Primo Shooting Stick?

I have the exact same one as in the link. I have not used it a whole lot, but it fits my style of hunting quite well. For on the stand mobility I don't sit directly on the ground or kneel. I use a 3 legged chair, and the Trigger Stick. The seat on my chair is 18" off the ground, if that helps. Might require a little more effort to pack than some other set ups, but I justify it for a more stable shooting platform, and lessening the chance of a miss.
Where the legs attach to the top, there is an adjustable collar. The collar allows the legs to spread out more, lowering the cradle another 8".
I previously had a Bog-Pod. That was a PITA, as each leg had to be adjusted individually. The Trigger Stick is a huge improvement, for me at least.
Hope this helps, Gregory

Last edited:
I have the Gen 3 Tall Tripod I like it for my style of hunting I mostly stand sometime sit on a camp stole I did have a Gen 2 bipod it went bad on me earlier this fall I will be getting a new one soon.

Better than freehand but there is time to set up on a coyote stand. A Night Stalker is far more stable. The Trigger Sticks are ideal for rapid deployment such as quick stalks where rapid deployment is key.

For the price the trigger stick provides a stable quick to adjust platform that I really appreciate when hunting solo. Sometimes Yotes like to come in from a location that requires you to move your gun. The trigger stick allows for quick movement without fooling around with the legs. You’ll have guys talk about death grips and what not. They’re great I’m sure, but you’re looking at $250-450 for some attachments or dealing with some of short comings of the more affordable Bog Pod. I love my trigger stick and use it for a lot more than just predator hunting.

From this thread back in late 2018...

Originally Posted By: DesertRamI use and really like the bipod version of Trigger Sticks. I've got Gen I and Gen II versions and have been considering an upgrade to the Gen III. I like them for a few reasons - stability, versatility, and weight. When I walk out to make a stand I don't know if I'll be sitting on the ground, sitting in my Critter Sitter, or standing. The Trigger Sticks let me adapt to pretty much any configuration I need. I like to be ready to call regardless of the terrain or vegetation, and the TS let me do that. They provide plenty of stability for shots at reasonable calling ranges. They do all that while being relatively lightweight and easy to carry. They're easy to reposition, and in a pinch you can just let them fall and go freehand. For my style of hunting, they're the best thing I've tried.

Not long after that I killed the bipod and replaced it with a tripod version, which I like much better. From this more recent thread...

Originally Posted By: DesertRamGo for it, I don't think you'll regret it. I have used all three generations. I still have and use a Gen 1 bidpod. I broke my Gen 2 bipod (my fault - I crammed it under the head of a dead oryx so I could get the right picture pose and it was more than it could bear), so I replaced that with a Gen 3 tripod. I've always used bidpods, so I was a bit hesitant to try the tripod. I've been using it for about a year now and love it. For my style of hunting, kind of a run and gun approach, it's perfect. I typically either sit in my Mojo Critter Sitter or stand, and the TS is ideal for that. I really like that the Gen 3 yolk is removable and the unit comes with an extra adapter. I use that on my camera to take "selfies." Fully extended, the TS is the perfect support for glassing long rangers while standing, something I have to do routinely in the brushy desert I hunt.

If you want to lock your rifle into a tripod though, don't get the TS. It's not robust enough for that. If you want a pretty solid bipod or tripod that you can deploy quickly, reposition easily, and get your rifle out of fast for up-close-and-personal use, the TS is a great option.

Bipods/tripods are probably the one piece of kit that I buy and go through the most. I've tried everything from trigger sticks, to bog pods, to Silk tripods with death grips and everything else in between. After all of that, 50% of the time I use a $14 pair of wooden shooting sticks and a tripod with death grips at night. The thing to remember is the heavier a platform and the more legs, the more cumbersome it will be when the coyote doesn't come from where you expect. Then they become more of a hinderance than a help. For these reasons I suggest bipods.

I've never hunted in Maine but I assume it's a lot like hunting in Northern Michigan. Sometimes in farm fields but more times wooded areas. The closer distance you will engage the coyote, the less gear you want in the way.

Just my two cents.

My first and best choice is a camera monopod, with v-adapter. Goes from 2' to 6' in length, have used in varied terrain of Colorado for decades. Doubles as a walking staff as well.

Just checked. I have enough LL Bean points for this? Buy it? It is free
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: andrews1958Just checked. I have enough LL Bean points for this? Buy it? It is free
smile.gif

I'd say "YES," and add that, if you ever call standing, consider the longer tripod version.

The cool thing about the Short Tripod one is that it can hold my rifle just leaned against it while I'm waiting for something to come in to the caller.

I did have to send mine back in because it came out of one its legs on me, and then when I tried to put it back in... didn't work right anymore... the trigger wouldn't let a problematic leg fall back down on its own anymore.

