recomend a semi auto coyote shotgun

Originally Posted By: tripod3Gotta put a plug in for Browning, have had zero problems, lightweight light recoil.

When I bought a gas gun it's a Beretta. And I have never regretted that, though my old Benelli M1's seem to do all the real work around here. However, the Browning and Winchester gas guns are very good. With the addendum that Browning/Winchester has much better customer service than the Italian companies. The other side of that is that thankfully I've never needed customer service for the Benelli's and Beretta's I own. Browning and Winchester don't suck.

Originally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: crittr gittrWhat no love for the Versamax? I love mine with the 22" barrel.

It's heavy...

Eat your Wheaties!

Originally Posted By: crittr gittrOriginally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: crittr gittrWhat no love for the Versamax? I love mine with the 22" barrel.

It's heavy...

Eat your Wheaties!

LOL...

Browning 2000 is made by Beretta, they have soft recoil also. You can find them pretty cheap, with a cracked forearm, easily fixed with JB weld or Marine tex, paint the whole gun with Archery paint.

Beretta 390 is another soft recoil shotgun. I shot sporting clays for three years and never cleaned mine. They made a black matte with plastic stock if you can find one it will be inexpensive. These Beretta's just keep running.

I sold a Rem 1100 that I know that I killed at least 500 coyotes with in a standard fixed choke shooting 3" mags, just keep watch of the O ring gas seal, wipe the magazine tube off and do not oil.

Rem 11/87's are great, just watch the O ring and replace when it starts to get thin, and use Remignton O rings.

I still run a 11/87 and it shoots 20" patterns with OO and OOO Remington buck and 30" patterns with Rem #4 Rem buck with Carlson's turkey choke. Problem with me and Rem's is point of impact vs point of aim. I shoot a foot low and a foot to the left. So, I use a Burris speed beade on the 11/87.

The Beretta 391 with the kick off system is the cat's meow in recoil reduction along with gas operated.

I will be burried with a string of varmint calls around my neck, all decked out in camo, and my Beretta 391 in my right hand and Bible in my left hand.

Last edited:
CZ712 20" if your on a budget. I've been shooting a 28" CZ712 for birds but I prefer a short barrel for calling personally. Stoeger m3000 is also a good "budget" gun from what I've read.

Last edited:
No real world help here as I rarely am skilled enough to call em close enough for a scattergun but have been thoroughly impressed with my new version Browning A5 I got about 5 years ago. It would pack a stiff recoil with coyote loads but is nice and light to tote around. Gotta think the extra capacity with the extended mag I use for snow geese would be a nice option, cool if nothing else!

Side note: DAA and ackkeyman you two are my new idols! Your shotgun work is flat impressive. 500 with an 1100 is amazing!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mnblasternot cheap, not a entry level gun but I have killed running coyotes stone dead at 70 yds with my Rem SP10 loaded with #4 buckshot
Same here. Just bought a near new SP 10 with a 26 inch barrel and fitted it with a ported Pattern Master. It's a beast. Grizz

Considering the same question myself. Looking at a Maxus - If a semi-auto we have to restrict the mag capacity down to 2+1 so the speed load feature might be nifty

I have the Benelli Super Black Eagle II which really is an M2. It has the lightest recoil and it does not take forever to clean. It has never failed to cycle and not that heavy.

Just so people know, Beretta owns Benelli and many other firearm manufacturers. (Franchi, SAKO, Stoeger, Tikka, Uberti, and the Burris Optics company to name a few.)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NevadaZielmeisterI have the Benelli Super Black Eagle II which really is an M2.

Kinda sorta but not exactly. In my experience whenever I hear of a Benelli that has an issue with reliability nearly every time it is an SBE. The M1/M2 guns are nearly bulletproof but the SBE series doesn't completely share that same reputation.

Originally Posted By: msermanBenelli M2. I also have a Beretta A400 for bird hunting but the Benelli is still my favorite.

I like the feel of my M2, but for geese and predators my A400 is softer on my shoulder with the heavier loads.

Hef-A

Benelli M2,(SBE but I would still shoot 3") 26", 3" #4 Remington lead Buck... Dont settle for less(Franchi Stoeger etc.)If budget is issue and an auto is a must, I would get a weatherby gas op.Then move up when money has been saved.Hard to beat a good pump, that cycles smooth, with a interchangeable, fixed full or modified with them rem # 4's. A good amount of shotguns/factory loads go into what I've learned in posting this.

I have shot a Benelli m2 tactical for many years with zero malfunctions. Two years ago I picked up a Remington versa Max and it is also an outstanding shotgun from trap loads to buckshot, zero issues. I run an Ultradot red Dot sight on the Benelli and just use the factory fiber optics on the remington.

Here is a photo of the VersaMax ...

P.S. Don't you just LOVE the green zombie skull camo!
smile.gif

xmNQfC4h.jpg

Opinions vary on this topic and none of them are wrong so my take on shotgunning for coyotes is that I would buy a pump. Most people I know who even carry a shotgun while coyote hunting are using it as their secondary weapon, second to their varmint rifle. If that is the case, that shotgun is lying next to you in the dirt, in the snow, in the brush. I would want something I did not have to worry about cycling in those elements. Shotgunning coyotes is usually a one shot kill, unless you miss, so is there really an advantage in having a semiauto for that purpose?
I would look to pick up a 12 gauge synthetic pump action and use #4 buck.

Originally Posted By: WyoBullOpinions vary on this topic and none of them are wrong so my take on shotgunning for coyotes is that I would buy a pump. Most people I know who even carry a shotgun while coyote hunting are using it as their secondary weapon, second to their varmint rifle. If that is the case, that shotgun is lying next to you in the dirt, in the snow, in the brush. I would want something I did not have to worry about cycling in those elements. Shotgunning coyotes is usually a one shot kill, unless you miss, so is there really an advantage in having a semiauto for that purpose?
I would look to pick up a 12 gauge synthetic pump action and use #4 buck.

When I take a rifle and a shotgun on coyote calling stand I have the shotgun in my hands or lap and have my rifle sitting next to me.

If you try to switch to the shotgun you may not have time to do it, or when you move to put down the rifle and grab the shotgun the coyote just saw this movement and turned away.

For my style of hunting coyotes with both the rifle and the shotgun I need to shoot the shotgun with no movement until I am ready to shoot. I have more time to switch to my rifle if I need it.

I wish I had more one shot one kills with my shotgun but quite often it doesn't work out that way, so I like having a gas operated semi-auto that allows me to get off quick second and third shots if needed.

Most good coyote loads have a fair amount of recoil so most people can recover and shoot a second and third shot with a gas operated semi-auto a little quicker than a pump action shotgun. When you get a little older in age and it is cold and you haven't moved in 10 to 20 minutes, shooting quickly with a semi- auto is much easier than using a pump shotgun.

Back