards.

A couple minutes later the sun had fully cleared the hills and I was basically blinded by the early morning sun rays. Packed up and started the walk back to get the truck. I walked a 100 yards when I notice another coyote coming from the same direction as the first three. Out of habit, I automatically drop to my knees but the coyote had me pegged and took off to the north. Got back up and continued my own journey north when I see the coyote again. This time its not standing directly into the sun which is a bonus but it’s a fair ways out there. I never had time to range the distance so just raised the cross hairs some and touched off a shot.
Very much to my surprise, the coyote drops in its tracks. I take a range on the distance and it was 291 yards which is the furthest for the 223 this season.

A group photo of the four together.

Not a bad area, having shot 9 coyotes here in less than a week.
Seen another coyote in the field as I drove in to pick up the four.

Snowshoes, you'd have to try hard to take a bad picture in that gorgeous country. Great pictures of nice coyotes. Nothing like fur on snow. Thanks for posting.

Originally Posted By: luderNice shooting.....

Thank you luder, Shooting on a calm day is always enjoyable
Originally Posted By: Possumal57Snowshoes, you'd have to try hard to take a bad picture in that gorgeous country. Great pictures of nice coyotes. Nothing like fur on snow. Thanks for posting.
Thank you Possumal57, I agree, fur on snow is great!

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpAwesome! Great story description and pictures, thanks for posting.
Thank you DoubleUp
Originally Posted By: YotarunnerAwesome job. That's quite the spot you have there!
I think I may need to let that spot replenish now
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: UncleHef-A.Well done.
All tight yet, no rubbing?

Hef-A
Thank you, and the fur is still good

Originally Posted By: todbartellYou're proving thst coyotes can thrive in an area with heavy hunting pressure and harvest! Unreal
I keep trying to thin out the numbers but it seems to be an ongoing mission
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: P&YAwesome, just awesome!
My thoughts also, when the shooting was done!
smile.gif

Back