So far so good with the replacement one though. Try not to let any dirt get down into the sliding legs if you can help it.

Only nit-pick is on my pack that V head sticks up when I have it shoved into the side pockets of my large Kifaru EMR II pack and likes to catch on branches while I'm making my way thru narrow parts of a trail or next to brush sometimes.

Last edited:
I like the primos tripod. Light to carry and quick to set up. Not as heavy duty and stable as some but there are always trade offs.

I use a BOG death grip tripod. The newer ones have cam lock on legs instead of twist lock which failed in the past.

I like the steadiness from tripod. It does not have a ballpoint .

The weight can be a determining factor .. they are a heavy 8lbs .
It’s about the same as carrying a 2nd AR, which can suck.

I fitted mine w a sling for the longer walks.

If I had the money, I’d purchase a Predator tactics tripod. I had one in my hand at a show last fall.
I am on a budget since I’m a boat mechanic by trade and laid off from Nov thru mid March every year.

I just spent three full days of calling with my Trigger Stick tripod. I still love this thing and wanted to expand on a couple things.

First, it's quick to use. Yes I said that before, but it bears repeating. This thing is fast to set up. No twisting, no little cam buckle thingies, no clamps. Just squeeze the trigger, level it out, and you're good to go. Okay, maybe not a big deal since, as Korey stated, you often have time to set up right. However, what you don't have time for is resetting when a critter comes from an unexpected direction. With the TS, just pick it up and reset. With a squeeze its three legs independently adapt to whatever new terrain you place it on and in seconds you're back in position.

Second, and important in the areas I hunt, it's easy to get OUT of. I use mine a lot when running a shotgun. What, you ask? Yes, a shotgun. I set it up such that the shotgun is pointed in the direction I most expect a responding predator to come from. That allows me a free hand to work the remote or hand call, keeps the shotgun safely pointed "down range," minimizes movement when bringing the shotgun to bear (it's already up and not laying across my lap), and reduces fatigue since I only have to support the shotgun from the rear. And, when a predator comes in from an unexpected direction, as you all know they are wont to do, it's a simple matter to lift the shotgun (or rifle for that matter) and quickly engage a close-in, moving target. With the tripod version, I no longer worry about it falling in the dirt. It just stands there happily waiting for me to return the shotgun or rifle to its loving embrace.

And again, it makes a great tripod for using a timed camera to take selfies.
smile.gif

Well I’m the one guy that you might not want to hear from, lol. I love the light weight and speed of the bi-pod & tri-pod triggers sticks, I own both. However after the tripod which I have a triclawps on top of dropped my rifle, scope, coyotelight twice when a leg collapsed I about puked each time it hit the ground ! How they were undamaged both times still amazes me. The first time I will take the blame for as there is a little lever you have to engage to lock the legs, which I forgot to do. The second time it was engaged.

I also have a Nightstalker tripod which some probably consider bulky or cumbersome. I carry this 95% of the time now. I leave the legs extended out for rapid deployment & carry it in. I’m sure I don’t hike in as far as many of you do. I will add, use a little bit of blue locktite on the feet & nut on the Nightstalker.

I’m not trying to knock any products, just sharing my experience from the school of hard knocks.

Last edited:
I use my Gen 3 Trigger Stick tripod often. Besides the typical uses, I can stop when walking between snowy stands and hang my rifle, pack and coat on it while I take a quick break. I carry them fully extended when mule deer hunting in Montana and stop frequently to glass by resting my binocs in the "Y", making for smooth long range scanning.

Anyone who gets one is advised to attach something like paracord to the handle and the "Y" as I have had the "Y" come unscrewed several times and would have lost it without the cord.

Primos_Trigger_Sticks_Gen2.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pa. MickWell I’m the one guy that you might not want to hear from, lol.

I’m not trying to knock any products, just sharing my experience from the school of hard knocks.

Ah, I have no vested interested, so share away! That's what this place is all about. I have never had mine slip once engaged, but I don't use it to fully support a rigged out rifle. It's just a rest to stabilize. That shouldn't matter though, as it should hold that weight. Based on what little I know of night hunting, I'd probably opt for something sturdier too. We don't get to hunt at night. In my experience, and for my style of hunting, the TS is about perfect. But they're just a tool in the toolbox that could be switched out for something better for the job at hand.

A friend of mine gave me a monopod because he didn't like it. I didnt either. I purchased a Primos bipod, thought it was ok at best. Then I caught a sale on the gen 3 trigger stick tripod. I really like it. It dont pack bad, works well on uneven surfaces and make a nice steady rest. Now that i have used it,I wish I would have gotten at least 2 of them.

Has anybody placed some kind of gripper/claw on top of their gen 3 tripod instead of the factory V yoke it came with?

Back