Sausage and Hamburger

weekender

Most of us have seen video or TV shows where the host has named the deer they are after or killed. My wife named these two after the fact. We decided we needed 3 deer to process our yearly quota of sausage and deerburger and yesterday we set out to get the meat. We had 3 days left in our season, and it only took 1 evening to get it done. My wife made 2 fine 140 yd shots to take two doe and I made a 200 yd shot and took a 2.5 yr old buck. One of my bucks horns fell off or shed where he dropped and the other came off in my hand when I grabbed it to roll him over. We have processed our own ground meat for the last 25 years and know what we have when we are done. My wife likes to video her hunts, some times it works good and others it doesn't. On the 2nd doe, her shooting sticks must have been in contact with the camera tripod and the tripod got bumped from the recoil. Here are a couple pics and video.

XzoJSS4.jpg

X3pYfsu.jpg

[video:youtube][/video]

[video:youtube] [/video]

Last edited:
Processing your own ground meat is a sure way to know what you are going to end up with. Good job for both of you. Thanks for the pictures and post.

Meat grinders are like lathes, go at least one bigger than you think you will ever need.

Grinder and a vacuum sealer, probably the two best investments I ever made.

Processing has gotten more expensive and worse service in these parts over the years.
May take me a while to do mine, but as mentioned you know exactly what you have.
Having three on the hook is a lot of work, even for two people.
I got to the point when I had that many I lined five gallon buckets with trash bags to throw trimmings and grinder meat in, stuck it in the freezer. Then I could grind all at once and not fool with clean up but once, and it always grinds better when very cold.

Good job by the Mrs. by the way.

We used to take a hand grinder and hook up a half inch drill to it, you could make a lot of burger that way. Drop a few pieces of bread in at the end to clean out the grinder of the big chunks and then use the ground up bread to make meatloaf, try adding a can of chopped chilis to your meatloaf.

Well done! There's something very satisfying about filling the freezer with fresh organic venison processed by one's own hand. We too process our own game and never have to doubt its quality.

Back