Where does the 17WSM fit in?

pyscodog

I know to some it probably sounds like a stupid question. Those don't need to reply. I have rifles ranging from 22 LR to 270 Win and just trying to figure out what to do with this 17WSM. IMO, not enough gun for coyotes and way to much for squirrels. I have a 22K-Hornet and a 223 as well as 22-250AI so coyote rifles are pretty much covered. I don't hunt squirrels so that doesn't matter much. I bought it more of an impulse buy, added a nice stock and bed the action and now just wonder what to do with it. LOL Granted, its fun to shoot and pretty accurate to but I'm just not sure if I want to hang on to it or maybe trade or sell it and get something I'll use more.

Fox, cats, PD's, GS, Jackrabbits, close in coyotes, called raccoon/spotlighted along the shore for the guy that doesn't reload, finds it is easier to just buy a bunch instead of reloading a bunch or is in a rimfire only area. Pretty much anywhere you would use a 22 Magnum but with a flatter trajectory and maybe a little more accuracy.

I do like not having to reload for it. And it is pretty accurate with Amer.Eagle 20 grain bullets. It will make a good turtle thumper come summer. Never ever killed a single PD, and I don't know if Okla even has ground squirrels. We use to have a lot of Jacks but they seem pretty scarce around my area these days. I'm just not sure I need it that bad. I have more guns than I really need now. But when did need make a difference?

The 20 gr load will kill the heck out of coyotes under 125 yards with a good operator. Have a buddy that I hunt with several times a year and he uses one, like I use my 17 Fireball when we are in close calling stands. Thats a lot of stands for us. His box 20 gr loads do almost as much kill damage as my 17 Fireball 25 gr Berger loads. On some, maybe even more on others. DRT is certainly typical.

If you are looking for or want a close in gun that doesn't recoil and you dont need to reload for this ain't a bad way to go. As with any rifle, a lot depends on the "ability" of the operator. I will add, its a typical Winchester loaded rimfire round so there will be a flyer every now and then. However, in the mean time, it kind of a rip to shoot.

Just some thoughts. YMMV

Last edited:
I need to try one someday, the coyote and fox will hate it.
grin.gif

I got involved in the 17 WSM hype by buying a laminate stock/stainless Ruger 77/17 with an 18.5" barrel early this past summer. It shoots the 20 grain ammo extremely well, and I'm not sorry for spending considerably more money for it than a B-Mag costs. I have a friend who owns a walnut/blue 20" barreled Ruger chamber for the 17 WSM cartridge, and it too shoots very well.

btw - the 17 WSM is a cartridge and not a caliber.

For shooting small game I'd say a .22lr is hard to beat. But for shooting varmints I'd rather have the .17WSM over both the .22Mag or .17HMR. I've shot truck loads of stuff with all of them and for an all around cartridge that's capable of killing a coyote and destroying prairie dogs and things like that the .17WSM is the best I've used so far.

On a side note I wish they'd come up with a .22WSM. I'm a .22 guy so I know I'd own one if they did. You talk about a varmint thumpin little dude, that'd be one I assure you.

Once again like tools in a tool box. Some folks have use for quite a bit others not so much.
Kinda like the 11/32 wrench in some sets, once in a while once to have.

I built mine to handle varmints at hand and have along as a close walking gun for p dogs.

There are quite a few folks that have the same thoughts on a better platform gun/guns available.
The ammo is so so. Though some claim one brand shoots better than the other even when WW makes all of it.

I was already to sell my Savage and move to a “better” platform. After a bunch of reading on the 17wsm there were two articles that made me stop. About all of the platforms with a large variety of the ammo was tested side by side. Across the board in a nutshell they all shot close to MOA or under. Average was 7/8”@100. They all had flyers. Consensus was as pointed out by others, ammo is an issue.

I doubt a rechamber would work. Yes it could be done, but firing pin may be the issue.

With just about any RF, ammunition quality is a very common thread when accuracy issues surface. Sometimes its something else, but off the shelf ammo is the normal culprit. Its why "target grade" ammo sells easily to the serious RF shooters

Like many things, they make it cheap so that they can sell it cheap. Hence quality suffers.

Originally Posted By: Winny FanWith just about any RF, ammunition quality is a very common thread when accuracy issues surface. Sometimes its something else, but off the shelf ammo is the normal culprit. Its why "target grade" ammo sells easily to the serious RF shooters

Like many things, they make it cheap so that they can sell it cheap. Hence quality suffers.

That pretty well nailed it!

I'm a big 17 WSM fan, mine is my "go to" rimfire rifle and here in our western states we have a decent supply of ground squirrels and for high volume ground squirrel shooting where you can go through 300-500rnds a day for multiple days in a row, shot at distances from up close to out there about as far as you'd like to try, the 17 WSM IMO is the perfect tool for the job.

As I've said before, if you're looking for a precision bench rest quality shooting rifle, the 17 WSM is not the cartridge for you, but, if MOS (minute of squirrel) will due and you're looking for something that gives you a little more everything than the 17 HMR has to offer, the 17 WSM will likely make you very happy. If someone wants a cartridge they can really dial in, but is still very small, then you need to skip the rimfires and get yourself a 17 Hornet, or better yet, get both.

I tried three different "BRANDS" of ammo, the Hornady 20 grain, American Eagle 20 grain and Browning 25 grain. Seems the American Eagle shot the tightest groups with 5 shots @ 100yds under an inch and had the least amount of "flyers". Even though it is said the bullets are all manufactured by the same company, the AE did shoot the best in my rifle. May be a fluke, maybe not, but I'll buy more to have on hand.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeI wish the 17 WSM would have been before the 17 HMR. I also wish there was a few good action choices for it.

I'm right there with you on both counts. I really like my
Savage CF's but after picking up the one for 17WSM, my only
thought was, "Ain't gonna happen." My tack-driving Marlin 17VS
is never going down the road. For what it won't handle, there's
a Tac20 and/or a .204 Ruger. I would be tempted to fit a 17WSM
between the two calibers IF there was a suiting rifle made.

My smith has a Ruger 77. Mines a BMag. My rifle, IMO, shoots better than his Ruger and at half the cost. I don't like the rotary mag in the Savage as it is kind of a PITA to load at times and the cock on close takes a bit to get use to but none are really deal breakers. Mines the stainless HB and it came in the tupperware stock but that was replaced with a Boyd's before it ever made a trip to the range. The Ruger is by far the nicer quality rifle, no arguing that at all but I couldn't see paying that much on a rifle that I'm not ever sure what to do with yet and I just wanted first hand experience with the 17WSM CARTRIDGE. There are other brands of rifles but the prices go up.....and up. Winchester has a single shot but it will run in the $1000-$1200 range. Some in the AR platforms as well.

Back