Rem 700 Hvy Barrel

Originally Posted By: B23Originally Posted By: Winny FanIIRC, the BDL Varmint Special rifles had 24" barrels that were about .810" at the muzzle.

Maybe we're talking about two different Remington BDL Varmint Special models, but all the VS's I've been around were 24 inches long but had a much larger barrel contour than the standard Varmint or Sendero type contour. They were more like a M24 or MTU contour and were .900+ with very little taper, in fact almost no taper.

Just a standard Rem Varmint contour is .820 at the muzzle.

I contacted a friend who I knew had a pristine Model 700 BDL Varmint Special chambered in 22-250 Remington. It has skip line checkering so it is a later model rifle. He just sent me an email.

His Varmint Special barrel measures ~1.250" at the chamber, and it tapers down to "just smaller than .820", between 0.816-17" "(his words) at the muzzle based on a quick check with calipers with the rifle left in the stock. No where does the rifle say "Varmint Special" on it. My statement of .810" was relying purely on my 30 year old memory of the rifles.

I looked through my stuff to see if I still had one of the scope blocks that I removed from my rifles, but I could not find one to take a picture of.

Edited:

This link has information in the 16th post RE the M40 barrel profile. I don't now if he is 100% correct or not but it does follow my recollections of the original M40 barrel. Later M40A1 and A3 rifles had a slightly different contour to them as he mentioned in his post. The link also contains a bit of information about variances in the Remington Varmint contour. Quien sabe?

https://forum.snipershide.com/threads/m40-barrel-contour.154417/

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Winny Fan

I don't remember if they were stamped "Varmint Special" anywhere , but that is what they were called in Remington literature and in common discussions in gun wrags at the time, and they were housed in a BDL stock with a black fore end tip like you see still on all standard BDL rifles.

They were indeed stamped "Varmint Special", I still have one. It was my first centerfire rifle purchased around 1979. I had the hardest time choosing a caliber but went with the .25-06. I replaced the barrel a few years ago but it was stamped as ".25-06 Varmint Special". I remember when I bought it, was the first year they also offered it in 7mm-08.

I'm 71 now and still carry that rifle for groundhog hunting.

Last edited:
Back