Snowshoes

I was off to a feedlot today:
A cool but calm morning greeted me as I snuck into a spot where I could possibly intercept a coyote leaving the dead pile. Set up in front of a couple hay bales, put the face mask on, took some ranges of various landmarks, and turned on all my heated gear. Now let the coyote action begin!
Although it was 1F, I was toasty as could be.
The 223AI was the gun of choice today and as you can see in the picture, there is a pile of coyote tracks in the foreground.

Roughly fifteen minutes later, a scruffy looking coyote comes trotting along. It stops to investigate what a pair of magpies were up to and I take the opportunity to take the shot.
The 64 grain Berger catches the coyote square making number 43. ( shot at 107 yards)

Sat for another 20 minutes but never seen any other coyotes.
I decided to continue to a half mile west and see if I could call a coyote from one of the many bush patches. The plan was to set up on a fence line and as I was cresting the last knoll, I see a coyote to the southwest. Unfortunately the coyote seen me also and started barking. I’m not really sure if the coyote knew what I was but it did know my location.
I had no where to go, so I crawled further to the crest of the knoll before getting the bi-pod and rifle into position. Took a range and repeated a couple more times to confirm the 384 yardage. Adjusted the turret accordingly and touched off a shot. Watching the coyote drop was such a rewarding feeling, I almost patted myself on the back.
But I was a little quick with the celebration as the coyote is suddenly up and making its way to the southwest. It used the lay of the land to its advantage and all I got was glimpses of the departing dog. It was heading for a small slough and I figured it would lay down in the willow trees. Long story short, the coyote went right through that slough bottom and headed to the big timber a quarter mile south. I tracked the coyote for an hour but it quit bleeding and I lost the trail. The 1-3/4 mile walk back to the truck with nothing to show for my efforts was a tad disappointing. The truck however was a welcomed sight!

Congrats on getting another one of those ugly one out of the area. Been there and done that, see them drop then get up and all you got was exercise. This morning we had dense fog and it started raining at 7:45. Not going to be good until we get snow on top to quite the very loud CRUNCH. You are on your way to best numbers ever if I'm correct. Congrats

I'm always blown away at how far a leaking coyote can go. good on ya for making the attempt at recovery. Those unplanned walks make for a long treck to the truck.

Good story, thanks again for sharing, always enjoy reading them and seeing the pics...
All the best in 2020

Originally Posted By: lockrotorCongrats on getting another one of those ugly one out of the area. Been there and done that, see them drop then get up and all you got was exercise. This morning we had dense fog and it started raining at 7:45. Not going to be good until we get snow on top to quite the very loud CRUNCH. You are on your way to best numbers ever if I'm correct. Congrats
It is good to get those ugly ones "gone" too. Hope your weather conditions cooperate for you and yes, I am up a bit on the coyote count from the last couple years.
Originally Posted By: Schod03Keep the posts coming Snowshoes...truly enjoy you taking us along.
Thank you and I'll sure try and keep the post coming Schod03
Originally Posted By: YotarunnerI'm always blown away at how far a leaking coyote can go. good on ya for making the attempt at recovery. Those unplanned walks make for a long treck to the truck.
I was considering "Dialing a friend" for a ride back, lol
Originally Posted By: Displayed NameGreat hunts thanks for sharing!
Thank you Ryan
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: fratriGood story, thanks again for sharing, always enjoy reading them and seeing the pics...
All the best in 2020
Thank you Frank and all the best to you in 2020 also!

Originally Posted By: ThreewolvesThanks for the update. I read about the four the other day. Always inspiring
Thank you Threewolves,
thumbup1.gif

Back